Guest Rewards Changes Stink

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I used to love having the ability to use my points to make a last minute change on a reservation. For example, if I wanted to stay somewhere for an extra day or two, I could use my points and avoid the ridiculous marked up prices. Now? Basically gotta pay the ridiculous price. Hence, there's now zero reason to buy points, as I would only use them before to avoid the marked up prices. So yeah, I just needed to vent... Anyone else feel the same?

I agree the change penalty is not very good, and some of the longer distance rewards cost much more (like coast to coast travel). But most of my awards under 2.0 actually cost less! :)

As an example, I'm taking my last 1.0 award in October. I'm beginning the award at NYP. To get to NYP, I'm doing a quick turn to eliminate a long layover. Under 1.0 it would have cost 4K (NEC award) or 5.500 points (national award) for coach or 6,500 for BC, but under 2,0 it cost ~1K for coach or ~3K for BC! Thus I'm very happy! :)

See the long thread over the past year discussing this! As has been said, the New and Unimproved AGR2.0 is better in some respects for some but the way it was introduced and explained was somewhat misleading and downright dishonest in a few instances!

It didn't help me, a LD only rider but those on Corridors and having frequent trains seem to like it!

As with all things Amtrak, YMMV!

See the long thread over the past year discussing this! As has been said, the New and Unimproved AGR2.0 is better in some respects for some but the way it was introduced and explained was somewhat misleading and downright dishonest in a few instances!

It didn't help me, a LD only rider but those on Corridors and having frequent trains seem to like it!

As with all things Amtrak, YMMV!
Yeah, I typically only take long trips from DC to Boston. It was 4k points before regardless of date. Now? If I wanted to book a train before this weekend, it'll cost me 6k+. Weekend travel would likely be over 8k+! Now, I know I can book early, I just liked having the flexibility to change the dates. Oh well...

Yeah...I think the range of opinion here runs the gamut from "mixed bag" to "wouldn't mind if whomever masterminded this got shot"*. With respect, "short turns" were never really what you wanted to aim for (frankly at that point you were probably often almost as well off using points for gift cards). Aside from Amtrak spend I've basically killed off using my AGR cards (my Chase AGR card was my old go-to card), though I might consider churning them for status.

*When I went ballistic at the initial announcement, over on FT it was taken as an overreaction. When I went ballistic a second time at the "surprises" I suddenly had half the board nodding in agreement.

Whoever choose to advertise no blackouts without listing the fine print until after the January implementation. And the sudden disappearance of the points calculator at implementation. I fail to see how that is consistent with integrity standards.

The first one is an issue, though the fact remains that there is always the caveat that the program can be changed at any point, which basically covers any such sin. I m not saying it is customer friendly, but to claim it is inconsistent with the program description at any point is a bit of a stretch.

I do not understand the second point at all. Can't you get the points cost by trying out reservations in the reservation system. What is the need for a points calculator which never claimed to be a definitive thing anyway. it was always shown as a estimate.

So all in all I don't see a solid case for firing anyone over this. However, feel free to take it to a court and watch yourself getting tossed out pronto if you wish. If you see what happened to the zillion challenges to much more significant changes in the United Mileage Plus program at the merger, or similar changes in the Delta or American programs, which all BTW are much much larger with way more assets involved, you will see that there is no grounds for firing anyone.

People who get too hooked on these programs are living a bit in fantasy-land anyway. It is good for everyone's health to snap out of it. I think DA has described the futility of thinking that one is dealing with any sort of stable currency in the form of points in another thread better than anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the "no blackout dates" and the higher points needed, that was a surprise to many. However under 1.0, Select+ members also had the "no blackout dates" option available. And they were also subject to the same higher points needed to redeem them! There were even threads about it here on AU.

As far as the point calculator, it is not needed. On the reservation screen results, in the top left corner (where the train choices are) there are 2 boxes. One says "Dollars" and the other says "Points". (The default is cash.) If you choose cash, the results are $47, $75, $112. If you choose points, the results are 1,547 points, 4,273 points (or whatever it works out to be). There's your point calculator!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back