Farewell AEM7 Farewell Trip (June 2016)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaboard92

Engineer
Hey guys seeing I work in the rail excursion business I came up with an idea. But before I put in for it I want your opinions. As everyone knows the AEM7s are approaching retirement faster every day. So I would have to work fast to get it planned. But a farewell excursion to the venerable workhorse. So if everyone could voice their opinions on your thoughts.

1. Where do you think a charter should start New York, Washington, Boston, or Philly?

2. Where do you think the excursion should run to? Any of the above departure cities and Harrisburg included.

3. Would you like photo stops if Amtrak is willing to allow them? And if so where?

4. What would you be willing to pay for the charter. I think about 150 per person.

5. Would you like to have food service such as a cafe, or a diner. Or a lunch stop in one of the cities.

6. Would anyone be interested in a night photo shoot in Ivy City yard for day fifty dollars. With the AEM7 set up with other engines, and equipment. Maybe a GG1 if I could find one roadworthy enough to deadhead.

7. Would first class service sell in the Metroliner conference car or the 2-1 half cafe business class cars. And what sort of price would be fair?

8. What departure times would be fair game for you guys? I'm thinking 8 am on a weekend to not mess with commuter trains.

So the main question I have is there a market for this trip? Or should I not bother putting in for it on such short notice. And thank you so much for answering the questions. And I hope it works out

Ok, at least speaking to my personal preferences:
-Depending on what was on offer, etc., I'd happily pay $150. N.B. I am not "most people".

-I'd also happily pay for space in the Metroliner conference car or another not-Amcan-coach option. Depending on your reach, etc., both "upgrade classes" might well sell.

-I would want an on-board meal of some kind. A cafe is needed if the trip is more than about two hours and everyone is going end-to-end. Given the choice I'd want a diner; I'm cognizant of the costs involved.

-I think a round-trip charter based from either NYP or WAS makes the most sense. You might be able to sell one-way tickets that way. Another option would be WAS-PHL-HAR and back.

-I'd be tentatively interested in the photo shoots, but those aren't a deal-maker/deal-breaker for me.

-When planning times, make sure that folks can get into wherever on the first departures from the other (relevant) parts of the NEC (e.g. if leaving WAS, not before you could guarantee a connection from the Nite Owl, if leaving NYP not before you could guarantee a connection from the "matching pair"). If originating in WAS I'd like it to be late enough to get into WAS on the first non-Meteor train from RVR (e.g. I'd book in on the Meteor but have the 0635 as a fallback).

A guess would say that you are way to late to start planning such a trip.

1. NEC..

2. NEC..

3. Good luck trying to get that... They didn't make photo stops on the Autumn Express Trains.

4. Fair price

5. Bagged lunch like on the Autumn Express

6. Sure, but I've heard that Ivy City isn't really the best hood..

7. No

8. 9am

But as I mentioned I think you're to far behind the ball.

Thank you for fixing the topic title. And Anderson you brought up a point I didn't think about. And that is to time it with other trains. Thank you for that.

I think I'm too late to the party but it's worth a shot. I strongly suspect it will be a no. And even if approved would be a pain to market and sell it. But based on the proposed schedule I came up with for the proposal I managed connections for Anderson 98 and 164, as well as 97, and 87 home for him.

Perhaps you see if can run a charter on National Train Day. That will give them a little more time. Just because the AEM-7s are retired doesn't mean all of them are decommissioned.

Hey guys seeing I work in the rail excursion business I came up with an idea. But before I put in for it I want your opinions. As everyone knows the AEM7s are approaching retirement faster every day. So I would have to work fast to get it planned. But a farewell excursion to the venerable workhorse. So if everyone could voice their opinions on your thoughts.

1. Where do you think a charter should start New York, Washington, Boston, or Philly?
Philly. Amtrak has more spare platforms at Philly than anywhere else.

2. Where do you think the excursion should run to? Any of the above departure cities and Harrisburg included.
Whereever Amtrak thinks there is room, but I'd bet Harrisburg would be the easiest, since the line carries a lot less traffic than the NEC.

So the main question I have is there a market for this trip? Or should I not bother putting in for it on such short notice. And thank you so much for answering the questions. And I hope it works out
I wouldn't take the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about "rare aem7 milage like anywhere on Septa, not on the Nec or keystone, the NJT North Jersey Coast Line as far as Bay Head or the ex-Lackawanna electric lines of the AEM7s can accomidate the voltage differences.

