Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Auto Train Business Class?

21 replies to this topic

#21 FormerOBS

FormerOBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Literature; History in general, especially American Hist.; Hist. of RR's & Industry; Camping; Travel; Model Railroading. Retired from Amtrak June, 2014 after 27 years and over 3,500,000 miles. What I say here DOES NOT necessarily represent Amtrak's views or policies.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

66/67 used to carry sleepers. There was the Washington to Boston sleeper, and there was the New York Executive Sleeper, which ran north out of Washington and was dropped at Penn Station in the middle of the night. I worked them both on the Washington extra board in early 1987. The Boston job was tolerable, but I hated the New York job because of poor security after the car was dropped and the rest of the train left. The occupied car was left alone and no security personnel ever checked on us until the passengers detrained in the morning.  I was promised a radio in case of trouble, but they NEVER had one for me. The Penn Station folks didn't care. 

Tom

#22 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:14 AM

66/67 used to carry sleepers. There was the Washington to Boston sleeper, and there was the New York Executive Sleeper, which ran north out of Washington and was dropped at Penn Station in the middle of the night. I worked them both on the Washington extra board in early 1987. The Boston job was tolerable, but I hated the New York job because of poor security after the car was dropped and the rest of the train left. The occupied car was left alone and no security personnel ever checked on us until the passengers detrained in the morning.  I was promised a radio in case of trouble, but they NEVER had one for me. The Penn Station folks didn't care. 

Tom

I've heard all about them from various attendants, but was wondering how that worked in NYP. What a PITA that must've been.

You know..I asked a high up manager on the corridor about the sleeper returning to 67, and he claimed they have actually been looking in to it, but were waiting for the new sleepers to show up before it'd ever happen. So let's hope!

I've still been pushing for OBS to have some mode of communication with the crew, for safety. Had an extra board attendant who was hit a few months back, and thankfully it was a busyish train so there were many other passengers around who jumped in for -her- safety. But if it happened on a train like 67 where the cafe was empty, and the crew is following the rules for the corridor and not sitting in the car...

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users