The "Acela Corridor"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think the media thinks about it when they also use footage of the derailment in KS (i.e. - Superliner) for the incident on the NEC? :huh:
Well, we got the Bible belt, the Rust belt, Corn Belt, now the Acela Corridor. It can't be something he made up out of the blue. I was surprised when the NE primaries were being discussed, and the voters in this region were referred to as Acela Corridor voters.

Watching CNN today, I heard the NE voters being described as the "Acela Corridor." When did this come into play?
The Acela Corridor description for the Northeast states, especially when referring to the major metropolitan regions from Washington DC to Boston has been in use for the past few years. The members of the media, the pundits, political types routinely take the Acela when traveling between DC and NYC so it is a term that gets used by the media. How much the Acela Corridor term has supplanted or replaced the Northeast Corridor in normal use, hard to say.

Eventually there may be an Acela series in basketball or baseball.
The baseball, basketball, and hockey teams that take Amtrak between the cities on the NEC use special trains made up of Amfleet and maybe ex-Metroliner cars. They don't take Acela trains. so an "Acela" series really does not work. The NEC series or Northeast Corridor series is a term that gets used.

BTW, if one types in Acela Corridor into google, you may see "Acela corridor elite" or "Acela corridor ideology" among the pop-up options. Those will lead to links where the Acela corridor is used as a negative term by the right wing conservative types for the northeast. So Acela Corridor is a phrase used in different ways and contexts. ;)

The baseball, basketball, and hockey teams that take Amtrak between the cities on the NEC use special trains made up of Amfleet and maybe ex-Metroliner cars. They don't take Acela trains. so an "Acela" series really does not work. The NEC series or Northeast Corridor series is a term that gets used.

BTW, if one types in Acela Corridor into google, you may see "Acela corridor elite" or "Acela corridor ideology" among the pop-up options. Those will lead to links where the Acela corridor is used as a negative term by the right wing conservative types for the northeast. So Acela Corridor is a phrase used in different ways and contexts. ;)
All I get is info about Amtrak. The good the bad, trip reports etc.

Thinking about the "I-35 Rivalry" and "I-10 Rivalry" between San Antonio and Dallas/Houston the naming hasn't had anything to do with how the teams actually travel for several decades now. So far as I am aware every NBA team has their own privately leased/chartered VIP aircraft which they fly to every city they play in. Thus it would appear that the naming of rivalries mainly has to do with how the fans see it. If the fans see it as an Acela rivalry, either because of the wealth of the teams/players or because professional sports is associated with business related entertaining, then the Acela Series/Rivalry would still be appropriate in my view.

BTW, if one types in Acela Corridor into google, you may see "Acela corridor elite" or "Acela corridor ideology" among the pop-up options. Those will lead to links where the Acela corridor is used as a negative term by the right wing conservative types for the northeast. So Acela Corridor is a phrase used in different ways and contexts.
The term seems to have various meanings, one of which is part of an "oh woe is me" lamenting about how the rural "heartland" isn't being properly revered by large cities.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the NEC rich voters: Acela Corridor

NEC Middle Class Voters: NE Regional Corridor

:)
And what does that make those of us who sometimes use SEPTA/NJT Trenton shuffle? The NEC cheapskate voters, I guess! :p

Seriously though, it surprises me that Acela has enough name recognition for this to be a "thing." Props to Amtrak, I suppose. But I agree that the name probably stems from the fact that many of the pundit/TV blowhard crowd probably use the Acela so for them, it's synonymous with train travel.

My SA Spurs sometimes use Amtrak when in the NEC between WAS, PHL and NYP.

As was said they normally use a Private Car on a Regional, but one time I was on an Acela ( in Biz Class) between WAS and NYP and they were in Acela FC.

I asked Timmy Duncan (a 7 footer)@ NYP how the seats were, and he told me that it was more comfortable than a Commercial Flight, but not as good as a Charter!

You really think the media thinks about it when they also use footage of the derailment in KS (i.e. - Superliner) for the incident on the NEC? :huh:
Fox News used footage of the #188 derailment the other day when updating on the #89 accident.

On another topic..............I hate it when the Conductor blows the horn. They never do it right and wind up hitting people and objects with their trains. Just let the Engineer do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back