"Leasing" private cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
I am thinking of trying to convince my family to "lease" some private cars and hook them up to the Empire Builder from MSP-SEA-MSP, any suggestions would be appreciated, low cost ones would be ideal, but I mnow this can be very expensive, but I was thinking the Minnesota River, Super Dome, and Cedar Rapids cafs from Friend of 261, because these include showers, a kitchen, a "SUPER DOME", and the beautiful glass backed obsevation car. Any help is very appreciated, we will want fully finished, Amtrak certified cars, for renting/leasing only, NO PURCHASING, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking of trying to convince my family to "lease" some private cars and hook them up to the Empire Builder from MSP-SEA-MSP, any suggestions would be appreciated, low cost ones would be ideal, but I mnow this can be very expensive, but I was thinking the Minnesota River, Super Dome, and Cedar Rapids cafs from Friend of 261, because these include showers, a kitchen, a "SUPER DOME", and the beautiful glass backed obsevation car. Any help is very appreciated, we will want fully finished, Amtrak certified cars, for renting/leasing only, NO PURCHASING, thanks
The Amtrak tariff for the first car is $2.10 per mile, and each additional car is $1.60 per mile, assessed from the original parking spot to the same spot, unless the car is being repositioned. If you are still interested, might I suggest the Sierra Hotel, as that is a dome business sleeper car, everything you need in a single car, based in Chicago.

How large is the group? If it is literally just the family three cars is majorly overkill. Especially the 261 cars which are regularly on the road. I always recommend the Stampede Pass. It is Chicago based and comes for two grand a day plus millage. Dome, lounge, and sleeping space. And really good food. And a great staff.

How large is the group? If it is literally just the family three cars is majorly overkill. Especially the 261 cars which are regularly on the road. I always recommend the Stampede Pass. It is Chicago based and comes for two grand a day plus millage. Dome, lounge, and sleeping space. And really good food. And a great staff.
between 30 and 60 people, most of my relatives

Most of the sleepers available have just 22 beds available, so you will need at minimum 2, possibly 3 cars. Total costs can be estimated at ~$40000.

Most of the sleepers available have just 22 beds available, so you will need at minimum 2, possibly 3 cars. Total costs can be estimated at ~$40000.
If I am correct, a roomette is for one person, deluxe roomette is for one, and a double bedroom is two beds?

If I am correct, a roomette is for one person, deluxe roomette is for one, and a double bedroom is two beds?
I'm just relaying how many beds are in each car, not rooms. Every private car is different, so consult with the owners of the cars to determine what would be best for your group.

beds, because there are a lot of moms with small kids that can sleep in one bed, even small ones

beds, because there are a lot of moms with small kids that can sleep in one bed, even small ones
I still recommend you have a conversation with the owners of the cars to determine the maximum capacity and the maximum number of people they would allow on their cars.

The American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners (website www.aaprco.com) can provide most everything you need to know, including some links to cars availalbe for lease.

Why don't you send me a PM. I work in the private car world. And I'm willing to help you sort it out and get what your group needs. Stampede Pass is too small for your group. I might be able to help you.

$40,000 :eek:

That's more than Amtrak annual profit. :p
But if divided by 60 passengers,,,,the fare per would be downright reasonable....$666. each for first class transportation....even if only divided by 30 passengers, still reasonable.....

Back