Bunches of newbie questions - Empire Builder - Milwaukee to Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kelemvor

Train Attendant
Howdy,

We (2 adults, 2 kids (1st & 5th grade)) want to take a trip from Milwaukee to the Seattle area this summer. When exploring travel ideas I came across the Empire Builder that makes that exact route. Getting a Sleeper Room is more expensive than flying so we'd be using Coach for the trip. It would be from the early afternoon on day 1 until the late morning on day 3. This leads me to some questions.

1) How comfortable is sleeping in coach? I've seen a lot of people state it's kind of like on an airplane but with more reclining and more space between the seats. Is it relatively comfortable? We can bring earmuffs, eye masks, etc if that would help.

2) How does baggage work? Do you check your main luggage and just take a carry-on on the train? Can you get to your luggage if you need to? How secure is everything when you're sleeping? How about when you go up to the Scenery car? Do you have to take everything with you or can you leave things in your seats? We don't want to be paranoid but don't want to have anything stolen

3) How is the food on the trains? Some of my family is Gluten Free. Do they have any options to accommodate restrictions like that? If not, how does one bring 2 days of food on the train? Can we bring a picnic cooler or something to keep food in? Can we get free ice on the train to keep things cold?

That's all for now. I know that was a lot of random questions but none of us have ever traveled by train before and we know nothing about it.

Thanks!

1) How comfortable is sleeping in coach? I've seen a lot of people state it's kind of like on an airplane but with more reclining and more space between the seats. Is it relatively comfortable? We can bring earmuffs, eye masks, etc if that would help.
In my experience sitting in coach on Amtrak is fine for a day trip but sleeping in coach is just uncomfortable enough to keep me up most of the night and leave me exhausted on the second day. Over a long enough trip I'll eventually fall asleep in coach but it won't be comfortable and restful sleep. Perhaps it has something to do with my age but I can still sleep in coach on an aircraft so that seems unlikely to me.

2) How does baggage work? Do you check your main luggage and just take a carry-on on the train? Can you get to your luggage if you need to? How secure is everything when you're sleeping? How about when you go up to the Scenery car? Do you have to take everything with you or can you leave things in your seats? We don't want to be paranoid but don't want to have anything stolen.
You cannot access your checked luggage until you arrive at your destination. You can leave stuff in your seats if you want but be smart about it. I don't have any statistics but it's relatively rare to hear someone complain of having important items stolen. That being said it seems like it would be extremely easy for anyone with a little determination to steal valuables, so be sure to keep them out of sight.

3) How is the food on the trains? Some of my family is Gluten Free. Do they have any options to accommodate restrictions like that? If not, how does one bring 2 days of food on the train? Can we bring a picnic cooler or something to keep food in? Can we get free ice on the train to keep things cold?
I personally don't like the food these days, and it's pretty expensive for folks in coach, in my opinion anyway. I don't think Amtrak has (or wants) any control over factors like glutenous ingredients. Which means you'll probably be bringing a lot of your own food in cooler. I'm not sure if ice is free or not but others should know. Welcome to the forum, best of luck on your trip, and don't forget to write a trip report when you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
f you're on Facebook, there's a page for the Empire Builder there..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmtraksEmpireBuilder/

1-Coach is comfy, and you can really lay back and kick up your feet to relax. If you're a light sleeper, yes, for sure bring ear plugs, and a mask as there will be people coming and going though out the night. Bring pillow as there's no pillow given out in coach, and a light blanket as well.

2-You can check baggage that you won't need to get into.. Otherwise, you can bring carry on for items that you'll need on the trip, and back pack you can put in the over head bin above you.. I've never been worried about my items on the train, and if you have valueable items, make sure it's out of site..

3-Food is good for what they are limited to have. But being that you're in coach, it can get expensive, where in sleeper all the meal is part of your tickets. Here's a link to Amtrak's page about special menu needs. https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241337915248

I've never worried too much about my stuff in coach. I have a heavy, obsolete laptop, which I just close and stick in the seatback pocket when I get up to go to the restroom or the cafe, LOL. No one has ever touched it. If I had an iPhone or iPad, you can bet I'd keep it with me at all times. Use your discretion.

I don't believe they will give you more than a cup of ice at a time, so I would not count on a cooler past the first day. For gluten-free, try packets of tuna, tins of smoked oysters, rye crackers or rice cakes, peanut butter, fruit (fresh or dried), nuts, chocolate etc. Cheese will keep fine at room temperature for a day or two past the ice. You may bring a small pocket knife on board with you.

