Starbucks Express opens in Chicago's Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reppin_the_847

Service Attendant
Great news for Amtrak & Metra riders that utilize Chicago's Union Station (at least for the coffee addicts among us). Starbucks Express recently opened in Chicago's Union Station. The only other similar locations are in NYC (3 locations) & Toronto (1 location). Their hours are very generous too, and will operate from 5 AM to 9 PM Monday through Friday & 6 AM to 8:30 PM on Saturday / Sunday.

Check out these related articles:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-starbucks-express-union-station-0421-biz-20160420-story.html

http://chicago.eater.com/2016/4/21/11477872/starbucks-express-concept-chicago-open-union-station

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/starbucks-opens-fifth-starbucks-express-in-chicagos-union-station-2016-04-21

This seems to be a good concept, given that commuters are in a hurry. However, it'll be interesting to see the volume of business they do in the morning rush. I'd bet that most commuters would be their coffee prior to boarding. I know a coffee shop in Beverly, for example, that's open before the first morning departure for LaSalle St. and closes right after the last inbound rush hour train.

Does Starbucks burn the hell out of their conventional coffee or is it just me? The only time it doesn't taste burned to me is after they've made it into some sort of silly caffeinated milkshake.

I don't know if this applies to the "express locations" but at the regular stores they usually have a few different blends offered, usually one of the daily or weekly special offerings is more to my liking than the "regular" offering. Pike Place blend tastes better to my palate. You are certainly not alone.

And the station lost Burrito Beach in the process. You can get better coffee at the McDonald's at the other end of the food court.

Good news for the "Brand" junkies, but there are many Better and Cheaper Coffee shops everywhere!

I've never been a "Bigbucks" fan, but like MickeyDs ( which has Better and Cheaper Coffee) and Wallyworld, they're Everywhere! They're Everywhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
LAUS has a full Starbucks and with the mobile order app, its just as fast as any express. I send the order as were coming into the station and its ready when by the time I walk to the store in the station.

Never been a coffee drinker, don't even care for the smell of it.

Just wanted to mention that I noticed the only Interstate rest stop in my state (I-95 in DE) has a free-standing Starbucks. I assume it has a drive-thru window. Not a bad idea.

A few years back, McDonalds made a big push to improved coffee blends to help its breakfast business, and at least in my book, they did a pretty good job. They used to have lousy cofee, now it is pretty good, especially at its price point.

The coffee at Starbucks has always tasted too bitter to me, as well. Not dark roasted or strong brewed, just bitter. That being said, now that I live in a tiny town, I enjoy Starbucks when it's the only option. I just have to get a latte or something, not black coffee like I usually enjoy.

It would be very great of CUS to rent the space to one of the independent coffee shops in the city, but I have a feeling the rent is probably prohibitive.

Devil's Advocate, I agree about the bitter/burnt taste of most Starbucks coffees. Starbucks over-roast their French roast coffees to give them a longer shelf life, but it makes them really unpleasant to drink black. Flip side of the coin, if you spend $12 on a bag of Starbucks beans you would probably prefer they not go stale before you grind the last of the beans.

Pike Place is supposed to be a medium roast but it is still burnt. The Veranda "blonde" roast is actually fairly decent, even if you drink it black with no creamer.

Peek's is better coffee, as is McDonalds, as noted by everyone above. McD's coffee is not great but it is tasty and cheap.

Does Starbucks burn the hell out of their conventional coffee or is it just me? The only time it doesn't taste burned to me is after they've made it into some sort of silly caffeinated milkshake.

Good news for the "Brand" junkies, but there are many Better and Cheaper Coffee shops everywhere!

I've never been a "Bigbucks" fan, but like MickeyDs ( which has Better and Cheaper Coffee) and Wallyworld, they're Everywhere! They're Everywhere!
Just from prior experience commuting to Chicago, I can assure you that there are more than enough Starbucks brand junkies & folks with way more $ than they know what to do with commuting to the city. This tiny 650 sq. ft. Express concept is going to generate more than enough revenue to pay its steep Union Station rent & generate a profit.

You must have commuted from the Northside :rolleyes: I'm a former Southsider myself, and I don't think the clientele at La Salle St. station is on quite the same level as some over at CUS.

My brother-in-law owns a coffee roaster & shop on Whidbey Island (north of Seattle), and he says that Starbucks scorches its coffee just a little, on purpose, in order to make a uniform product with "their" flavor profile. I don't care for it, but it's OK in a latte if it's the only option when I want one. The BIL should know, as he went to chef's school and makes the best coffee I ever tasted.

You can get better coffee at the McDonald's at the other end of the food court.
&
I've never been a "Bigbucks" fan, but like MickeyDs ( which has Better and Cheaper Coffee)
I'd honestly have to agree. McDonald's coffee isn't gourmet but it tastes fine, is almost always freshly brewed, and wont make your stomach wretch.
The only time I've ever been to Starbucks we had to stop again several miles later at a McDonald's - to throw out the hideous Starbucks stuff and get a decent cup of coffee.

Overroasted + Overpriced = Starbucks. And to make matters worse they keep buying out little local chains and ruining them. Prediction; they'll make money hand over fist at Chicago Union Station.

I really like Starbuck's coffee - and it is NOT expensive. A tall regular coffee with just a touch of cream (what I get) is less than $2. It is only their fancy sugar-filled concoctions with whipped cream on top that are indeed pricy.

You can find slightly better coffee if you search around for the specialized local roasters, but they will not be cheaper. Its true that the 50 cent "Senior" coffee at McDonalds is a good bargain, but the coffee itself always seems weak and unsatisfying. Among national chains, Starbucks is the most consistently good, widely available coffee - in my opinion. I really enjoy the two cups of strong dark roast Peet's I brew fresh every morning at home, but when traveling Starbucks is my go-to choice.

I don't understand why Amtrak don't turn their café bars over to Starbucks or the like and charge them rent on the trains and in return they get to keep the profits (if there is any)

Starbucks would set up an arrangement like in the airports where the operations are run by the airport restaurant concession contractor with a guaranteed minimum revenue to Starbucks. I don't see that happening with Amtrak, sales revenue per train per day being just too low to justify. Besides the Washington Anti-Amtrak group would blow a gasket if Amtrak started offering something of quality.

I must not have tried McDonalds coffee since they made it better, because the only memory of it I have is "yuck!".

After starting my new job last summer, my boss turned me on to grinding my own beans and making a pot via pour over. It's a heck of a lot of work, but it makes a fine cup of joe. Him and I go through two or 3 pots a day, depending on how busy we are.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1462060813.794226.jpg

I don't have time to wait in the massive lines at Starbucks at WAS on the way through. If this came to town, I may be inclined to stop from time to time.

Agreed. I've heard folks call it Charbucks.

My daughter loves Starbucks and took me once. I asked for regular coffee. They said they didn't have any. I got an iced tea and have never been back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back