Changing from roomette to H room on points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooh2

Service Attendant
I have read that the H room becomes available at 14 days out to the general public.

(I have a walking disability and a H placard but do not use wheeled mobility device, just walking stick so did not try to book the H room initially).

I read that under the old AGR system, you could book the H room on the same amount of points as a roomette with qualifying documentation (the H placard).

If there is still an H room available at 14 days, could I switch my reservation for the same amount of points that I booked the roomette using my placard?

The roomette was the only one left and on the upper level. Would preferred not to have to struggle with the stairs.

Would I call AGR to inquire about the switch at 14 days, or regular Amtrak number?

When it's released 14 days before the train leaves, a person without a disability (or a person with a non-qualifying disability) typically has to pay the bedroom rate for the room. A person with a qualifying disability can book the room, as available, at the roomette rate.

There is no advantage to waiting until 14 days before the train leaves to see if you can get the room at the roomette rate. If you are eligible for the room at the roomette rate, you should be able to switch to it now.

I got the impression from the Amtrak site that you need a wheeled device and a cane and walking disability would not qualify to book ahead of the 14 days.

I will call and see what kind of answer I get.

Thanks for the input.

If you have a walking disability and require a cane, you should qualify for a H room.

I have on two occasions.

I called AGR to see if I could switch to the H room or a lower level roomette. There are no roomettes left on the train.

There are H rooms available but it would be an increase of over 9,000 points over the roomette cost. I am quite a few points short so going to see what it might cost to purchase those points and hope the H room is still available at that point.

Thanks for all the input.

Wait. If you have a qualifying disability then the H room is priced like a roomette. Otherwise it is priced like a bedroom. So are those extra points because roomettes are in a high bucket or because they priced it like a bedroom?

Wait. If you have a qualifying disability then the H room is priced like a roomette. Otherwise it is priced like a bedroom. So are those extra points because roomettes are in a high bucket or because they priced it like a bedroom?
She said the H room would cost me 9,000 plus points over what we paid for the roomette despite having a qualifying disability.

They would not give me the same points price as when we booked a month ago to switch to the H room despite that would free up a roomette for sale at their now higher price.

Maybe the rules for AGR redemption and the H room have changed in since the new program rolled out?

I would call back, and if you get the same answer, ask for a supervisor. IMNO, there should be no increase in price.
Called back and got a different rep.

Instead of charging me an additional 9,000 points, she gave me back a couple thousand points!

Thank you for the advice.

Back