Current state of Lincoln Service B/C

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Using points in June, we are going in a room on the Cardinal from Prince, WV to Chicago. We'll be going on to Springfield paying $$ (2 seniors - have a companion coupon).

I am looking at 305 where B/C is only $34 for senior (plus companion coupon plus upgrade for companion) with a 7 hour layover in Chicago (giving us time to see some sites).

I am also looking at B/C for return on 302 at $42 for senior (plus companion coupon plus upgrade for companion) with 5 hours in Chicago to have a good lunch and ???

Question: Is it worth the upgrade to B/C based on current Amtrak passenger treatment and car conditions?

Nice trip! Please Google up the many threads here on AU about what to see,do and where to eat during a layover in Chicago. There is lots of great info!

In all honesty, riding between Chicago and Springfield in Coach on the Lincoln Trains ( 0r even on # 321 the Texas Eagle) is fine on such a short day trip.

I don't see the need to pay for an upgrade to Biz Class, but if it's worth it to you, go for it!

I typically ride BC on Midwest corridor trains out of Chicago - but you will already have access to the Metropolitan Lounge (because of sleeper tickets for the Cardinal) and and pre-boarding (as seniors) - so your additional perks would be limited to those you receive on the Lincoln Service trains themselves. To me, the nicer and larger seats and one free drink would not be worth it.

Thanks for both replies. We have been to Chicago from Prince on the Cardinal and through Chicago from many places many times. I was just wondering about the Lincoln Service B/C perks. We took Wolverine B/C (as part of AGR 1.0 Bedroom trip) and it was worthless. We took Carolinian B/C and we liked it very much. Attentive car attendant, multiple soft drinks and coffee, cleaner rest rooms and nicer seating in a quieter environment. Sounds like the Lincoln trains are more like the Wolverine only not even 3 across seating.

We'll probably try and make reservations tomorrow to catch the decent points price on the Cardinal.

Lincoln BC is essentially the same as Wolverine BC, including 3 across (2 and 1) seating.

If you didn't think Wolverine BC was worthwhile, I'd guess you'll think the same about Lincoln BC.

This past year I have been on the Lincoln Service trains once in September and twice in January from Bloomington/Normal to and from Chicago.

On #302 I was in coach and they put the Chicago bound passengers in one car and those with stops along the way in the other cars. The coach car was terrific. Clean, newer, not crowded. It was a nice trip.

#305 in Business Class from Chicago was another story. Crowded, old, uncomfortable. On the trip I took on #305 in September, the air conditioning was broken in that it was always on full blast. They had to turn it off manually to warm up a couple of times. The result was that I ended up with vertigo and a sinus infection and two trips to a doctor. In January on #305, the car was warm enough, even though there was a blast of cold air coming from a front door that apparently had an air leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back