crescent NOL-NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonys96

Conductor
We will be taking the Crescent from NOL to NYP in late August. Spending a few days in NOL area (g/f did her doctoral dissertation on post Katrina communications breakdown and she wants to revisit) and then taking Crescent to NYP for a few days in NYC.

Any tips on boarding Crescent, (we are staying in the French Quarter at HI Chateau Lemoyne) things to look for, sights and things to do on the way to NYP, what to do at NYP (eg. how to get from train to a cab) and any other pointers. Staying in Manhattan, but want to do several things in NYP. Staten Island Ferry, go to Coney Island, Central PArk, NY Public Library and a show. Might get tix to a radio show taping in Brooklyn!

This is the trip we scheduled with the new AGR2.0 changeover day and we are in Bedroom A. Any thoughts about that? First time in a bedroom, have done many roomette trips.

Anyone done the Crescent lately? How is the food, service, etc?

Thanks for any and all help!

Nice trip Tony! You'll enjoy crossing the Lake on the Causeway out of NOL, then having breakfast in the Diner.

I've ridden this route many times, both in the Southern and Amtrak days, and have never had a bad trip. The last time was on the way to WAS for the Gathering last Oct. Changes in the Menu night have messed up really good meals, let's hope not! (.tge Diner crews are NYP based and the rest of the OBS are our of NOL)

Not much to see after you leave the swamps and head thru Mississippi and Alabama on to Atlanta where the train usually fills up and heads thru the Carolinas in the dark missing some great scenery.

I prefer the Viewliners Roomettes to Bedroom A and B, but the H Bedroom is the Best Amtrak has, it's like an Apartment. Sometimes the Bedrooms on Viewliners have Circulation problems and can be hot or cold compared to the Rokmettes,luck of the draw!

Having breakfast as you roll thru beautiful Virginia is a real treat if they still allow the chefs to cook it right, the Southern Crescent used to have the Best Breakfasts of all the Class I Roads.

Of course CVS is a beautiful town and the approach into WAS is a nice sight from a train.

Since the Cafe/Lounges on the Single Level LD Trains suck, your best sight seeing will be done from your Room and the Diner!

We're envious,two great cities connected by a Train ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree. When I do my ATL-NYP on the Crescent on an annual basis, I always enjoy breakfast in Virginia. It's beautiful.

If you're leaving on a Thursday through Monday, there should be National Park Service Trails and Rails volunteer interpreters on board as far as Atlanta. Come back to the lounge car and talk to them and get some literature from their information table,

If you're leaving on a Thursday through Monday, there should be National Park Service Trails and Rails volunteer interpreters on board as far as Atlanta. Come back to the lounge car and talk to them and get some literature from their information table,
we will leave NOL on Wednesday!

One place you didn't mention among your New York sights to visit, is Grand Central Terminal....just a couple of blocks from the main NY Public Library....highly recommended!

That's too bad, because the volunteers really enhance the journey. (Full disclosure - I'm one of those volunteers)

That's too bad, because the volunteers really enhance the journey. (Full disclosure - I'm one of those volunteers)
I know that they enhance the trips. Been with them on many trips....shame we wont get to travel with them.....

We last rode the Crescent this February, and have done the round trip twice total. I'm sorry to say that outside of the beautiful Lake Pontchartrain, there's not a lot of scenery on the first day. You'll be passing through lots of wooded areas, then suddenly come on a small town (which I enjoy quite a bit). You'll get an extended stop in Atlanta, and I highly recommend taking advantage and stretching your legs. IIRC you'll have been on the train for 11.5 hours at that point, if it's on time. As others have stated, the scenery gets much more interesting after sunrise.

On both NOL->NYP trips, the train generally ran a little late on the first day, but made up time on the second day and we actually had early arrivals into NYP (by a couple minutes). For NYP->NOL, both times we were an hour and a half late. Dunno what's up with that, but it could be worse.

We've been to NYC a few times. The only thing about Coney Island is it's a long train ride away, so it's likely a whole day. There are plenty of other things to do in the city, but it's up to you of course. Don't miss Grand Central Terminal, and make sure to get at least one or two Broadway shows. Most have discounted tickets!

Boarding in Penn Station can be hectic. It's a ridiculously busy place, and it's far too small for the number of people it serves daily. Amtrak won't announce which track you're on until 10-20 minutes before boarding. Since you have a sleeper, you'll have access to the lounge. I'd highly recommend using a Redcap to board, and make sure you tip.

The food is your standard train fare, but I do enjoy breakfast. They sometimes have a special of two pancakes and eggs. There was never a full diner when we rode, and we only sat with someone else about half the time. I do like the dinner steak - they seem to do a good job cooking it on the Crescent.

Whereabouts in Manhattan are you staying?

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I ridden #20 from NOL( last time was in October on the short way to the Washington Gathering) Breakfast began before crossing the Causeway so we got to enjoy the "Sea Cruise" while eating a Very Good Breakfast with Excellent Service from the NYP Based Diner Crew!

Every time I ridden #20 from NOL( last time was in October on the short way to the Washington Gathering) Breakfast began before crossing the Causeway so we got to enjoy the "Sea Cruise" while eating a Very Good Breakfast with Excellent Service from the NYP Based Diner Crew!
That is what I am hoping for!

