Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Express Action in India

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 GiantsFan

GiantsFan

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:43 PM

I just went to india for the first time (Cousin's engagement) ... and I rode a few trains while I was there. 

First I did the Delhi (Hazrat Nizamuddin) to Agra Gatimaan express (Fastest train in India)

Second I did the Delhi to Jaipur mail express in AC2 (Highest class available - sleeper train) 

Lastly i did Jaipur to Delhi on the Double Decker Express in Executive chair class. 

Great experiences all 3 times! 

Home Station: EMY. Routes: Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Capitol Corridor, San Joaquin, San Diegan, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades, Northeast Regional.

#22 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

And here we worry about Amtrak trains waiting for freight trains! Here is a super fast rated express stuck waiting for higher priority expresses to overtake it. To mitigate this problem portions of this section are being triple and quadruple tracked progressively with installation of CTC and ERTMS II equivalent capabilities.

Dispatching that segment between Delhi and Kanpur is complex because there are at least five category of trains:

1. Priority Mail/Express
2. Other Mail/Express
3. Other Passenger
4. Priority Goods
5. Other Goods

Most of the route is double tracked with passing sidings at each station. Some of the planned triple tracking is in place already here and there. Eastbound every evening and Westbound every morning there is a stream of category 1 trains heading from/to Delhi to/from the East. To keep things moving on time, the dispatcher has to make sure that they have not released too many Goods trains so as to keep enough sidings free to place the category 2 and 3 trains into when the stream of category 1 trains come by. Once a category 2 or 3 train gets stuck in a siding they may be in it for a while as is illustrated in the video. When they are on time, such overtakes are scheduled into their timetable. A close study of the timetable gives a good indication where the overtakes are normally supposed to take place.

In this example 12303 is running behind schedule, and the parade of Priority 1s caught up with it before it could get to Ghaziabad.Ajaibpur, where this sequence is taken is the third or fourth station towards Kanpur/Kolkata from Ghaziabad Jn. where several lines come together to head from there into New Delhi and Delhi Jn. station over two separate routes. Normally 12303 is supposed to arrive into Ghaziabad and New Delhi before any of these trains that overtake it in this video are supposed to get there. So it basically gets held up for close to an hour while the on time flight of trains overtake it. This is why the adage "late trains get later" holds true in tightly scheduled segments with little additional capacity to play around with.

Here is the regularly scheduled overtakes that take place most late afternoons on the eastbound....

And lest you believe that Poorva Express only gets overtaken by others, here it is overtaking a lower priority express:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4luDPacnq6M

This is on the 4 track speedway between Asansol and Bardhaman in West Bengal about 120km from Kolkata.

Edited by jis, 01 March 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#23 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

Express trains waiting on other express trains (too many express trains)? If I were snarky, I would say first world problems.... ;)

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#24 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

There are a huge number of trains in India, so there are humble "express" and "superfast express" even before you get to the real fast Rajdhani and similar express trains!

Having a bit more elbow room on the faster trains is more important to me than the speed, from my standing at the open door, sightseeing tourist point of view. :D

Ed.

#25 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Been a while, so here is another one of a race between two expresses. This one is in the state of West Bengal on the Howrah - Bardhaman Chord Line which is the primary route of all higher speed expresses from/to Kolkata to/from the Northwest, including Delhi. This section is now slated to get a fourth track, and possibly additional tracks for the Dedicated Freight Corridor between Kolkata - Delhi and the Northwest.

Edited by jis, 17 April 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#26 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,299 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

And its Seabiscuit by a Nose!😎

And we just think the Summer consists of the Canadian are Long! How'd you like to walk that train???!!😄

Edited by Bob Dylan, 17 April 2017 - 12:23 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#27 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

Rajdhanis with 20 or 21 is the max. There are other expresses that carry 24 and a few these days that even go upto 26 I am told.

But there are about half a dozen effectively daily trains between Delhi and Kolkata that are each 20 cars or more AFAICT.

#28 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,964 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:56 AM

Yep, if you are at the wrong end of the platform when your train pulls in, it 'aint going to be a restful start to your trip. Trust me!

Ed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users