Southwest Chief Delays?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchick45

Train Attendant
Does anyone know why the Southwest Chief 3 was so delayed yesterday? Was it just weather? It left Chicago about a half hour late I think and by the time it reached Fort Madison it was almost 4 hours late. We're going next week out of Fort Madison. I hope it isn't delayed that much. Fort Madison is a small town...not much to do if we get stuck waiting on a delay like that. We live about an hour and a half from the station so it's not like we could just go home to wait.

Also do they compensate people for such delays?

No compensation for this type of delay typically, and yes it is weather related delays... Don't want to have a passenger train pulled off the tracks by a tornado!

Does anyone know why the Southwest Chief 3 was so delayed yesterday? Was it just weather? It left Chicago about a half hour late I think and by the time it reached Fort Madison it was almost 4 hours late. We're going next week out of Fort Madison. I hope it isn't delayed that much. Fort Madison is a small town...not much to do if we get stuck waiting on a delay like that. We live about an hour and a half from the station so it's not like we could just go home to wait.

Also do they compensate people for such delays?

It had a problem with a dh ca, which eventually needed to be set out. Compensation is at the discretion of Customer Relations which weighs factors including to but not limited to the length of delay, the conditions endured during the delay, what party is responsible for the delay and how much the passenger complains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. Thank you Ryan. Apparently, I'm too busy trolling to type information correctly.

No compensation for this type of delay typically, and yes it is weather related delays... Don't want to have a passenger train pulled off the tracks by a tornado!
Where was this tornado threat? I drove through western Illinois yesterday (5/28) to Ft. Madison to pick up my daughter coming in on the 3 hour late #4. The weather was fine.

She said they had to wait over 2 hours for a replacement engine between Newton and Topeka. I knew something was wrong when I saw 3 engines as it pulled into FMD.

Where was this tornado threat? I drove through western Illinois yesterday (5/28) to Ft. Madison to pick up my daughter coming in on the 3 hour late #4. The weather was fine.

She said they had to wait over 2 hours for a replacement engine between Newton and Topeka. I knew something was wrong when I saw 3 engines as it pulled into FMD.
I was simply making an educated guess based on the previous week, and I was clearly wrong about the cause. Sorry for the misinformation.

The weather delay was my best guess too the Midwest has been active these past few days and we did have some downpours in Iowa on Saturday. I figured maybe it move in on to Illinois and turned severe. The trains seem to be on time today so crossing my fingers for next weekend.

I saw on some post elsewhere that there was engine trouble. I see that it arrived Lis Angeles today over 10 hours late. How wonderful. If I had not anything else to do, I would have hopped on it for a daylight ride across Southern California. Pretty sorry performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back