renting a car, Boston to ME

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmwtrip

I am traveling from Virginia to Portland ME, and figured I'd stop in Boston and rent a car to ME. Which Boston station has easy rental car options? Avoiding Boston traffic is always a plus. Thank you!

Why not ride the Downeaster to Portland from North Station, then pick up your rental when you reach Portland?

Lots more pleasant than driving in the crazy NE Traffic around Beantown!

Why not ride the Downeaster to Portland from North Station, then pick up your rental when you reach Portland?

I second that motion! My sister lives in the Boston area, and I've taken the train to and around Boston many times. Have not seen car rentals near the Back Bay station when walking/biking that area. There may possibly be a car rental near South Station, but the traffic downtown is absolutely nuts! Unless you already know your way around, it seems crazy to try to deal with it.

The only drawback to taking the Downeaster is that you have to jump on the "T" (Boston subway) and ride up to North Station. If you have to take the T to the airport anyway to pick up the car, why not just go to North Station and get on another train?

When renting after arriving South Station, the hours the city locations are open is very limited, so I always had to go to Logan to rent a car. If you are not doing anything in Boston, I second the suggestion of going by train to Portland. I have made the drive from the Boston area to Portland or Bangor many times, train is much more relaxing and there are no tolls to be paid, gas to buy near Boston when turning the car back in, so what you save helps offset the train cost.

So South Station is in the downtown area? I see "self transfer" between N and S Stations, and am not sure how involved that is either. Will have kids w me.

No, the self-transfer actually involves taking the Orange Line between Boston Back Bay station over to North Station. At Back Bay, the two lines are adjacent to each other, so the transfer is easy.

Or you can go to South Station and cab it over to North Station.

I also agree with taking the Downeaster to Portland, ME. The easiest method with small kids would be a taxi from South Station to North Station for $10-15. Tickets to Back Bay Station are the same price as to BOS. There is no need to reticket. Just stay on the train for 10 more minutes. The BOS taxi stand is down a few steps from Track One. If you need a rental car at Portland, ME, there are rental desks in the station .

I also agree with taking the Downeaster to Portland, ME. The easiest method with small kids would be a taxi from South Station to North Station for $10-15. Tickets to Back Bay Station are the same price as to BOS. There is no need to reticket. Just stay on the train for 10 more minutes. The BOS taxi stand is down a few steps from Track One. If you need a rental car at Portland, ME, there are rental desks in the station .
I am planning to do the taxi transfer in August from the NER to the Downeaster. Thanks for the info on where the cab stand is. I've never been there before.

I am planning to do the taxi transfer in August from the NER to the Downeaster. Thanks for the info on where the cab stand is. I've never been there before.
And one does not even have to go into the station to get to the taxis. Just head over towards track one and exit onto Atlantic Avenue. You'll fall into the taxi rank along Atlantic.

And one does not even have to go into the station to get to the taxis. Just head over towards track one and exit onto Atlantic Avenue. You'll fall into the taxi rank along Atlantic.
Perfect! It's going to make things much easier knowing this ahead of time! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

I second that motion! My sister lives in the Boston area, and I've taken the train to and around Boston many times. Have not seen car rentals near the Back Bay station when walking/biking that area. There may possibly be a car rental near South Station, but the traffic downtown is absolutely nuts! Unless you already know your way around, it seems crazy to try to deal with it.

The only drawback to taking the Downeaster is that you have to jump on the "T" (Boston subway) and ride up to North Station. If you have to take the T to the airport anyway to pick up the car, why not just go to North Station and get on another train?
I third that, think a riot of traffic, my taxi was nearly crashed into atleast twice, do the decent thing, take the subway to north station, and get on another relaxing ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back