Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Wish List for Amtrak/Train Service Expansions

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:27 PM

I'd say first thing is switch a lot of the current Thruway services to rail where possible. Then a direct higher speed Chicago-Minneapolis train via Rockford, Dubuque and Rochester (a route which once had a dozen trains and today a paltry one) along with more service in Wisconsin, i.e. Milwaukee-Green Bay, Milwaukee-Madison, etc.

Obviously, my wish list is Chicagocentric, hence: service to Toronto, Quad Cities, Rockford, Des Moines, Louisville and the Ohio cities.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#42 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:51 PM

One thought about adding / restoring service.  For both single level and Superliners how many cars are repairable at Beech Grove ?  Second what is the cost of each restoration ?.  What is the time line for repairing each of the cars ?'

Same metrics for the additional P-40  -42s needed that are on the dead line at Beech.  The loco situation appears to be a function of lack of loco trucks.  Every performance report for last 12 months states that spare replacement trucks are not available and trucks are replaced as soon as a spare  gets to Beech 

#43 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:17 AM

Good Morning,

I just thought I'd post a thread where people can post theoretical routes for Amtrak (without a quick shutdown of "there is no money"). Just a place for dreamers to dream, I guess, but also where there can be serious conversation. 

My theoretical route is called the "Ohio Zephyr"

It runs between Chicago, IL and Columbus, OH, with intermediate stops. Major stops include Chicago, Gary, Valparaiso, Warsaw, Fort Wayne, Toledo, Findlay, Marion, Dublin, and Columbus.

Thoughts?

Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 
Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken:
Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot)
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#44 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

Good Morning,

I just thought I'd post a thread where people can post theoretical routes for Amtrak (without a quick shutdown of "there is no money"). Just a place for dreamers to dream, I guess, but also where there can be serious conversation. 

It runs between Chicago, IL and Columbus, OH, with intermediate stops. Major stops include Chicago, Gary, Valparaiso, Warsaw, Fort Wayne, Toledo, Findlay, Marion, Dublin, and Columbus.

Thoughts?

My thought is what is the difference between this thread you've created and the Wish List for Amtrak/Train Service Expansions, started by PhillyAmtrakFan in the "Amtrak’s Future: Member Ideas and Discussion:Discuss future ideas, proposals, and discussion about Amtrak's future forum". , where some of us have posted our ideas already?

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#45 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:25 AM

I would like to see the return of the Desert Wind and the Broadway Limited/Three Rivers. 

#46 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

Thirdrail7 is correct this thread needs to be moved and combined. 

#47 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:32 AM

Thirdrail7 is correct this thread needs to be moved and combined. 

Moderator Note:  The topics have been merged.  

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#48 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

Good Morning,

Thoughts?

All Aboard Ohio has a proposal for it: http://freepdfhostin.../cf26514bc8.pdf

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#49 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

Good Morning,

Thoughts?

I will be going to their meeting in a few weeks.
Trains Taken:
Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot)
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#50 railbuck

railbuck

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:51 PM

Thoughts?

AAO's proposal connects Fort Wayne to Columbus via Lima, which is shorter and seems more straightforward.  Other than making it more convenient for you to ride (nothing wrong with that if you're dreaming), are there advantages to routing it through Toledo?

#51 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:04 AM

Thoughts?

AAO's proposal connects Fort Wayne to Columbus via Lima, which is shorter and seems more straightforward.  Other than making it more convenient for you to ride (nothing wrong with that if you're dreaming), are there advantages to routing it through Toledo?

Toledo has the largest ridership in the state.
Trains Taken:
20,221 Miles By Rail...

#52 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

My theoretical route is the "Ohio Zephyr"... between Chicago and Columbus with ... stops including Gary, Valparaiso, Warsaw, Fort Wayne, Toledo, Findlay, Marion, and Dublin.

AAO's proposal connects Fort Wayne to Columbus via Lima ... are there advantages to routing it through Toledo?
Toledo has the largest ridership in the state.

Toledo is the biggest Ohio city with almost waking hours service, near midnight and barely dawn. The times work for Toledo-Chicago "corridor type" service. Toledo also "serves" Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Detroit, but those folks want to go east (to go west they have Wolverines) and they aren't thinking about Columbus.

