Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Wish List for Amtrak/Train Service Expansions

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#81 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

There are a lot of interesting, and some rather grandiose wishes in this thread.  

I had a much more basic wish....extending some Downeaster's from Brunswick to Bangor.   I had thought that it shouldn't be too 'far out'....but then I read this excellent article, that sheds some realistic facts 

about why such an extension is unlikely.   Probably can apply to some of the other proposal's in this thread....

http://bangordailyne...r-a-pipe-dream/

Edited by railiner, 01 October 2017 - 10:13 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#82 Pere Flyer

Pere Flyer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dancing, traveling

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

I posted a version of this in the "Expanding the Amtrak Route Map" thread and thought it appropriately wishful for this one:

Amtrak service to Michigan's Upper Peninsula (perhaps named Superior Regional). I'd love to take a train from Chicago up the Wisconsin coast to Menominee, Escanaba, St Ignace, L'Anse, Marquette, Munising, Tahquamenon, and Sault Ste. Marie. Who wouldn't want to take a camping trip by train?

More grandiose, build a five mile rail bridge across the straits of Mackinac and extend the Pere Marquette through Muskegon, Ludington, Traverse City, Petoskey, Mackinaw City, and across the straits to St Ignace and Sault Ste Marie. Or, for a real pipe dream, make a rail "chunnel" Mackinaw City-St Ignace as a mini Gateway project (once the Mich legislature feels like spending money again). Time it with removing 64-year-old Enbridge Line 5 and save a bit of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Pere Marquette: 370 (CHI, HOM, GRR); 371 (GRR, HOM, CHI) | Heartland Flyer: 821 (OKC, NOR, FTW); 822 (FTW, NOR, OKC) | Texas Eagle: 22 (FTW, CHI)

S Shore Line | TRE | DART | MTA | NJT | DC Metro | MBTA | CTA | Denver RTD | MARTA | ATL Streetcar | QLine | Paris Métropolitain | Barcelona Metro | Greyhound Lines | Jefferson Lines

#83 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:50 PM

I want a Winnipeg Express with stops in New York, Albany, Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, Fargo, and Winnipeg.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#84 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

I want a through train Washington - Baltimore - Philadelphia - New York -Boston - Dublin - London.

https://en.wikipedia...rough_the_Deeps
http://www.iol.ie/~carrollm/hh/n13.htm

As you can see, this idea is not my own.

Edited by MARC Rider, 03 October 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#85 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

Your posted suggestion has more validity than mine my reason is I live sorta Near New York and Winnipeg is my favorite city.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#86 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,269 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

There are a lot of interesting, and some rather grandiose wishes in this thread.  
I had a much more basic wish....extending some Downeaster's from Brunswick to Bangor.   I had thought that it shouldn't be too 'far out'....but then I read this excellent article, that sheds some realistic facts 
about why such an extension is unlikely.   Probably can apply to some of the other proposal's in this thread....

http://bangordailyne...r-a-pipe-dream/

It's possible. Given the lengths by which Maine passenger rail has expanded (a short stretch at a time), I'd probably try for Augusta first (it's on the way, and getting state legislators to take the train always helps).

Edited by neroden, 09 October 2017 - 09:59 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#87 JRR

JRR

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

New Orleans to Jax or Orlando. Right now us Florida types have to go to DC to go anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#88 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

IMO, a weakness in the system is that there are no more direct routes from the East to Kansas City. Amtrak once had routes West from NYP  and WAS to KCY. One went through PGH an IND to KCY the other went through WV (National Ltd?) . Now all routes go through CHI and this makes the trip that much longer and more expensive.

The other weakness in the system is that there is no more direct route from CHI to FL, making a train trip essentially non-competitive with other forms of transportation. Unless the mentality about train travel in Washington changes, we will never see these routes again.

#89 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

I guess what you meant is that if you want to go East/West across the country, you have to go through either Chicago or New Orleans....no alternate routes via St. Louis, or Memphis 'gateway's'

One could say there is more than one route between the East and Kansas City, if you look at the several options between the East and Chicago (Lakeshore, Capitol, or Cardinal); and then between Chicago and Kansas City via either the Chief or the Missouri River Runner's....but all via Chicago.

Amtrak's National Limited went NYP-HAR-PGH- COL-IND- EFG-STL-KCY...and there was a WAS-HAR section.   The train did cross the northern panhandle of WV at Weirton, but did not stop there.

