Cardinal Vs Flooding in W. Va

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
On TV, the coverage of the extreme flooding in W. Virginia is showing pictures of White Sulphur Springs and is mentioning Green Briar.

Is there any word of cancellation of the Cardinal for the next few days?

It's been in service disruption for a couple of days already. Remember it's only a 3 day a week train.

Today's(6/25) 50 terminates at IND, tomorrow's(6/26) 51 originates at IND (which will actually be the morning of 6/27). Host railroad's tracks are closed East of IND.

I called AGR and they told me that as of now #50 is not cancelled. I need to leave my house in about 48 hours to get to Chicago if I am going to be on the Cardinal Tuesday.

If I could, I would just go ahead cancel my reservation, but I would be charged 20% because I have a roomette.

With my last and only other experience with a cancelled train, i was called 3 hours before the train was to depart.

Here are the operative words (emphasis mine):

as of now #50 is not cancelled.
They are hoping for restoration by Monday or Tuesday. However, the damage to three of the subdivisions that the Cardinal uses is extensive. Ultimately, CSX makes the call and while it is possible all routes are restored, it is certainly possible they may say "we still can't handle the Cardinal."

I'd detail your dilemma to a supervisor ASAP.

Here are the operative words (emphasis mine):

as of now #50 is not cancelled.
They are hoping for restoration by Monday or Tuesday. However, the damage to three of the subdivisions that the Cardinal uses is extensive. Ultimately, CSX makes the call and while it is possible all routes are restored, it is certainly possible they may say "we still can't handle the Cardinal."

I'd detail your dilemma to a supervisor ASAP.
Much appreciated. Thank you.

I just now got the cancellation email from Amtrak.

I hope I can get all of my points back for the return trip since my trip to Washington has been cancelled.
Call AGR, and if necessary Customer Relations Betty! When paid trips are cancelled by Amtrak you receive a 100% refund or a Voucher, this should be no different, but who really knows under AGR2.0 and the current "Less for More!" that Amtrak is offering their Customers!

Thanks, Jim. Cancelling the reservations was the first thing I did. Then I cancelled the hotel.

Now that I have everything packed and ready to go, I trying to figure out where to go. Maybe I'll just wait until Fall when the weather is better.

Please keep the reports coming as they come in. Another AU member here will be on that train in a few weeks. AFAIK most of the damage has to be in Greenbrier county WV. Need to make a decision to either change our booking to another train or wait it out. Right now we are waiting it out. Depending on the damage and how fast CSX works, the tracks could be out for a month. Hopefully that will not be the case. I view this as a day to day situation. .

Please keep the reports coming as they come in. Another AU member here will be on that train in a few weeks. AFAIK most of the damage has to be in Greenbrier county WV. Need to make a decision to either change our booking to another train or wait it out. Right now we are waiting it out. Depending on the damage and how fast CSX works, the tracks could be out for a month. Hopefully that will not be the case. I view this as a day to day situation. .
There are multiple washouts along the route. It will take time to repair but at least the next trip from CHI should make it past IND.

There are multiple washouts along the route. It will take time to repair but at least the next trip from CHI should make it past IND.
Where will they turn it? Cincinnati maybe? Amtrak tends to only want to turn trains where they have a place to do it and where there is a crew base.

I'm scheduled on 51 in about two weeks from now. Hope they have it going, and without slow orders.
I read a while back that CSX has the equipment and resources to lay down 1 mile of track per day. Lets take a worse case scenario that 5 miles of track need to be repaired. That should in theory take 5 days or sooner if small sections are involved. My optimistic guess is that Cardinal service may return sometime next week.

I'm scheduled on 51 in about two weeks from now. Hope they have it going, and without slow orders.
I read a while back that CSX has the equipment and resources to lay down 1 mile of track per day. Lets take a worse case scenario that 5 miles of track need to be repaired. That should in theory take 5 days or sooner if small sections are involved. My optimistic guess is that Cardinal service may return sometime next week.
There have been indications that it will be running this week. Maybe as early as today for 50 and tomorrow for 51. Nothing "official" but I believe them.

There have been indications that it will be running this week. Maybe as early as today for 50 and tomorrow for 51. Nothing "official" but I believe them.
If that's the case then its great news and calming news for someone around here.. My wife thought that the sky was falling and has been busy calling the airlines......and our Cardinal - Denver trip is in 5 weeks!!!! The only concern might be for people that have to make a connection at CHI. During track repair,In the first couple of weeks Cardinal trips might encounter slow orders. Sounds like CSX is on top of things though. I guess freight is money and the freight must move through.

From CSX:

CSX Customer Advisory – CSX Resumes Limited Railroad Operations in West Virginia

June 28, 2016

CSX Transportation has resumed limited railroad operations through West Virginia following historic flooding in the area. Normal train operations have not yet resumed due to continuing washout conditions. A timeline to resume full service has not been determined at this time. CSX Engineering continues to assess track conditions and anticipates having the main line restored by the end of the week. Customers with traffic through the area should still expect some delays during this period.

Additional updates will be provided as CSX operations continues to monitor and re-evaluate the situation immediately on the ground and rail network.
CSX Advisory 6/28/16

UPDATE: Cardinal #51 due to arrive in CHI today Thursday 6/30/16 2:16 late. The good news is that the line has reopened through WV. It is reasonable to expect delays to continue due to ongoing track repairs /and or backed up freight consists for a few more days if not longer..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well 50(30) has gone into service disruption in WV now. It departed HUN just over 4 hours late, but it began to lose time in Indiana though, so it could be related to something else and busy freight lines. 51(1) is about to enter WV this afternoon so we'll see how it does. Hoping I can make my Empire Builder connection in about 10 days from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back