Fast SWC Turnaround

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
Yesterday's #3 arrived Los Angeles over 10 hours late at 6:28 pm, apparently due to engine failure and then being hauled by a BNSF Unit. I see the eastbound #4 departed 2'20" late at 830 pm. I believe that equipment normally turns the same day. That is impressive, sending it back east only two hours later! All hands on deck.

They could have put together a substitute consist using protect cars and the consist of Sunset Limited which was hanging out in LAX having arrived on Monday and next scheduled departure on Wednesday. Such has been known to have been done in the past when the incoming Southwest Chief came in very late.

Yes, indeed, that may have been the case. But it was already known that 3 was extremely late, so I would think a consist could have been assembled earlier. With Amtrak, who knows what will go wrong!

Yes, indeed, that may have been the case. But it was already known that 3 was extremely late, so I would think a consist could have been assembled earlier. With Amtrak, who knows what will go wrong!
The consist may have been put together, but the OBS has to do their thing. I imagine stuff had to be transferred between the two trains, stock accounted, for, etc.

What stuff would have to be transferred between the two trains? Certainly not any linens or food. Even the outbound crew would be different than the inbound crew. I would not be surprised if NOTHING from the inbound train was transferred to the outbound train.

What stuff would have to be transferred between the two trains? Certainly not any linens or food. Even the outbound crew would be different than the inbound crew. I would not be surprised if NOTHING from the inbound train was transferred to the outbound train.
That is what I was thinking too. They should be able to run a scrounged together outbound even if the inbound is 15 hours late on a non-Sunset day. On a Sunset departure day all bets are off.

They could have put together a substitute consist using protect cars and the consist of Sunset Limited which was hanging out in LAX having arrived on Monday and next scheduled departure on Wednesday. Such has been known to have been done in the past when the incoming Southwest Chief came in very late.

That is what I was thinking too. They should be able to run a scrounged together outbound even if the inbound is 15 hours late on a non-Sunset day. On a Sunset departure day all bets are off.

Hmmm. The Sunset's equipment was hanging out, huh? So, we know that 3(28) arrived quite late, but did any one of you actually look and see what time 1(27) arrived in LAX, so the equipment could substitute for 4(30)?

Judging by the comments, I'm going to go ahead and take a stab and say "no, we did not look at see what time the sunset arrived in LAX to determine if the equipment was indeed in the position to help 4(30)." :blink:

And naturally, the two late arriving consists were completely devoid of shoppers after their almost 2 day trip in continuous service. :ph34r:

Of coooourse they were.

Of course not. After all we live to provide you opportunities to show off :p where would you be without our help? All in jest of course :D
Yes....I need you to help me show off my trolling, pouting and meme skills! ^_^

Who luvs ya, baby? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back