Best Metra Line

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
I will stopping in Chicago for 2 days next month while traveling from St. Paul to Wilmington and should have a few hours to spare to ride on Metra. I am planning on attending college in the Chicago area soon so I would like to experience Metra, having already been on CTA multiple times. What lines would be recommended for a visitor as far as scenery, frequency, and any other factors that you can think of?

As a railfan, and a former resident of the area, I'm partial to the BNSF Racetrack. Triple track mainline, frequent movements of both commuter rail and freight. Amtrak interspersed in there as well. Lagrange is a good spot; places to eat lunch if you're spending the day there.

If you don't have a lot of time, perhaps combining a short ride on Metra out from downtown Chicago to Evanston, Jefferson Park, or Oak Park and riding CTA (Purple/Red, Blue, or Green Lines) back into the city would be your best bet.

With limited time you'll probably want to stick to something out of Union, you'll have plenty of time if you live hear to explore all the lines. The only train with "scenery" goes through a gorge, by our standards, but it's infrequent. If you want urban scenery the Electric to Pullman or Hyde Park and back could be fun, plus views of the lake and south side alongside freight and Illini, Saluki and Cono services.

Back