What's the current EB consist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
Discussion over there (Facebook) about where the diner is.

My memory may be faulty, but it seems to me that when I last rode (9/14), the Portland section (back to front) had my sleeper, two coaches and the SSL.

Then came the diner, and the Seattle section that I never visited.

However, now, I'm told that the diner is separated from the SSL by two more coaches in the Seattle section, with sleepers in front of the coaches. That configuration is what the "consist" listing here says.

I just don't remember walking through four coaches and the SSL to get to the diner.

Am I just losing my memory - a very real possibility in my dotage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Her is a video from a month ago, the diner is the one fourth from the baggage car, and the lounge has huge windows.

Edit

I was right the first time, fourth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love, LOVE, that video. Forgot about it when looking at what the current consist is.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Baggage

Sleeper

Sleeper

Coach

Diner

aaaannnd....

I can't tell!

...coach

Coach (end of Seattle section)

Lounge (begin Portland section)

Coach

Coach

Sleeper

However, now, I'm told that the diner is separated from the SSL by two more coaches in the Seattle section, with sleepers in front of the coaches. That configuration is what the "consist" listing here says.
TraneMan is correct. From time to time there might be some temporary different arrangement but engines, baggage, transition sleeper, Seattle sleeper, Seattle sleeper, dining car, coach, coach, SSL, coach, coach, Portland sleeper is the usual standard configuration and was when I last rode in August 2013. I be on number 7 to Seattle March 30 and that's the configuration I am expecting.

Back in the mid 90's the consist was different, with lounge and diner next to each other

TraneMan is correct. From time to time there might be some temporary different arrangement but engines, baggage, transition sleeper, Seattle sleeper, Seattle sleeper, dining car, coach, coach, SSL, coach, coach, Portland sleeper is the usual standard configuration and was when I last rode in August 2013. I be on number 7 to Seattle March 30 and that's the configuration I am expecting.
I last rode the Empire Builder on 2/21/2016 and the consist was as TraneMan provided. In fact every time in the last 16 years there has been 2 coaches in front of the SSL.

Interesting. Train 8 of Feb 18 and train 7 of Feb 27 each had one coach between the dining car and the sightseer lounge.

Winter reductions makes sense, but then why were there two Seattle coaches on Feb 21, as reported by RalphCT?

Winter reductions makes sense, but then why were there two Seattle coaches on Feb 21, as reported by RalphCT?
There could also have been shortages of equipment, I'm not really sure what the reason actually was, only suggesting possible reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back