Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Best CHI-NYP route

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

Perhaps if they were building it today, and weren't much concerned with going thru the middle of 'nowhere', with no business potential, they could follow the French TGV model, and go in a straight line just to serve the end points....but airplanes would still do much better over that great a distance...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#42 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

So I guess the Pennsylvanian/Capitol Limited route is the most direct, the Cardinal's is the prettiest but longest, and the Lake Shore is the best for Massachusetts and New York.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#43 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,716 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

So I guess the Pennsylvanian/Capitol Limited route is the most direct, the Cardinal's is the prettiest but longest, and the Lake Shore is the best for Massachusetts and New York.

Indeed. It would be possibly a few miles shorter than the LSL. Via Fort Wayne was 50 miles shorter than the LSL route, but now it has to travel up all the way to Cleveland to then follow the LSL route, so the difference is probably quite a bit less.

• cpotisch likes this

#44 IndyLions

IndyLions

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:16 PM

For me, the “best” route is the current LSL, but the “best to add” would be a slightly longer route that travels southern Michigan instead of northern IN. It has the greater potential to add ridership both ways. The only significant city bypassed is South Bend IN (already served by LSL/CL), and you add Detroit - Dearborn - Ann Arbor - Battle Creek - Kalamazoo and less rail traffic headaches. The only big issue is DET-TOL, which is a short section the state of MI could purchase for upgrade.

Where it travels east of Cleveland I’ll leave it to others to debate the LSL route vs the BL/TR route. If Philly complains about 2 extra hours through MI, he can always take the Cardinal instead :)

#45 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

For me, the “best” route is the current LSL, but the “best to add” would be a slightly longer route that travels southern Michigan instead of northern IN. It has the greater potential to add ridership both ways. The only significant city bypassed is South Bend IN (already served by LSL/CL), and you add Detroit - Dearborn - Ann Arbor - Battle Creek - Kalamazoo and less rail traffic headaches. The only big issue is DET-TOL, which is a short section the state of MI could purchase for upgrade.

Where it travels east of Cleveland I’ll leave it to others to debate the LSL route vs the BL/TR route. If Philly complains about 2 extra hours through MI, he can always take the Cardinal instead :)

I have  no problem with the extra 2 hours if it brings in the extra ridership/revenue from Michigan. 2 hours is not a substantial penalty for more R/R. Also Amtrak owns a lot of the track on the Michigan line and can achieve higher speeds on the line. I think it would be great to have a train from Michigan to the East Coast and have it go through Pittsburgh/Philly. I have suggested this several times. PA gets its one seat ride to Chicago and MI gets its one seat ride to Philly/NY. Both sides win.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#46 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

Indeed. It would be possibly a few miles shorter than the LSL. Via Fort Wayne was 50 miles shorter than the LSL route, but now it has to travel up all the way to Cleveland to then follow the LSL route, so the difference is probably quite a bit less.
Here are the distances for all current routes:
925-Capitol Limited to Pennsylvanian
959-Lake Shore Limited
1005-Capitol Limited to NEC
1147-Cardinal

Here are the approximate travel times for a through train on each route:
19:05-Capitol Limited to Pennsylvanian
19:29-Lake Shore Limited
21:47-Capitol Limited to NEC
27:45-Cardinal

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 21 April 2018 - 11:21 PM.

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#47 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

959-Lake Shore Limited
1147-Cardinal
17:29-Lake Shore Limited
Lake Shore Limited is almost 20 hours, not 17.

And the CL/NER from CHI NYP is actually 1006 miles.
(Yes, Im a jerk)

Edited by cpotisch, 21 April 2018 - 06:41 PM.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service, Downeaster w/ Great Dome

Wish List: Auto Train, Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome

#48 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:19 PM

959-Lake Shore Limited
1147-Cardinal
17:29-Lake Shore Limited
Lake Shore Limited is almost 20 hours, not 17.

And the CL/NER from CHI NYP is actually 1006 miles.
(Yes, Im a jerk)
You are correct about the LSL; it was a typo. As to the CL/NER, the difference is probably just due to a rounding error.
  • cpotisch likes this
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SEA-LAX, CZ CHI-RIC, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB SEA-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS/NYP-CHI, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-CLT, SM ORL-NYP, SS MIA-NYP

#49 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:47 PM

AA Shuttle....733   :giggle:

And the last flight I took from ORD to LGA lasted 1 hour and 31 minutes, gate to gate 1 hour and 48 minutes... :)

Edited by railiner, 22 April 2018 - 12:09 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#50 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:08 AM

AA Shuttle....733   :giggle:

And the last flight I took from ORD to LGA lasted 1 hour and 31 minutes, gate to gate 1 hour and 48 minutes... :)

Whoah. Usually takes me about 2 1/2 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users