The NJCL is only electrified to Long Branch. It is too bad the Amboy Secondary or the Trenton Cutoff aren't still electrified. That would be a heck of a journey.

Although unrelated to the OP

something_is_afoot.jpg

:ph34r:

The one time you geniuses should have listened, you didn't. Ahhh buffs!

https://www.amtrak.com/farewell-to-the-aem7-excursion-train

Saturday June 18, 2016

Farewell to the AEM-7 Excursion Train Since 1980, the iconic AEM-7 electric locomotives have distinguished themselves carrying passengers between Washington, Philadelphia, New York, New Haven, Boston, Harrisburg and everywhere in between. Together with the introduction and growth of Acela Express, they have built on the legacies of the Pennsylvania and New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroads as the Northeast Corridor has expanded into the 21st century as a first-class passenger railroad.

Now, after 37 years and over 220 million miles of service, they are being replaced by the new, advanced next-generation Siemens Cities Sprinter locomotives. It is time to give a proper sendoff to true workhorses of America's Passenger Railroad.

On Saturday, June 18, 2016, Amtrak will salute these remarkable machines with a special Farewell to the AEM-7 Excursion. Be sure to join us and be part of a celebration of railroad history.

The Trip

The special train will depart from Washington - Union Station, DC at 9:10 am, and operate north on the Northeast Corridor passing through Baltimore, Wilmington, and other intermediate cities to Philadelphia. (There will be no intermediate passenger station stops. An en route photo opportunity** is planned.)

In Philadelphia, the train will be turned on the wye trackage near the Philadelphia Zoo, including the "New York & Pittsburgh Subway" and other connecting trackage in the Philadelphia terminal area not normally used by passenger trains.

Passengers will then have the opportunity to detrain for a brief walking tour** of the shop facility that was so integral to the successful service of the AEM-7s and other electric locomotives dating back to the days of the legendary Pennsylvania Railroad. There will be photo opportunities with a variety of equipment during the stopover.

At 3:45 pm, passengers will re-board the excursion train for the return trip south to Washington, DC. Arrival is scheduled for 5:40 pm.

Boarding Instructions

Arrive at least 45 minutes prior to departure to fill out waivers. Liquor is not allowed onboard.

The Special Train

The train is planned to consist of two AEM-7 locomotives, seven Amfleet-I coaches and two Amfleet-I food service cars. Besides the included box lunches, snack items will be available for purchase onboard.

Tickets

Ticket price is $155 per adult, half-fare for children. Employee passes and other discount tickets are not valid on this train. Tickets are expected to go on sale on May 2, 2016.

Ticket includes round-trip transportation on the excursion train from/to Washington; box lunch and souvenir lapel pin; **photo opportunities ; **walking tour of Wilmington Shop.

** Due to the unique access to railroad property not normally open to the public, participants must complete and sign this Entry on Property Release of Claim Form , and must wear proper footwear: e.g., no open-toed shoes, high heels, sandals, flip-flops, etc. Release form must be printed, signed and presented at train side.

How to Book this Trip

From the 'Buy Tickets' tab:
1.Select One-Way.
2.Enter Washington, DC - Union Station (WAS) in the From box.
3.Enter AEM-7 Excursion Train, DC (AEM) in the To box.
4.Select June 18, 2016 as the Depart date.
5.Select the number of Adult or Child passengers. Maximum of 8.

Passengers with disabilities should call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) to book this trip.

Terms & Conditions
Tickets are non-refundable.
Valid for sale May 2 - June 17, 2015.
Valid for travel on June 18, 2016 only.
Valid between Washington, DC - Union Station (WAS) and AEM-7 Excursion Train, DC (AEM).
Flat price of $155 for adults and includes a boxed lunch and a souvenir label pin.
Up to two (2) children ages 2 - 12 may accompany each adult at half the adult fare.
Children and infants must travel with an adult who is at least 18 years or older.
Special excursion trains are eligible to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points, but not available for redemption travel.
Not combinable with any other discount offer or passenger type.

Where did everything from today go?

Edit: turns out there are two threads talking about this...

The one time you geniuses should have listened, you didn't. Ahhh buffs!

https://www.amtrak.com/farewell-to-the-aem7-excursion-train

Saturday June 18, 2016

Farewell to the AEM-7 Excursion Train Since 1980, the iconic AEM-7 electric locomotives have distinguished themselves carrying passengers between Washington, Philadelphia, New York, New Haven, Boston, Harrisburg and everywhere in between. Together with the introduction and growth of Acela Express, they have built on the legacies of the Pennsylvania and New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroads as the Northeast Corridor has expanded into the 21st century as a first-class passenger railroad.