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 14 May 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#53 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

My theoretical route is the "Ohio Zephyr"...  runs between Chicago and Columbus with ... stops including Gary, Valparaiso, Warsaw, Fort Wayne, Toledo, Findlay, Marion, and Dublin.

Sorry, I'm not impressed with the All Aboard Ohio plan for the route. I got up the rail maps from the Ohio and Indiana DOTs, and it's a cumbersome route, to be kind. I guess if it was easy, it would have been tried already.

From the Indiana border, it looks like the route is a NOT Class 1 railroad, but a glorified shortline. Then it hands off to one or another, not very direct, CSX route to get down to Columbus. Handing off the train from one host to another to another is asking for trouble trouble trouble.

iirc All Aboard Ohio has 6 or 7 proposed new trains. The priorities to me seem obvious: A daily Cardinal. Upgrades to 110-mph Chicago-Ft Wayne-Toledo-Cleveland-Pittsburgh corridor service with about 8 trains a day.

Then tweak the PGH-CLE route to include Youngstown-Warren. Connect Ann Arbor/Dearborn/Detroit-TOL-CLE-PGH. Upgrades Cincy-Indy-CHI to 110-mph corridor service with about 8 trains a day. And the 3-Cs -- if they can get it to connect to the Cardinal and the CHI-Indy-Cincy corridor trains at Union Station in Cincinnati, and get it to go faster than 49-mph average speed -- then Cincy-Dayton-Columbus-CLE-Lake Shore Ltd route to NYC.

Sorry. Somehow that ranking puts 'Columbus-Ft Wayne-CHI', Detroit-TOL-Columbus-Cincy-hitch onto "Cardinal" and head for-Richmond-Norfolk' as well as 'Columbus-via rebuilt row-PGH' at the bottom of my priorities for Ohio. Not saying never, but not in the next dozen years.

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 14 May 2016 - 01:21 PM.

#54 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

Hudson tunnels have no additional slots only in the rush direction during two morning and two afternoon hours. Other than that there are plenty of slots to be had.

I wasn't 100% sure which time frame you were referring to. I'd guess 7-9am and 4-6pm?

Trains Traveled: Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA), Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI), , Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL), Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX), California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY), City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)
Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

#55 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Hudson tunnels have no additional slots only in the rush direction during two morning and two afternoon hours. Other than that there are plenty of slots to be had.

I wasn't 100% sure which time frame you were referring to. I'd guess 7-9am and 4-6pm?

Those would roughly be the so called Commission Hours. Thirdrail would be able to give more precise definition, but just perusing the timetables would suggest those to be pretty close.

#56 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Are the Hudson river tunnels still single tracking on weekends? I left NYP on 91 on Sunday and due to a mechanical issue we left about 30 minutes late, around 11:30 AM. This was during the time the tunnel should be open for eastbounds, which was confirmed by a NJT arriving before we left and another we passed just after leaving the tunnels. Were they both open just over last weekend or are they both open every weekend now?
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#57 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

Yes. Not all weekend days, but many weekend days. The timetable is built around the assumption that it is single track operation on weekends.

#58 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

Yes. Not all weekend days, but many weekend days. The timetable is built around the assumption that it is single track operation on weekends.

That makes sense. Once we got into the window for eastbound trains I figured we couldn't leave until the next westbound window. It surprised me when we suddenly started moving at 11:30. Were any frequencies reduced when the schedules were adjusted for single tracking or were the schedules simply adjusted?

Edited by brianpmcdonnell17, 24 March 2017 - 09:21 AM.

Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#59 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

That makes sense. Once we got into the window for eastbound trains I figured we couldn't leave until the next westbound window. It surprised me when we suddenly started moving at 11:30. Were any frequencies reduced when the schedules were adjusted for single tracking or were the schedules simply adjusted?

There are only 8 slots per hour in each direction as I recall. Amtrak has 3 and NJT has 5. Some local adjustments can be made as needed subject to the limit of 8 per hour usually. Further adjustments can be made if needed to trade a slot from eastbound to westbound or vice versa.

#60 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

You want to see a long wish list, how about this one?

https://ntbraymer.wo...-ceo-of-amtrak/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users