The seats are generously sized, but not exactly cushy. There is plenty of legroom, the backs recline (but nowhere near flat), and there are footrests that raise up like a recliner. I've managed without a pillow by rolling up a fleece jacket, but you'll be very comfy if you have lightweight, stretchy clothes for night time, and a light throw blanket and pillow. Slip-on shoes are good, as you are not allowed to walk about the train without shoes.

If you were to fly, how much would you spend on accommodations and meals during the extra time you have at your destination? Why not consider that the accommodations on the train are just a rolling version of a motel, including all meals (did you know that all meals are included in the accommodation charge?)? You are trading the amenity of roominess for the amenity of a rolling, ever changing view. Check out different types of rooms to see if one type is significantly less expensive. If you do the two roomette option, you'd want to have one adult with each child.

If you were to fly, how much would you spend on accommodations and meals during the extra time you have at your destination? Why not consider that the accommodations on the train are just a rolling version of a motel, including all meals (did you know that all meals are included in the accommodation charge?) ? You are trading the amenity of roominess for the amenity of a rolling, ever changing view. Check out different types of rooms to see if one type is significantly less expensive. If you do the two roomette option, you'd want to have one adult with each child.
Flying doesn't require you to spend "extra" time at your destination. Flying is what allows you to trim extra time and fine tune your trip's duration. Having to wait for a once-a-day train to show up is what forces extra time on you that may not have originally desired. The "Amtrak is like a hotel stay" sales pitch really only works for people who were planning to drive. It makes no sense to pitch Amtrak as a hotel on wheels that saves money for people who were going to fly. If you're flying you don't need or benefit from the cost implications of a hotel on wheels.

Welcome to AU kelemvor. Please read the threads on the AU Section for FAQ and First Time Riders, it has lots of great info.

Also the Trip reports here are very informative.

The info given by others is good stuff, personally Id look into getting 2 Roomettes for One Night,say from Minot,ND to Seattle. (The First night from Milwaukee to North Dakota is mostly in the dark after LaCrosse,WI.)

This way you would have your Room and a Shower to use, and it would include 4 meals in the Diner for all of you.( Breakfast, Lunch,Dinner and Breakfast the 3rd Morning.)

If rooms weren't available from Minot you can check further up the line at various Towns.

Also consider using amsnag.net, a great pricing tool developed by one of our members ( Paul M) that will show you the Rail Fares and Room Charges for up to 30 Days at a time, up to 11 months in advance, so if your travel days are flexible,it may save you money. ( sometimes there are hundreds of dollars difference between say going on Friday and a Tuesday.)

Nice trip, the family that travels together make memories that last a lifetime!

I might suggest a few things,,,,,,

Nobody has ever messed with my stuff ever on Amtrak. She Who Must Be Obeyed has a KYSS locking back for use with the cash, tickets, valuables. It is a simple and elegant design. We actually often forget to lock it on Amtrak boy but does it provide comfort when we leave the hotel....... Make a little day bag for everyone, then keep one case in the luggage rack downstairs and check as much as you can.

Perhaps you might be able to afford one leg of the trip in a sleeper,,, you have to look at the Amtrak Map but there is a left the second night where you might want to get a sleeper,, you can jump back and forth,, it might be within your budget. I couldn't sleep on a coach but I am 60+ with more problems than Carter has little pills,,, your young and virile ,,,, If you do get a sleeper you would get a days worth of meals in the diner with it,,, so that too would provide a dietary break between the cooler and the café car,,,,

As with anything I enjoy Amtrak food,,, while others do not,,, I used to be forced once a week to eat in a Sushi Bar with my boss, she never figured out that all I did was consume Budweiser. The owner did figure it out and started making me a steak,, too each their own.

Make it an adventure,,, makes sure the kids have stuff to do because staring out the window at North Dakota and Montana is ten degrees below watching paint dry,,,,, there are outlets on the coach to plug in electronics but there is no wifi. I usually get a pretty good Verizon signal to Minot so if your phone can be a hotspot,,,, you know that better than I.

