Hello, From an Amtrak Applicant

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello fellow Train Enthusiasts,

My Name is Matthew, and I am currently a student in ELAC (East Los Angeles College). A little about myself, I was born & grew up in the North East Part of Los Angeles. I often love to hike, travel, workout in the gym, and overall meet new people.

Aside from being a Student I applied for Amtrak a couple months back and was able to pass the screening and the assessment portion. Unfourtunely, for the "Battery testing" (meeting in person) I didnt... BUT I was told I will be re-eligible to retake the test in 3months(approaching soon)

I joined this forum in the hopes into finding more information on being an Amtrak Conductor and more importantly whether it will be possible to pursue my other goal into enlisting in the USMC as a reservist. What I mean if I could enlist in the USMC(Reservists) and be Amtrak conductor the same time?

Thank You,

-Matthew

Amtrak does work around people's military reserve schedules to accommodate the needed time off. I wouldn't necessarily advertise the fact you are a member before you are hired though...

Matt, Welcome. :hi:

I am a Freight Conductor at NS on furlough. I am looking to switch to Amtrak. Some of the guys I worked with were Vets and said that they wish they got hired on the railroad and then enlisted.. Once you're hired and enlist you keep your RR seniority and it just grows and grows until you come back.

One thing to keep in mind as far as the retesting goes, you'll need to re apply for the job. Any location that pops up apply for it. Amtrak has national seniority so you can move where ever you want to. I have applied to jobs all over the country..

Amtrak does work around people's military reserve schedules to accommodate the needed time off. I wouldn't necessarily advertise the fact you are a member before you are hired though...

I am a Freight Conductor at NS on furlough. I am looking to switch to Amtrak. Some of the guys I worked with were Vets and said that they wish they got hired on the railroad and then enlisted.. Once you're hired and enlist you keep your RR seniority and it just grows and grows until you come back.

One thing to keep in mind as far as the retesting goes, you'll need to re apply for the job. Any location that pops up apply for it. Amtrak has national seniority so you can move where ever you want to. I have applied to jobs all over the country..

Do you guys recommend applying for Amtrak first before enlisting in the military? and would Amtrak with be okay with that?..?

Thank you

Do you guys recommend applying for Amtrak first before enlisting in the military? and would Amtrak with be okay with that?..?

Thank you
They hire many who are veterans. And I have known several conductors who are in the reserves. My gut feeling, and it is only a gut feeling is it would not hurt your chances, it might even help.

I will most definitely try to get hired first before enlisting.

I wonder if amtrak has any 3month probation policy before I enlist . Has anybody been in the same position as me before here?

All railroads have a probation period.. Amtrak's from what I was told is 90 working days.. NOT 90 calendar days.. NS' is 60 calendar days.

Now legally they can't fire you if say you enlist and get deployed..

Back