2 Private Railcar Trips from Chicago to Missouri: Sept & Oct 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtabern

Conductor
We are organizing two private railcar trips between Chicago/Naperville, intermediate stops, and La Plata, Missouri... thought everyone might be interested. Tickets are going to be open to the public, but very limited. The first excursion will be with a full-length dome car on the back of Amtrak's Southwest Chief --- we head out westbound on Friday, September 9th and head back east on Sunday, September 11th. The tour will include two nights at the railroad themed hotel in La Plata and an all-day van tour of NE Missouri. The second excursion is a one-way move that will take place on Saturday, October 1st. It will feature open-ended platform car "Montana"... and will also run on the back of the Southwest Chief.

http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/news/20160615/historic-railcars-to-be-part-of-special-train-trips-to-la-plata

Check it out! These should be really cool private car trips -- one with a full-length dome and the other with an open-ended platform car.

AND just so this doesn't get deleted by zealous moderators -- in full disclosure -- I am the Executive Director of the American Passenger Rail Heritage Foundaiton's Rail Rangers program. We are a 501©(3) non-profit group (as shown on our website at www.railrangers.org) who does the narration for these trips -- and also the route guidebooks. However, we are a non-profit and we make no money or have any financial gain from this posting.

I don't see any info regarding prices. Am I missing something?

Is it free? :-D

Pricing depends on where you get on and off the train.

It is $699 for the September 9-11, 2016 trip if you want to ride all the way from Chicago Union Station to La Plata, MO -- this includes over 600 miles on the private car, two nights at the Depot Inn and Suites, all-day guided van tour of NE Missouri, cookout dinner at the overlook point, narration both ways, all transfers to and from the hotel, etc. $699 might seems "steep" for a weekend trip until you break down the costs. I do this for people who call me about the trips and they see what a great deal it is!! Amtrak coach round-trip from Chicago to La Plata can be $250. Two nights at the hotel on a weekend is $208. You're already upto $458. Throw in a rental car and gas for the sites we are taking everyone on the tour on Saturday and you're up to around $520. Then, you are getting 2 breakfasts included, 1 lunch, and 2 dinners ... so you're well over $600 there if you did this on your own. Remember -- 1950's dome car too vs. Amtrak coach!

It is $320 for the one-way trip on October 1st with open-platform car Montana. Also a good deal... I have seen PV trips cost a lot more!

We have very limited tickets left. If you are interested, email me at [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back