92(30) & 91(30) Troubles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now there's something you don't see everyday. 91 and 92 are both off their normal routes, detouring between Dillon and Hamlet, at the same time.

jb

I have a picture of the map. How do I append it to this post?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now there's something you don't see everyday. 91 and 92 are both off their normal routes, detouring between Dillon and Hamlet, at the same time.

jb

I have a picture of the map. How do I append it to this post?
When you reply to a post (such as one you already made here), you can click "More Reply Options". When the page reloads, you can then attach a file at the bottom of the page.

In the reply box click the "more reply options" and then click the little picture icon in the second toolbar. Enter the URL to the picture. (You have to host it somewhere)

add-image-button.jpg

Headed south into Columbia. About midway between Camden and Columbia. I was feeling depressed so I drove out to the track.

They shoved back to Hamlet, around the connection and waited west of the diamond to come east to Maple.

Last edited by a moderator:
91 made it to Columbia, then held for a decision on the track condition. The train was turned and sent back to Hamlet where it detoured via the CSX Andrews Sub to Dillon, SC and joined the A-line.

Wow I wish I would have known that. I would have chased it. Any word on tonight's trains? I would have thought rerouting on the Eastover Sub and Lane sub via Sumter would have been better. But either way if it's rare millage in the am tomorrow I'm going after it

I don't think Hamlet and Southern Pines get much ridership so it could be another possibility to reverse at Raleigh or Cary back to Selma-Smithfield and continue in the correct direction from there. If NCDOT has extra equipment they could even run a shuttle train from Selma-Smithfield to Raleigh and Cary, or possibly even further it there is a sufficient number of passengers.

Wow I wish I would have known that. I would have chased it. Any word on tonight's trains? I would have thought rerouting on the Eastover Sub and Lane sub via Sumter would have been better. But either way if it's rare millage in the am tomorrow I'm going after it
They are scheduled to operate via their normal route with slow orders.

I don't think Hamlet and Southern Pines get much ridership so it could be another possibility to reverse at Raleigh or Cary back to Selma-Smithfield and continue in the correct direction from there. If NCDOT has extra equipment they could even run a shuttle train from Selma-Smithfield to Raleigh and Cary, or possibly even further it there is a sufficient number of passengers.
NCDOT isn't that generous. They don't pay for 91/92 so they could care less.

I saw the same, on Amtrak.com's train tracking map.

I am curious why both show trains 91 and 92, not on either rail route? Are these maps based on the actual GPS coordinates of the trains at the time?
Yes, they use the GPS coordinates. GPS unit is on the engine. If you expand that map all the way you can see the rail lines that are not Amtrak routes.

Why is it that people on an Amtrak supporters forum keep coming up with ideas to discontinue Amtrak service where it exists today?
If you are referring to what I said, that was just an idea for a temporary solution. I would never suggest discontinuing a route, especially one that goes through a major capital city such as Columbia. I agree as I have seen multiple posts actually suggesting permanently discontinuing an Amtrak route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back