#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,869 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Right. What window is needed would depend heavily on availability of passing tracks at the right places and such. Hard to make a blanket statement like that.

#22 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

So it's not track maintenance costs that makes Norfolk Southern oppose having another two or three trains Harrisburg-Pittsburgh. It's their fear of having their schedules fouled up for 8 or 12 hours out of a day.

Just today I read in Trains magazine that, with the exception of intermodals, freights are not scheduled. 

#23 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:41 PM

And that's a poorly run railroad.

However most Railroads do have some sort of timetable. Only they don't tell anyone about it.

Holding a train in yard for tonnage, is a train that never moves.

Balancing the flow of cargo, engines, and crews is a never ending headache. The flow of freight is never equal, power is never were you need it, and the crews like to get home.

Edited by Just-Thinking-51, 20 May 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#24 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

And that's a poorly run railroad.

However most Railroads do have some sort of timetable. Only they don't tell anyone about it.

Holding a train in yard for tonnage, is a train that never moves.

Balancing the flow of cargo, engines, and crews is a never ending headache. The flow of freight is never equal, power is never were you need it, and the crews like to get home.

I remember seeing somewhere that BNSF has a weekly schedule, though the schedule is never the same from one week to the next.

#25 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

So it's not track maintenance costs that makes Norfolk Southern oppose having another two or three trains Harrisburg-Pittsburgh. It's their fear of having their schedules fouled up for 8 or 12 hours out of a day.

Just today I read in Trains magazine that, with the exception of intermodals, freights are not scheduled.

Yes -- this sort of total, unmitigated incompetence has become common in the US railroad "industry". CN did schedule all its trains a few years back. BNSF does have schedules at least on some lines -- we know this from its modeling on certain subdivisions which has become public.

The complete incompetence of the rail industry in the US is grounds enough for nationalization, honestly. They were so bad at the start of World War I that they had to be nationalized just to get the job done for the war effort. Unfortunately an idiotic Congress returned them to the former owners, who proceeded to (mostly) mismanage them in progressively worse ways for the next 100 years.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#26 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'd like to see much more Govt. help for LD infrastructure improvements that would benefit passenger rail.

Edited by Rover, 07 March 2017 - 01:33 AM.

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder ~ The Coast Starlight ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

Books: Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users