67 replies to this topic

#61 ScouseAndy

ScouseAndy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

Both these figures are very respectful London - Glasgow is 357 miles by train via the west coast main line - an express service averages about 79mph (4 1/2 hrs roughly) but many services average 65mph (5 1/2 hours).

While not true high speed the WCML is one of the most modern lines in the U.K. having had almost $2 Billion invested in modernisation in recent years. The HS2 line (which will run half way only is budgeted £56 billion sterling) and will only shave 20 minutes off the entire journey (if it ever is finished) and is no way value for money!

Sorry to ramble on but in short it's not far off comparable routes in Europe with far less investment and as the UK proves shaving minutes off a journey costs billions and takes light years.

#62 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

(77 mph is the average speed of an Acela between NYP and WAS)

I figured closer to 68 MPH. 457 miles in 6h45m...

Interestingly with the jetstream moving from West to East, yes, the groundspeeds can vary by a couple hundred mph depending on direction.

The 68 MPH number is WAS-BOS, 77 MPH is WAS-NYP. The northern NEC is curvier and therefore slower. The trains also sometimes stop in NYP for awhile, which further reduces the average speed.

Yes - you are right. Your NYP was misread into my brain as BOS.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#63 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Today, on the Newsy channel (on Roku) they ran a 3 minute piece on "Why not High Speed Rail in America?" and compared travel times from several city pairs to what it would take as compared to travel times on existing high speed rail in China, Japan, & Europe.

Their video said that the reasons high speed rail would not take off here, like it has in other countries, was due to infrastructure and right of way costs, and, that Americans love their cars too much.

https://www.forbes.c...a/#5d0fec9ac080

http://www.cnn.com/2...rica/index.html

Edited by Rover, 27 July 2017 - 12:56 PM.

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

Books: Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition 

#64 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

Their video said that the reasons high speed rail would not take off here, like it has in other countries, was due to infrastructure and right of way costs, and, that Americans love their cars too much.

That doesn't explain why people fly between many somewhat-close (i.e. drivable) city pairs.

19 non-stop flights per day from Atlanta to Charlotte as an example (Delta and American). A four hour drive.

#65 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:04 AM

That doesn't explain why people fly between many somewhat-close (i.e. drivable) city pairs.

19 non-stop flights per day from Atlanta to Charlotte as an example (Delta and American). A four hour drive.

Driving in traffic sucks. The 3 1/2 - 4hr drive from Dallas to Austin is Hell. I'm just not a highway road warrior.

Edited by Rover, 28 July 2017 - 06:47 PM.

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

#66 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,844 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

So True Rover!

I-35 is a Nightmare in Texas, especially from San Antonio to Dallas, so taking the Eagle is an excellent alternative.

#22 AUS-DAL = 5 Hours* /#21 DAL-AUS= 6Hours* ( *the Layover in FTW is around an Hour/ you can ride TRE between FTW and DAL to shorten the Layover)

Leave the Driving to Amtrak!!😎
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#67 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

So True Rover!

I-35 is a Nightmare in Texas, especially from San Antonio to Dallas, so taking the Eagle is an excellent alternative.

#22 AUS-DAL = 5 Hours* /#21 DAL-AUS= 6Hours* ( *the Layover in FTW is around an Hour/ you can ride TRE between FTW and DAL to shorten the Layover)

Leave the Driving to Amtrak!!

And that time will be shortened whenever the Texas high speed rail lines are built. Maybe after Texas secedes from the Union... :)

I've ridden Amtrak on:

#68 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

That's because of the spoke-and-hub model of most airlines, not because there's a huge demand of flights between those two towns organically. Charlotte is a large hub for American, and Atlanta is a large hub for Delta. An Atlanta customer wanting to go to places on American likely will have to go through Charlotte first, and a Charlotte customer on Delta likely has to go through Atlanta. When you're going to have to go through airport security anyways, it doesn't make sense to drive four hours (and paying parking instead of potentially taking a taxi/bus/train to the airport) when the alternative is an hour or so flight and an hour or so layover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users