Business Class car location on 19/20 (Crescent)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak began offering Business Class on #19/20 on April 1. At first is was just a regular Amfleet coach cut in between the lounge car and the diner. I have seen a couple of pics on Facebook and a video on YouTube lately that make it look like they've moved the car to the front between the bag and the sleepers. I have not made it down to the station to see the actual trainset, although I will be travelling on the route next week. Any insights?

I rode monday in the crescent business class. It was next to the baggage car and was very quite ride as it was not crowded at all, next came two sleepers, then the dining car.

Perhaps a mod can change the title to reflect the train number in the title since there are numerous trains with business class.

MrEd, so did the Lounge Car LSA have to come all the way through the diner and sleepers to serve you the complimentary beverages?
the crescent beverage service is a step down from the Carolinian, which I took on the way back. During my time on the crescent, nobody provided beverages or mentioned how its supposed to wok. So I just went to the sleeper and did self service juice and coffee. The main advantage is I had 5 rows to myself and I was next to the baggage car. I was using the walk up bike service on this train for the first time. That worked out great.

MrEd, so did the Lounge Car LSA have to come all the way through the diner and sleepers to serve you the complimentary beverages?
the crescent beverage service is a step down from the Carolinian, which I took on the way back. During my time on the crescent, nobody provided beverages or mentioned how its supposed to wok. So I just went to the sleeper and did self service juice and coffee. The main advantage is I had 5 rows to myself and I was next to the baggage car. I was using the walk up bike service on this train for the first time. That worked out great.
And of course there are no sleepers on the Carolinian. Where was the Business Class car on that train?

And of course there are no sleepers on the Carolinian. Where was the Business Class car on that train?
they recently moved the baggage to the end of the carolinian, right in front of that is the business class car, then cafe, then the coaches. Yesterday on train 79, business was 100% full but service was still good.

Perhaps a mod can change the title to reflect the train number in the title since there are numerous trains with business class.
Good idea, but the topic can't be changed after the thread is started (at least not that I can figure out). You'll just have to read the first post.
Per your request, I've changed the thread title for you. (FYI - If needed in the future, you may PM any staff member with your request and we will be happy to do so.)

Good idea, but the topic can't be changed after the thread is started (at least not that I can figure out). You'll just have to read the first post.
Per your request, I've changed the thread title for you. (FYI - If needed in the future, you may PM any staff member with your request and we will be happy to do so.)
Thanks for the help and the info !

I'm assuming it's handled like typical business class, head down to the Cafe (with your ticket) to get your beverages.

I'm assuming it's handled like typical business class, head down to the Cafe (with your ticket) to get your beverages.
Triley, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what Amtrak tells the attendant about offering complimentary service in Business Class . I have never been informed on the train that I could have a complementary drink when in Business class.

Triley, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what Amtrak tells the attendant about offering complimentary service in Business Class . I have never been informed on the train that I could have a complementary drink when in Business class.
I'm an LSA, so I can only speak to things on the Cafe side of it, really. The conductor/assistant conductor is suppose to make a local announcement in the Business Class car to the effect of your comp beverages, and since I'm never outside of the Cafe, I can't comment on if it's done in practice or not. As far as when you come to the Cafe, I have people get upset when I tell them it's $2 for a coffee. I'll frequently get, "Well doesn't Business Class get drinks for free?!" Well yes, but I have up to nine coaches on a train on the NEC that I'm worrying about, I have no way of knowing by sight that someone is Business Class or not. (Of course this was different on trains like 67/66 when we had the split Cafe.)

As far as what you are entitled to, as I say, "None of the good stuff." So no alcoholic or premium beverages. You are entitled to water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, and soda. I will also do milk if you ask, and even though you're not entitled to Perrier, I am more than willing to do club soda as long as I have an ample supply. So if you come up to me at Back Bay on 67 (where for the whole round trip we only get 2 club soda) and you ask for one, I won't be able to oblige, because it is really meant to be used as a mixer for liquor.

