VIA Rail's Canadian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which pass again? They rerouted it to serve essential services communities along the CN route when the other transcontinental train was canceled on that route.

Which pass again? They rerouted it to serve essential services communities along the CN route when the other transcontinental train was canceled on that route.
The Canadian Mountain Passes, which include Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass.

I have never heart the term Canadian Mountain Passes as a proper name reference to Kicking Horse and Rogers Passes. Yellowhead Pass is as Canadian as the other two. They are all Canadian mountain passes.

There are a lot of political reasons it was re-routed, and it all boiled down to savings, as the 1990 retrenchment was a major downsize. One of the main ones was CN was still a government corporation at that time, and I think there were some savings to be had and it was easier. I think there were some personnel issues, too. They were still running with railroad operating crews (including conductors at that time), and I dimly recall that having something to do with it. CP was always privately owned.

Arguably the CN route was more remote, but the CP route had its share of remote, too. And I think it is telling that the Canadian is not funded as a remote service, unlike the Churchill train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heart the term Canadian Mountain Passes as a proper name reference to Kicking Horse and Rogers Passes. Yellowhead Pass is as Canadian as the other two. They are all Canadian mountain passes.

There are a lot of political reasons it was re-routed, and it all boiled down to savings, as the 1990 retrenchment was a major downsize. One of the main ones was CN was still a government corporation at that time, and I think there were some savings to be had and it was easier. I think there were some personnel issues, too. They were still running with railroad operating crews (including conductors at that time), and I dimly recall that having something to do with it. CP was always privately owned.

Arguably the CN route was more remote, but the CP route had its share of remote, too. And I think it is telling that the Canadian is not funded as a remote service, unlike the Churchill train.
I referred to them as Canadian Mountain Passes after one of the Train Simulator routes.

Well, most of us don't play the sim games enough to know that. Geographic terms would have been better.

I referred to them as Canadian Mountain Passes after one of the Train Simulator routes.
Well, nobody else does.

C'moc guys! Let's give him a break. He used a term that he is familiar with and some of us explained what the real railroad/geographical term is for the same thing. We don't have to bully him about that, do we?

If we expect to welcome the younger generation into our folds of rail enthusiasts we should be willing to understand where they are coming from and make at least minor accommodations.

C'moc guys! Let's give him a break. He used a term that he is familiar with and some of us explained what the real railroad/geographical term is for the same thing. We don't have to bully him about that, do we?

If we expect to welcome the younger generation into our folds of rail enthusiasts we should be willing to understand where they are coming from and make at least minor accommodations.
Tell me about it!

+1.

By the way, using the Park car on the Canadian is going to be restricted to Prestige Class passengers during the peak season from May to October. Other sleeper class passengers will be limited to the Skyline Cars.

Source? I don't recall hearing this elsewhere, and last year during peak season the park car was open to all.
Yes, I should have mentioned that! Reported on trainorders by a regular Canadian poster. It's also called the "Prestige Park Car" on the VIA website. To further clarify, there is SOME access to Sleeper Plus passengers, but the times are scheduled.

Source? I don't recall hearing this elsewhere, and last year during peak season the park car was open to all.
Now posted on VIAs web site;

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian/classes-and-trains-cars#plus

Click on 'Prestige Park car'

Important note: during peak season (May to October) access to this car is limited to scheduled times for Sleeper Plus passengers. Starting May 1st 2016, the Prestige Park car may be accessed during the evenings from 19h00 until last call (22h30), with the exceptions of evenings upon departure from Toronto and Vancouver. *Scheduled access times are subject to change.

It'S only restricted during peak season....but regular (sleeper plus) passengers still get to use the Park between 7pm and 10:30pm except on the evening of departure from Toronto and Vancouver. Regular sleeper passengers also have a Skyline Dome.

....and it makes sense to me. If I was paying $7000 for Prestige Class (with no discounts offered) I would want exclusive use too!

There's always the Ocean's Park Car......
And here it is......

IMG_1540.JPG

Just dropped off a co-worker's GF and their little fellow to take the Ocean to Campbellton this afternoon and talk about an excited kid!! But sadly, no Park Car ride for Austin.....Sleeper Plus passengers only!

Coast-to-Coast Amtrak is getting more appealing by the year in comparison to VIA, just with the constant price increases and service reductions from VIA.

Coast-to-Coast Amtrak is getting more appealing by the year in comparison to VIA, just with the constant price increases and service reductions from VIA.
Doesn't this apply to both Companies?
And the Canadian and the Ocean still have better equipment, excellent service and by far better food!

If you go in the Winter the Canadian is actually a great deal compared to Amtrak! And the new Liberal Government seems to be willing to better fund VIA than the Tories were, just the opposite of the situation with Amtrak! YMMV

Doesn't this apply to both Companies?
And the Canadian and the Ocean still have better equipment, excellent service and by far better food!

If you go in the Winter the Canadian is actually a great deal compared to Amtrak! And the new Liberal Government seems to be willing to better fund VIA than the Tories were, just the opposite of the situation with Amtrak! YMMV
With the new prices, it's not as much of a great deal for people on a somewhat tighter budget like me, especially with no off-peak prices - a cabin for one is nearly 1.7k USD when discounted now. Don't know what sale prices are like - is there still half off sales?

Amtrak's actually seemingly lowered prices from what I've seen - lower buckets seem easier to catch now. I can do cross-country if I'm careful for 800-1000 USD, though Amtrak does no sleeper sales as far as I know.

That 700 dollars goes far - I like to do stopovers - and that could be my hotel in Jasper or Kalispell.

I am going across Canada starting tomorrow(Vancouver-Toronto, since this site seems so fond of station codes, that is VCVR-TRTO, not VAC-TWO) in a roomette for about $930 USD between a 50% off (peak fare, unfortunately) and the good exchange rate. I couldn't get 4 nights on Amtrak cross-country for that, even at low bucket as far as I know, but if I could, I would have to be really lucky to get it.

The mattress is better, the food is much better, and the lounge space is much, much better. Yes, the peak seaon "list" prices are high, but with off season and sales, the Canadian can be quite reasonable.

No, I have never seen Amtrak do sleeper sales. Best you can do is look for a low bucket there.

Back