Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

HSR RFP issued, but no money available

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

Let me get this straight. The FAST Act required the FRA to issue an RFP, but prohibited them from doing anything about it?

The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) earlier this month issued a request for proposals (RFP) for the financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance of a high-speed passenger-rail system operating within a high-speed rail corridor.

The catch? There's no federal funding available for such a system, as Congress prohibited in the Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act any federal agency from acting on any proposals submitted under the RFP without further action by Congress, according to an FRA notice filed March 11.

Still, the FAST Act required the U.S. transportation secretary to issue an RFP. Responses are due Aug. 31.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:27 PM

Let me get this straight. The FAST Act required the FRA to issue an RFP, but prohibited them from doing anything about it?

The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) earlier this month issued a request for proposals (RFP) for the financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance of a high-speed passenger-rail system operating within a high-speed rail corridor.

The catch? There's no federal funding available for such a system, as Congress prohibited in the Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act any federal agency from acting on any proposals submitted under the RFP without further action by Congress, according to an FRA notice filed March 11.

Still, the FAST Act required the U.S. transportation secretary to issue an RFP. Responses are due Aug. 31.

What the heck? This could only apply to the NEC as a High Speed Corridor. So the haters in Congress are messing with the funding from the RRIF loan that was to pay for the Acela IIs? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users