Seeing as you're from Mass as well, and I'm not sure if you're talking about the stepchild of Boston services, the Downeaster...I have no idea how they handle Business Class, as the Cafe car is contracted out on that service. I have only taken it from North Station to Woburn twice (don't anyone try to do this! Tickets are not sold between those city pairs, I was only able to ride by showing my employee ID), and only once did I even enter the Cafe car, to actually talk to the attendant. It was winter of like January 2015 and we sat in North Station for almost an hour before being cleared to depart, due to signal/switch issues. She never went in to the Business Class section while I was onboard, so I would be inclined to imagine you have to go to the counter to get your beverage? I'm sure someone has more experience than me with this.

Edit: Removed the quote tree from my post.

Edit 2: Added bit about Downeaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an LSA, so I can only speak to things on the Cafe side of it, really. The conductor/assistant conductor is suppose to make a local announcement in the Business Class car to the effect of your comp beverages, and since I'm never outside of the Cafe, I can't comment on if it's done in practice or not. As far as when you come to the Cafe, I have people get upset when I tell them it's $2 for a coffee. I'll frequently get, "Well doesn't Business Class get drinks for free?!" Well yes, but I have up to nine coaches on a train on the NEC that I'm worrying about, I have no way of knowing by sight that someone is Business Class or not. (Of course this was different on trains like 67/66 when we had the split Cafe.)
Triley,

You raise an interesting point. Past practice involved crew members advising the LSA to show their business class ticket receipt to receive their beverages. I suppose this practice is limited with e-ticketing. I'm interested in what kind of documentation you look for.

If any conductors would chime in, it would also be helpful.

Triley, thank you for your explanatory reply. I have never heard a conductor offer BC complimentary beverages over the public address system.

Triley,

You raise an interesting point. Past practice involved crew members advising the LSA to show their business class ticket receipt to receive their beverages. I suppose this practice is limited with e-ticketing. I'm interested in what kind of documentation you look for.

If any conductors would chime in, it would also be helpful.
I get shown anything and everything. I have had every form of ticket presented to me for Business Class, except for tickets sold onboard. The majority of the people show the PDF file on their phone via email, some show show the ticket on the app, where it says X amount of [Coach/Business] Class seats on the bottom right, I'll get a few of the etickets printed out via printer. Don't really get many on ticket stock, though occasionally I do. Last week I believe I had a paper ticket [stub] presented. And I've even seen tickets printed out like the old fashion airline tickets, that have been purchased/printed overseas by travel agents. (The ones that look like this: http://www.travelweekly.com/uploadedImages/All_TW_News/Agent_Issues/410x232_photos/2014/PAPERTIX2.jpg )

The only times I have had the LSA in Business Class offer Comp Refreshments ( and Newspapers, remember them?!!) was when the Biz Class Car was in a Combo Cafe/Biz Class Car with the nice 2X1 Seating.

The Trains were the Wolverine,the Maple Leaf ,the Missouri River Runner, #66/#67 and the State Run Downeaster and the Surfliners In California!

Every other Train in Biz Class you either had to ask and got maybe a Coffee or Juice, or Nada if the LSA was "Out".

What I want to know is how did the person last week manage a paper ticket. I miss those. Off topic though. I've only had issues on the palmetto business class because apparently I drink too much

Brick and mortar travel agents and the quick-trak machines are the only places I still see card stock for tickets. I think if you reserve over the phone, and don't have a computer to get the e-mail or a device for the scannable code, they will still mail a ticket. Connecting buses usually require a paper ticket.

Just finishing up a trip DHM-CVS and back with multiple segments in business class we were offered the following:

Downeaster 680: At seat drink service (add your own cream and sugar) and a crisp copy of the Portland Press Herald

Acela: nada (obviously)

Crescent 20: We were in a roomette but biz class was as others said in front of the sleepers and right after baggage and had less than 10 people. It makes for a nice place to use the bathroom.

NER 88: No local drink announcement when boarding at NYP. LSA said no to Perrier and didn't offer his club soda but had no problem getting ginger ale.

Downeaster 697: At seat drink service with cream and sugar added, which is a small but nice touch.

I am currently in business class on train 20. Business class has 22 people in it leaving New Orleans. Coach is sold out.

Of the 22 about half are huddled around the conductor disappointed and complaining about the amenities.

Most are upset about the car being the exact same as coach, even says coach class on the side as you get on. Some have tried to access the digital newspapers but there is no access code in the seat backs as advertised. No on board staff knows either.

So this trip business class got folks complementary beverages and that is it. And out of the 22, most are disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back