Student discount

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
I have nothing against students. I have two kids 17 and 24 that would qualify for the discount. As I understand it, students 17-25 can qualify. I find it odd that kids 13-16, who are presumably in school and students too, don't get the same discount. It wasn't too awful long ago that they got tickets at half price but I see that is not the case anymore.

Amtrak isn't the only place that counts kids as adults when it comes to pricing. It seems odd to me that they get a price break when they are more apt to be able to work while kids that are a bit younger and can't work don't get the same price break.

I have nothing against students. I have two kids 17 and 24 that would qualify for the discount. As I understand it, students 17-25 can qualify. I find it odd that kids 13-16, who are presumably in school and students too, don't get the same discount. It wasn't too awful long ago that they got tickets at half price but I see that is not the case anymore.

Amtrak isn't the only place that counts kids as adults when it comes to pricing. It seems odd to me that they get a price break when they are more apt to be able to work while kids that are a bit younger and can't work don't get the same price break.
I think the purpose of the student discount is for college students. If you have a AAA membership, you can get 10% off on all Amtrak travel.

I think the purpose of the student discount is for college students. If you have a AAA membership, you can get 10% off on all Amtrak travel.
I agree. I think it's aimed at kids who will be traveling between home and campus.

I addressed your exact same comment in a previous thread about this.

Kids in college don't always have their parents' income to rely on to travel back and forth, unlike teenagers in junior high and college who are either traveling with their parents or are going to grandma's house on their parents' dime.

Also, even though kids in college may have a job, that doesn't mean they'll have enough money to travel back and forth between school and home. I worked while I was in school, and it was just barely enough to cover my rent, groceries, and utilities, even with a roommate. My parents sent me gas money on occasion so I could make it home for the holidays.

Back in pre-Amtrak days, i was able to travel alone on the B&O for the kids under 12 half-price fare because I LOOKED under 12. Ticket agents never questioned my age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back