New menus - nothing vegetarian on the Cardinal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johanna

Service Attendant
It looks like new dining car menus have recently been posted, with a disturbing change. The four dinner entrees on the Cardinal are chicken enchiladas, lasagna Bolognese, pulled pork, and tilapia - no meatless options at all. The "special dietary requirements" page still says "There is always one meat-free item on every menu and passengers who want vegetarian (meat-free) items may select that; no special vegetarian meal request is required (or possible)," even though it looks like this is no longer true.

I am taking the Cardinal next month from DC to Chicago. I am also a vegetarian. Is there a chance that there will be some "special" off-menu item for me to order, or should I plan on bringing my own food for dinner? If the latter, this is extremely disappointing.

Last time I looked, tilapia was a fish, meeting the "meat-free" definition. If your'e going vegan, then that could be a problem.

In most parts of this country, "vegetarian" is commonly understood to mean no meat, poultry, fish, or seafood of any kind. There are some people who call themselves vegetarian who also eat fish, but many more that don't. On the page I quoted above, it also says, "Vegetarians meals contain no meat, but normally do contain dairy or egg products." If Amtrak is revising its definition of "vegetarian" to include meals that contain fish, they really need to specify that, or else a lot of people are going to be unhappy.

I would call Amtrak, ask for an agent, and see what options you may have. They may be able to have some extra salads placed on the train or perhaps another pasta dish without meat. There is an entree salad listed on the lunch menu, but there is no guarantee that there would be any available by supper time.

Unlike Canadian trains I rode last summer where a special diet meal was ready and had my name on it when I ate in business class.

There are many people like myself who have cancer and have been told by your doctors to eliminate all meat from our diets, not because of the fact it is meat, but because there are cancer causing chemicals and hormones. Not addressing this need discriminates against those who want or those who have to be vegetarian.

Last time I looked, tilapia was a fish, meeting the "meat-free" definition. If your'e going vegan, then that could be a problem.
This post makes so little sense it makes my head hurt. Fish is a meat. Vegetarians do not eat meat.

Pescatarian is the name of the diet that includes fish and seafood.

This post makes so little sense it makes my head hurt. Fish is a meat. Vegetarians do not eat meat.

I felt the same way reading that. I don't mind a simple lack of knowledge but proud ignorance of nuance annoys me to no end.

It appears that the lasagna could have been a vegetarian choice, until they poured meet sauce over it. :(

Oh, so close. ;)

Even if the lunchtime salad is available at dinner, having a salad (listed on the menu as "280 calories average") as the only meal choice for two meals in a row is an extremely poor option. Most adults need more food than that.

Most adults need a diet.

Amtrak has solved two problem with one stone.

Traveling in July, already told my two special people to pack heavy. Gluten, milk products, nuts + tree nuts, and host of other minor foods.

NARP boss has food issues, himself. So Amtrak will be hearing from him. The level of "we don't care" is quite unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a point of reference, the new Cardinal menu is here. Most of the new items also are viewable on the Food Facts website.

I felt the same way reading that. I don't mind a simple lack of knowledge but proud ignorance of nuance annoys me to no end.
We'll let me say I thought that most vegetarians could eat fish, but only because most of the vegetarians I know are actually pescatarians, but they themselves say to me that they are vegetarians. Now obviously not all vegetarians do that, but most that I have known eat fish and still call themselves vegetarian. I do know the difference between the two though

Just-Thinking-51: I know you're joking, but telling someone you've never met that she probably needs to lose weight is kind of a sensitive area.

keelhauled: Actually, the Food Facts listings for the Cardinal and the CONO (which now has a similar menu) haven't been updated yet - although for the other routes they have.

It looks like new dining car menus have recently been posted, with a disturbing change. The four dinner entrees on the Cardinal are chicken enchiladas, lasagna Bolognese, pulled pork, and tilapia - no meatless options at all. The "special dietary requirements" page still says "There is always one meat-free item on every menu and passengers who want vegetarian (meat-free) items may select that; no special vegetarian meal request is required (or possible)," even though it looks like this is no longer true.

I am taking the Cardinal next month from DC to Chicago. I am also a vegetarian. Is there a chance that there will be some "special" off-menu item for me to order, or should I plan on bringing my own food for dinner? If the latter, this is extremely disappointing.

Maybe there has been a change and the online site hasn't been update. Perhaps you can call the number and see if requesting the vegetarian meal is possible since it is quite clear the menu doesn't have an item.

We'll let me say I thought that most vegetarians could eat fish, but only because most of the vegetarians I know are actually pescatarians, but they themselves say to me that they are vegetarians. Now obviously not all vegetarians do that, but most that I have known eat fish and still call themselves vegetarian. I do know the difference between the two though
Yeah there is some confusion in this country I suppose. But the largest vegetarian population in the world probably is in India, which is something like 46% vegetarian in a population of 1.2+ billion. So there are a tad bit less than twice as many vegetarians in India as the entire population of the US. No one that eats fish there calls themselves a vegetarian. Indeed they'd probably get skinned alive if they tried, since it is a very touchy issue :D

Indeed they have local terms for vegetarian (which is what one calls vegan here possibly) plus some additional stuff that they eat, like eggitarian and such. But fish definitely places one in the non-vegetarian camp. And eggitarians even differentiate between whether they will eat only a non-fertilized egg, or they are OK with eating fertilized eggs too. It is all mind-numbingly complicated when you get into that.

To OP Johanna.

I suggest you call as I suggested in my earlier post #5 and see what Amtrak can do for you. Perhaps you will get an answer to your inquiry while this discussion goes on about vegetarianism :)

There is a vegan meal available by "special request", Pad Thai with Rice Noodles, that will be available to vegetarians during dinner. The children's mac and cheese is also vegetarian. Kosher meals will also be available "by reservation." So, I'm guessing the Pad Thai will be available just by asking onboard, but Kosher meals must be requested in advance as a special request on the reservation.

The Cardinal's meals are going from pre-cooked kits that are heated and plated onboard, to entire pre-cooked and pre-plated meals that are simply heated and served as-is.

The Cardinal's meals are going from pre-cooked kits that are heated and plated onboard, to entire pre-cooked and pre-plated meals that are simply heated and served as-is.
Ahh. Like the Current city of New Orleans? That's a shame. While the Cardinal wasn't great food, it was better than the current City menu.

Just-Thinking-51: I know you're joking, but telling someone you've never met that she probably needs to lose weight is kind of a sensitive area.
The post was reference Amtrak and the complete lack of easily available foods that would cover multi issues.

Gluten free vegan lasagna made with out nuts is my standard effort to making my sister's family a meal. Takes care of all the major issues and there is no left overs for the dogs on the plates.

Sorry if you have taken any offense. None intended.

Alan (The Tall One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back