Questions on the Cascades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
On 7/6/16, I will be taking the 510 Amtrak Cascades from Seattle, WA, to Vancouver, BC, and I want to ask a few questions about the train.
1. Do they announce when the train crosses the border, (I don't want roaming charges on my phone)
2. What is the security check like in Vancouver
3. Is the ride relatively smooth
4. If I am correct, the train does not stop at the border, right?
5. Is the tilting system on the Talgo train sets any good
6. Is the 110 MPH service only south of Seattle, because the on-time average speed is >40 MPH
7. Is there decent food aboard
8. Does the train go through Stevens Pass, or is that only the Empire Builder
thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
1. IME the train crew does announce the impending border crossing, but as KmH stated, it's relatively easy to figure it out yourself. If it's really important to you, shut it down when you reach the Bellingham station stop.

2. If, by "security check" you are referring to customs and immigration, it's similar to what you'd encounter when arriving on an airline flight. No biggie. Business Class passengers get to go through the line first. If you've checked a bag, you have to claim it trainside before you go through immigration. But this is explained clearly by the crew.

3. Smooth in parts, rough in other parts. IOW, similar to most other Amtrak routes in that respect.

4. Does not stop northbound. Southbound stops for (useless) customs check.

5. Not sure what you mean by "any good" but it's a nice enough ride. I suspect the vast majority of passengers are unaware of the tilting mechanism.

6. There is no 110 mph service anywhere on the Cascades route. I believe it tops out at 79 mph. I'm sure there are spots north of Seattle where you'll hit 79 mph or thereabouts, but I can't say for sure.

7. In my opinion the cafe car offerings are generally better than the standard Amcafe lineup. Popular items frequently sell out, though, so you probably want to head there on the early side if you absolutely need to eat. There is no at-seat dining car.

8. No. The route stays fairly close to the "coast", which is to say the Puget Sound.

You might get a consist that has Superliner equipment instead of a Tango set. Standard Cafe Menu items at High Prices (although the Talgo Bistro Cars have better choices)but the Talgos seem more European than the standard Amtrak consists. .

I'd eat breakfast before boarding the Train and you reach Vancouver @ Lunch time, tons of places to eat there!

The ride isn't all that fast but the view aling Puget Sound ( left side)is great.

When you reach Vancouver ( bring your Passport) the train will pull into Pacific Central Station into a fenced off platform and you'll De-train with your bsgs and go through Canadian C&I at a desk before entering the Station.

They'll look at your paperwork, ask you the standard questions why you are visiting Canadian etc.?), maybe check your luggage. Business class gets to go first, so may be worth it if the train is crowded!

Once you're in the Station you're good to go! The Sky Train (elevated)is right out front and can get you most places in greater Vancouver, buy a day pass!

There is currently no Superliner substitute set running on any of the Cascades services, so you don't have to worry about that.

The menu is not the standard national cafe menu and it is considerably better. There are a lot of regional specialties, like Ivar's Clam Chowder, Tim's Cascade potato chips, regional microbrews, cookies from local bakeries. Washington and Oregon DOTs, the contractors for the service, have mandated a different menu. It is still kind of expensive for what it is, though.

They do announce the border and usually specifically refer to the cellphone service.

The best side for scenery is the Puget Sound/Salish Sea side, it is the left side northbound. You will be beside the water for long streches between Seattle and Everett, between Mt. Vernon and Bellingham, and north of Blaine through White Rock, BC.

The tilting system is passive and works just fine. The track is by and large pretty smooth. No Cascades service go faster than 79mph anywhere as none of the track is more than FRA Class 4 for the US portions. It is fairly slow and curvy between Mt. Vernon and Bellingham and through portions of BC. It takes a kind of meandering route through BC's Lower Mainland. It will hit 79 between Marysville and Mt. Vernon and between Bellingham and Blaine.

Train splits off from the Steven's Pass route (Scenic Subdivision) at Everett.

Something that helps if you have a smart phone is to go into your settings and set roaming for both data and voice to off. That should tell your phone not to talk with any cell tower other than the ones contracted for your carrier in the United States.

But it's still a roll of the dice as to whether you get a seat with an unobstructed view, especially when boarding in SEA where you are not permitted to select your own seat.

Easy fix if you get a seat on the "wrong" side of the train. Hang out in the lounge ("bistro") car. It's a really nice car on the cascades train, originally intended and used as a full service diner.

Yeah, definitely shut down roaming before you get to the border. It's not like radio waves know to stop directly at the border :)

What would "obstruct" your view
The posts that separate the windows. Not all the seats align well with these posts. In some cases you will have to lean forward or recline your seat in order to look out the window. To me the difference is significant between those seats and one that offers a completely unobstructed view.

Check out this photo on Yelp to get a sense of what I mean. It's not as though you can't see out the window at all, but it's less enjoyable (IMO) when you have to lean forward to see out the window.

What would "obstruct" your view
Worth considering: Take Business Class/ on the Talgos you have the nice 2x1 Seating and they don't assign seats!

Also you used to get a $3 Voucher for the Bistro Car, not sure if you still do??
You still get the $3 voucher.
Me and my dad are taking a budget trip, sort of, we are budgeting from MSP-SEA-VAC, then taking the Via Canadian, in sleeper plus, which is very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back