The pre-Amtrak, B&O National Limited did cross most of WV, on its Washington-CIN-STL routing...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#90 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:33 PM

New Orleans isn't feasible for East-West connections since the Crescent-SL and CONO-SL aren't same day connections like the connections in CHI are (not to mention the SL isn't daily). 

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Soon: Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#91 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:58 PM

Not a same day connection, but it is still an alternate route....and some might consider a night or two in New Orleans as a plus... :)

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#92 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Two wishes:

1.  A new Gulf Coast route between New Orleans and Jacksonville

2.  A route between Norfolk, VA and Roanoke, then through Bristol and on to Knoxville and Nashville.  The leg between NFK and RNK can be the Northeast Regional, and then a new route between Roanoke and Nashville.

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#93 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:51 PM

I like the idea of the second; the main question in my mind on the VA routes is how much cross-state business is there to be had (followed by "Which of the various paths across the state should be used?").  What I would see would be a train leaving NYP sometime in the early afternoon, arriving in Roanoke in the evening, and then overnighting to Knoxville.  To be fair, I'd probably also run the train through to Memphis (or even Dallas/Fort Worth), though I'd be curious as to how big the operating hole would be in each case (as there are some cases where extending a train significantly improves the operating picture because of through traffic, connections, etc.; MEM adds a connection to the CONO, while DAL/FTW adds in the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Heartland Flyer, and potentially Texas Central).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#94 Tarm

Tarm

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

Have the eastbound LSL leave three hours earlier. Run it across southern Michigan and turn it south to Toledo at Ann Arbor on the Ann Arbor Railroad. The grade is in but the interchange track will need to be rebuilt. Keep the ambus but run it Saginaw, Flint, Detroit, Dearborn, ending at Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor will become the southeast Michigan regional station for east coast passengers. The reroute will add 90 minutes or so to the trip so the Toledo stop would be 90 minutes earlier than now. I would leave the westbound schedule the same with an arrive time in Ann Arbor at 7am or so. The Ann Arbor Railroad is a short line and I do not know of the condition of their tracks. The CL can then be the late train out of Chicago cutting down the wait time for the Philly train and also the SM to Florida.

Tarm

#95 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

I totally second Tarm's comments!

It's about a week and a half old but you can comment here as well:

https://ntbraymer.wo...me-things-done/

Edited by Philly Amtrak Fan, 26 November 2017 - 12:13 PM.

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL), Soon: Texas Eagle (CHI-DAL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

#96 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

The ideal IMO would be for the LSL and Capitol connect at Toledo.  That would require schedule adjustment for 1 or both of the trains but one would go to Michigan then CHI and the other direct.  This gives connections for both trains intermediate stations from the east to the intermediate stations west of Toledo.  Capitol should probably be the direct train since it carries more end to end passengers.

Of course Pennsylvanian connections to the Capitol need consideration.

Edited by west point, 27 November 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#97 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

Two wishes:

1.  A new Gulf Coast route between New Orleans and Jacksonville

2.  A route between Norfolk, VA and Roanoke, then through Bristol and on to Knoxville and Nashville.  The leg between NFK and RNK can be the Northeast Regional, and then a new route between Roanoke and Nashville.

I'd settle for just a second, late-morning Regional departure from NFK. The afternoon NPN departure leaves too late to connect to anything at PHL and NYP.

#98 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Albuquerque-Denver-Cheyenne-Billings-Spokane.

#99 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:17 PM

The ideal IMO would be for the LSL and Capitol connect at Toledo.  That would require schedule adjustment for 1 or both of the trains but one would go to Michigan then CHI and the other direct.  This gives connections for both trains intermediate stations from the east to the intermediate stations west of Toledo.  Capitol should probably be the direct train since it carries more end to end passengers.

Of course Pennsylvanian connections to the Capitol need consideration.

That would mean the LSL and the Capitol would essentially be on the same schedule from Cleveland to Toledo....

Only two trains a day on a route should be separated as widely as possible to give rider's a choice of schedules....

I think the ideal, would be to have the LSL, the Capitol and a third train (could be the Pennsylvanian) separated by 8 hours to yield the most choice.  Possibly adjust that somewhat to make end times work out better...

And as far as Michigan, I would run a couple of Chicago Detroit trains to Toledo, and only one of them up to Pontiac.......

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#100 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:25 PM

Albuquerque-Denver-Cheyenne-Billings-Spokane.

Interesting. That could connect the western trains.  Albuquerque-Denver sounds a lot like Front Range? What would the tracks be for those routes (who owns them?) Seems like a lot of miles to me (over 1000).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users