#21 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,625 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

Right. What window is needed would depend heavily on availability of passing tracks at the right places and such. Hard to make a blanket statement like that.

#22 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

So it's not track maintenance costs that makes Norfolk Southern oppose having another two or three trains Harrisburg-Pittsburgh. It's their fear of having their schedules fouled up for 8 or 12 hours out of a day.

Just today I read in Trains magazine that, with the exception of intermodals, freights are not scheduled. 

#23 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:41 PM

And that's a poorly run railroad.

However most Railroads do have some sort of timetable. Only they don't tell anyone about it.

Holding a train in yard for tonnage, is a train that never moves.

Balancing the flow of cargo, engines, and crews is a never ending headache. The flow of freight is never equal, power is never were you need it, and the crews like to get home.

Edited by Just-Thinking-51, 20 May 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#24 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

And that's a poorly run railroad.

However most Railroads do have some sort of timetable. Only they don't tell anyone about it.

Holding a train in yard for tonnage, is a train that never moves.

Balancing the flow of cargo, engines, and crews is a never ending headache. The flow of freight is never equal, power is never were you need it, and the crews like to get home.

I remember seeing somewhere that BNSF has a weekly schedule, though the schedule is never the same from one week to the next.

#25 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:10 PM

So it's not track maintenance costs that makes Norfolk Southern oppose having another two or three trains Harrisburg-Pittsburgh. It's their fear of having their schedules fouled up for 8 or 12 hours out of a day.

Just today I read in Trains magazine that, with the exception of intermodals, freights are not scheduled.

Yes -- this sort of total, unmitigated incompetence has become common in the US railroad "industry". CN did schedule all its trains a few years back. BNSF does have schedules at least on some lines -- we know this from its modeling on certain subdivisions which has become public.

The complete incompetence of the rail industry in the US is grounds enough for nationalization, honestly. They were so bad at the start of World War I that they had to be nationalized just to get the job done for the war effort. Unfortunately an idiotic Congress returned them to the former owners, who proceeded to (mostly) mismanage them in progressively worse ways for the next 100 years.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#26 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'd like to see much more Govt. help for LD infrastructure improvements that would benefit passenger rail.

Edited by Rover, 07 March 2017 - 01:33 AM.

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

Books: Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition 

#27 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

With all of the speculation about LD passenger rail and where it is headed, the 2017 congressional budget should be in place shortly.

#28 ainamkartma

ainamkartma

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

With all of the speculation about LD passenger rail and where it is headed, the 2017 congressional budget should be in place shortly.

My understanding is that there will be a continuing resolution through at least the end of the fiscal year, but of course that is just conjecture coming through the rumor mill.  My Kevin Bacon number to Paul Ryan is like two, though, so take it for what it is worth.  If I am right, there will be no budget this year.

We shall see, I guess.

Ainamkartma

#29 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

My understanding is that there will be a continuing resolution through at least the end of the fiscal year, but of course that is just conjecture coming through the rumor mill.  My Kevin Bacon number to Paul Ryan is like two, though, so take it for what it is worth.  If I am right, there will be no budget this year.

We shall see, I guess.

Ainamkartma

Having a FY2018 budget in place by October would be a pleasant surprise, let alone any sooner.....  

#30 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,858 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

Continuing rez from the Do Nothing Congress. Book it Danno!.😣
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#31 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,066 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

Even if there were no other trains on the West Coast but the Coast Starlight, they could rotate its consist at either end with the Southwest Chief or the Empire Builder to get to Chicago for major maintenance.

In the earlier years of Amtrak, where Amtrak had no major operation, or mechanical forces available, they contracted with the host freight railroads to provide same...places like Denver, for example...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#32 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

But definitely, the more service you have from a given location or maintenance base, the lower the cost per unit.

This.  This right here.  When they ran the maintenance bases for only a few trains a day, they looked really expensive!  Now, for lots of trains per day, they don't!

Edited by neroden, 16 April 2017 - 03:59 PM.

--Nathanael--

#33 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

My understanding is that there will be a continuing resolution through at least the end of the fiscal year, but of course that is just conjecture coming through the rumor mill.  My Kevin Bacon number to Paul Ryan is like two, though, so take it for what it is worth.

A CR for the fiscal year is actually a pretty good outcome for Amtrak.

This year -- June -- Amtrak makes the last payment on the Penn Station mortgage. There have been some headwinds due to bad press and low gas prices, but ridership and revenue are still holding pretty close to flat. Who knows, they might even go up. Amtrak should be seeing some benefits on the cost side from retiring the HHP-8s and AEM-7s and most of the Heritage baggage cars. If they can get the same federal funding as last year, it should be a good year financially.
--Nathanael--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users