We last rode the Crescent this February, and have done the round trip twice total. I'm sorry to say that outside of the beautiful Lake Pontchartrain, there's not a lot of scenery on the first day. You'll be passing through lots of wooded areas, then suddenly come on a small town (which I enjoy quite a bit). You'll get an extended stop in Atlanta, and I highly recommend taking advantage and stretching your legs. IIRC you'll have been on the train for 11.5 hours at that point, if it's on time. As others have stated, the scenery gets much more interesting after sunrise.

On both NOL->NYP trips, the train generally ran a little late on the first day, but made up time on the second day and we actually had early arrivals into NYP (by a couple minutes). For NYP->NOL, both times we were an hour and a half late. Dunno what's up with that, but it could be worse.

We've been to NYC a few times. The only thing about Coney Island is it's a long train ride away, so it's likely a whole day. There are plenty of other things to do in the city, but it's up to you of course. Don't miss Grand Central Terminal, and make sure to get at least one or two Broadway shows. Most have discounted tickets!

Boarding in Penn Station can be hectic. It's a ridiculously busy place, and it's far too small for the number of people it serves daily. Amtrak won't announce which track you're on until 10-20 minutes before boarding. Since you have a sleeper, you'll have access to the lounge. I'd highly recommend using a Redcap to board, and make sure you tip.

The food is your standard train fare, but I do enjoy breakfast. They sometimes have a special of two pancakes and eggs. There was never a full diner when we rode, and we only sat with someone else about half the time. I do like the dinner steak - they seem to do a good job cooking it on the Crescent.

Whereabouts in Manhattan are you staying?
We are getting tix for Fiddler on the Roof!

Staying at:

Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South

52 West 36th Street

New York, New York, USA, 10015

Got any more pointers for us, considering where we are staying?

There is coffee(a little strong) but no soft drinks. I usually depart mid day on the City of New Orleans so I don't know if they have pastries in the AM but they did have a few chips type snacks. Magnolia Room is not in any way comparable to Metropolitan Lounges or Acela Lounges.

There is coffee(a little strong) but no soft drinks. I usually depart mid day on the City of New Orleans so I don't know if they have pastries in the AM but they did have a few chips type snacks. Magnolia Room is not in any way comparable to Metropolitan Lounges or Acela Lounges.
Thanks

We are getting tix for Fiddler on the Roof!

Staying at:

Hyatt Place New York/Midtown-South

52 West 36th Street

New York, New York, USA, 10015

Got any more pointers for us, considering where we are staying?
You're fairly close to Penn Station, so that's nice. Means you have access to a variety of subway lines to get around easily. Also right by the Empire State Building!

I could give you lots of recommendations for food depending on what you like, but I'd definitely say to try the Halal Guys food cart at 53rd and 6th. Take the Uptown B or D train at the 34th St/Herald Square station to the 7th Ave stop. Should be about a 10 minute ride. You'll emerge on 53rd and 7th, so just walk the long black back to 6th. They're set up at the intersections by the CBS building and the New York Hilton, so they're hard to miss. Delicious, and cheap to boot!

Only other general tip I can think of is avoid Times Square. I enjoyed walking through it once at night to see everything lit up, but beyond that it's really chaotic. There's so much more to see, and so many other interesting neighborhoods like Soho and the West Village.

Some of the best ethnic food you'll ever find is in Queens. Along the 7 train route, beyond Sunnyside, basically every stop has its own unique food. If you're really feeling adventurous, take the 7 to the end of the line in Flushing (but research this first).

We're going back in December, can't wait! Have fun!

Tony, there are no Magnolias in the Magnolia Room, but since the remodeling of the Restrooms and Lounge has been completed, it's a comfortable place to wait IF you get a seat. ( as was said, it's small).

The Main Lobby is shared with Greyhound (separate counters) and reminds one of an Airport Waiting Room.

There is a Subway ( with a Gambling Room, it's Louisiana! LOL) but since you're leaving early and having Breakfast on the Train, it's not applicable. You may want to get some of the, as was said, Strong Chickory Cofffee

Lot's of thanks to everyone! Great advice and help. :hi:

Great advice from Sproutis and me_little_me. Will be asking for more, if that is OK!

We will be in NOLA for three nights, and will be taking a walking tour with Bloody Mary one night. Any other NOLA ideas?

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Chateau Lemoyne. What will our best method to get from thee to Amtrak Station on departure morning?

When in New Orleans, I use the taxi. There will be taxi's out front of the train station. With tip, I never paid more than $25 to the Hilton Riverside and only $10 to the Hilton Garden Inn French Quarter actually located on the train station side of Canal close to Loyola Ave. I am not familiar with the Chateau Lamoye but there is also a Loyola Streetcar which begins at the station and goes Loyola Ave to Canal Street and then on to the Riverfront on Canal before turning around. Cost for 24 hours is $3 and you can ride all the buses and streetcars.

Be sure and ride the Free Ferry to Algiers, as was said get a Day Pass to rode the Street Cars and Buses.( the Riverfront Street Car is a short trip from the French Market to the Convention Center, but the other two lines to the Garden District and the Cemeteries( don't go at night) are musts!)

As for chow, tons of great spots from Mom and Pops to 5 Star Break the Bank joints. My favorite is Coops on Decatur Street by the French Market where locals go, recommended by Amtrak Crews.

Back