Many have said and I can only echo that the fun is in the journey. If you get behind schedule play a game with the kids and see if they can guess where they might make up time - just like we did in the car with one headlight (for the life if me I can't remember what they called that) Count the number of cows/ bridges - how fast are you going by counting telephone poles? If you can make it as fun for them as my folks did for my early rides, they will come to love the rails

kick back and enjoy

Yes, use amsnag.net, but if you are looking for two roomettes, be sure to check amtrak.com after finding possible cheap days. Often there is only one roomette available at the low price.

Also, if you do decide to travel on a day when there is one cheap roomette and one more expensive roomette, be sure you at least get the one cheap roomette. If you just tell amtrak.com that you want two roomettes, it will often quote the higher price for both roomettes.

To get the one cheap roomette, you will likely need to call Amtrak. Also, you will want to get roomettes across the hall from each other. Some agents say this cannot be done without paying a premium. If you get an agent who tells you that, ask for a supervisor.

Note that roomettes across the hall from each other will have an odd number and the next higher even number. (I had an agent tell me that rooms 4 and 5 are across from each other. They are not.) Also, be sure the roomettes are in the same car. (I had an agent try to sell me room 5 in one car and room 6 in another car.)

Probably two roomettes are cheaper than the family bedroom, but you will also want to check its price. Note that the family bedroom has two Amtrak-normal beds and two short beds. Before booking a family bedroom, you will want to ensure the short beds are long enough.

I agree with the others above about opting for roomettes if at all possible, and maybe just for a portion. We are talking about 45 hours and two nights here, and I think coach would be a bit "tedious" for all involved. I remember my first Empire Builder trip years ago in coach to Seattle from Columbus, WI. The first thing I did when I arrived in Seattle was to upgrade to a roomette for the return trip. We did take a trip from Chicago to New Orleans when our daughter was about 5....coach all the way, but that was only 19 hours. It is at least worth looking into some sort of sleeping arrangement. As mentioned, check amsnag and remember that almost always the earlier you book the less it will be. http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

Regarding your diet...as others have noted, Amtrak makes only minimal allowances for special diets and diner meals are expensive. However, there are outlets on the wall next to each pair of seats. If you have or can get one of those little coolers with a Peltier element you can keep your food cold for the entire trip. Be aware that you're sharing 15 amps with everyone else on your side of the train; the circuit isn't sized for every seat to have a blow dryer!

I'd agree with many others that the Amtrak experience will be far better if you can afford sleeper accommodations. In the future consider getting an Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card and funneling most of your purchases through it; doing that has vastly reduced or eliminated the premium I pay for a sleeper.

Similar questions were asked, and several good answers were provided in a recent thread called "3 Days of Food" on this forum. It was last active March 14. I suggest you refer to that.

I have often suggested inflatable pillows, available at a camping supply store. They deflate to a little package the size of a deck of cards.

Be sure to bring games and reading materials for yourself and the kids.

Counting cows: Two players, one on the right side and one on the left. Decide on a time or location to begin and end the game. Each player counts cows on his/her side. If you pass a cemetery on your side, all your cows die and you have to start again from zero. The winner is the one with the most cows on their side.

Watch for preserved Great Northern Railway steam locomotive 2584, on display near the depot at Havre, Montana.

Have a great trip.

Tom

(By the way, a car with one headlight is a Padiddle --- at least where I come from).

Great info so far. Thanks a ton!

Does anyone know how full or not the cars generally are along this route? Are there certain days they are more empty and certain they are more full? We dont' want to be in a full car if we can help it so the kids can move around more and explore easier. This will probably be in August.

Does anyone know how full or not the cars generally are along this route? Are there certain days they are more empty and certain they are more full? We dont' want to be in a full car if we can help it so the kids can move around more and explore easier. This will probably be in August.
I've done many Empire Builder trips and the coaches are always filled regardless of the days. It doesn't really matter as that shouldn't inhibit them moving around. Besides, you'll want to spend as much time as possible in the observation car. Summer is typically busy along this route especially with folks going to Glacier National Park and the oil field workers heading to and from the Williston, ND area.

In the summer you can count on the cars being pretty full. You will have to spend the night sitting/sleeping next to someone. Since there are four of you, at least you will be sitting next to someone you know.

In winter there is often more room.

If you enjoy camping (tent or backpacking) you will do just fine in coach, if do not or you need an RV to camp then strongly consider a sleeper. Pillows, stuff bags to improvise by filling with clothes, ear plugs, a light blanket are all good ideas.

