Roomette and H-Room - Price Difference?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ehbowen

Engineer
For our sleeper trip from New Orleans to Portland this September, we have confirmed reservations in two upper level roomettes at low bucket. Very recently my father (who will be 84 at the time of travel) has developed mobility problems, pain in his knee, and has been having to use a cane to get around. I called Amtrak to see about the possibility of switching into the H-room, and the agent told me that one was available (at least between New Orleans and Chicago)...but that it would be an additional $200 (approximately) as rooms were no longer available at low bucket.

I have held off on making the switch so far, but I wanted to ask if any of our regulars were more familiar with the rules. My understanding is that if you have a legitimate mobility impairment the H-room should be priced as a roomette, but I'm not certain on the policy for making a switch. Should I try again and ask for a supervisor, or is the agent I spoke with correct as to the price increase? I'm willing to pay it if necessary, but not if I don't absolutely have to.

I would give calling again and asking for a supervisor, if necessary, a try. Explain that basically you're switching from one roomette to another due to the mobility issue.

Any reason not to just switch to a lower level roomette?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back