Bring some stuff to occupy yours and the kids time. Books, a board game, cards, and crafts are all good ideas. Cell phone and internet access will be spotty west of Minneapolis, so don't depend on the I-pod. Plan on being social with others on the train (and as a parent plan on accepting that your kids will be social). There will be a lot of diverse characters on the train, relax and enjoy as it is actually quite safe (and Amtrak people work hard at that, and to keep their doing it not easily visible).

People are free to roam the train and do (and people around your seat do watch your stuff, as you do for theirs). The isle traffic is the most closest to the diner, and the least close to sleeper country. For kids the seats at the front of the car (and behind the stairs) have a little extra area space they can sprawl, and there is a little space behind the seats at the back of the car and the stairs. There is a little extra noise in those areas though. Try to score accordingly.

You might check into the possibility of arranging for curbside delivery of meals, some restaurants might just do this. (I suspect the Izzac Walton Inn in Essex MT would be happy to provide a boxed meal... though it would be late westbound and it is a flag stop). Some old-school florists provide errand services, you might be able to find one who would make a mid trip grocery run.

Does the Empire Builder make stops at specific places that would last long enough to have food delivered? I'm assuming none of the stops are long enough to actualyl run into town and buy food. Are certain stops longer because they restock supplies and things like that? I think it'd be awesome to meet the Papa Johns guy at the station and bring on food.

Does the Empire Builder make stops at specific places that would last long enough to have food delivered? I'm assuming none of the stops are long enough to actualyl run into town and buy food. Are certain stops longer because they restock supplies and things like that? I think it'd be awesome to meet the Papa Johns guy at the station and bring on food.
Not really, and for most of the full day that you will be on-board, there really isn't very much by way of food places that deliver anyway. The closest that might work out is to call ahead before getting on the train to a pizza place in Havre, MT or Shelby, MT to arrange delivery track-side on the platform, and I would ask for the manager before making the request, as they should be able to determine if it would be practical. These stops are scheduled as refueling and re-crewing points respectively, with the conductor and engineer changing at Shelby, and two stops for the westbound train at Havre, the first to fuel up the locomotives, the second to allow station work to proceed, which might include topping off the water in some of the cars. The phone number for Pizza Hut in Shelby is (406) 434-7111. Arrival is scheduled for 5:17 PM. I would highly suggest a generous tip and thank you note for the delivery person and manager if this works for you.

If you enjoy camping (tent or backpacking) you will do just fine in coach, if do not or you need an RV to camp then strongly consider a sleeper. Pillows, stuff bags to improvise by filling with clothes, ear plugs, a light blanket are all good ideas.
No offense, but to compare Amtrak coach seating to tent camping and backpacking is ridiculous. I've camped and backpacked all my life (used to work as an Outward Bound instructor), and sleeping warm and fully reclined in a peaceful, pristine wilderness setting does not compare to "sleeping" in a smelly, night noise filled, coach car.

So for the cities that have an Ar and Dp time, does that signify that the train will be in that station for a while? E.g. Shelby, MT says Ar 5:22, Dp 5:51 so it would be at that station for 30 minutes?
If the train is late, then crew members will make an effort to shorten the down time and the stop may be less than 30 minutes. The train, however, will not leave before 5:51 p.m.

So for the cities that have an Ar and Dp time, does that signify that the train will be in that station for a while? E.g. Shelby, MT says Ar 5:22, Dp 5:51 so it would be at that station for 30 minutes?
No, not Shelby. The previous stop, Havre arrives at 2:39pm and departs at 3:04pm. Just look for "Ar" and "Dp" in the schedule. These are approximate times, as mentioned in the above post from Mike. Just me, but I think trying to order food to go ahead is not that great an idea. Just so many variables to contend with.

One of the highlights for me on the EB could be turned into a highlight for you and your kids. And that's the 7+ mile-long Cascade Tunnel under Steven's pass WA. The history of train travel over and through there begins in the late 1800's with the original non-tunnel route over the top, the first tunnel and the second (current) tunnel. The Wellington landslide disaster... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington,_Washington ...is a big part of the story. But about all that can be seen from the train is the door and ventilation fan enclosure at the East portal if you look out the left side of the train. Here's what it looks like from the ground on the opposite (North) side:

That noise heard at the end of this video as the door is closing is from the two 600hp ventilation fans spooling up to blow the diesel smoke out the West end of the tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back