Now, after 37 years and over 220 million miles of service, they are being replaced by the new, advanced next-generation Siemens Cities Sprinter locomotives. It is time to give a proper sendoff to true workhorses of America's Passenger Railroad.

On Saturday, June 18, 2016, Amtrak will salute these remarkable machines with a special Farewell to the AEM-7 Excursion. Be sure to join us and be part of a celebration of railroad history.

The Trip

The special train will depart from Washington - Union Station, DC at 9:10 am, and operate north on the Northeast Corridor passing through Baltimore, Wilmington, and other intermediate cities to Philadelphia. (There will be no intermediate passenger station stops. An en route photo opportunity** is planned.)

In Philadelphia, the train will be turned on the wye trackage near the Philadelphia Zoo, including the "New York & Pittsburgh Subway" and other connecting trackage in the Philadelphia terminal area not normally used by passenger trains.

Passengers will then have the opportunity to detrain for a brief walking tour** of the shop facility that was so integral to the successful service of the AEM-7s and other electric locomotives dating back to the days of the legendary Pennsylvania Railroad. There will be photo opportunities with a variety of equipment during the stopover.

At 3:45 pm, passengers will re-board the excursion train for the return trip south to Washington, DC. Arrival is scheduled for 5:40 pm.

Boarding Instructions

Arrive at least 45 minutes prior to departure to fill out waivers. Liquor is not allowed onboard.

The Special Train

The train is planned to consist of two AEM-7 locomotives, seven Amfleet-I coaches and two Amfleet-I food service cars. Besides the included box lunches, snack items will be available for purchase onboard.

Tickets

Ticket price is $155 per adult, half-fare for children. Employee passes and other discount tickets are not valid on this train. Tickets are expected to go on sale on May 2, 2016.

Ticket includes round-trip transportation on the excursion train from/to Washington; box lunch and souvenir lapel pin; **photo opportunities ; **walking tour of Wilmington Shop.

** Due to the unique access to railroad property not normally open to the public, participants must complete and sign this Entry on Property Release of Claim Form , and must wear proper footwear: e.g., no open-toed shoes, high heels, sandals, flip-flops, etc. Release form must be printed, signed and presented at train side.

How to Book this Trip

From the 'Buy Tickets' tab:

1.Select One-Way.

2.Enter Washington, DC - Union Station (WAS) in the From box.

3.Enter AEM-7 Excursion Train, DC (AEM) in the To box.

4.Select June 18, 2016 as the Depart date.

5.Select the number of Adult or Child passengers. Maximum of 8.

Passengers with disabilities should call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) to book this trip.

Terms & Conditions

Tickets are non-refundable.

Valid for sale May 2 - June 17, 2015.

Valid for travel on June 18, 2016 only.

Valid between Washington, DC - Union Station (WAS) and AEM-7 Excursion Train, DC (AEM).

Flat price of $155 for adults and includes a boxed lunch and a souvenir label pin.

Up to two (2) children ages 2 - 12 may accompany each adult at half the adult fare.

Children and infants must travel with an adult who is at least 18 years or older.

Special excursion trains are eligible to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points, but not available for redemption travel.

Not combinable with any other discount offer or passenger type.
Sorry guys. Tickets are no longer available. Ticket sales closed June 17, 2015. :giggle:

Edit: Someone on FB caught that, not me.

For those of you planning to ride the special, this is some of what you can expect. Photo opportunity at the Halethorpe, MD station. You will be able to detrain and position yourself on either of the long platforms or overhead walkway for video or still photography. Please, stay behind the yellow stripe. The special will reverse out of the station, clear the interlocking and then return into the station for boarding.

Train will operate under the jump-over at Bellevue, DE rather than the normal route of over the jump-over. At Philadelphia, it’s around the wye via the NY&P Subway.

At Wilmington, you’ll have your shop tour. Outside, featured locomotives on display are planned to be an AEM7, HHP8, P42 in Heritage paint scheme, 80 tonner 1100, ACS64 642 and P42 42. Now here’s the disclaimer, a lot can happen between now and June 18. Availability of the 642, 42 and Heritage P42 are all contingent on operating conditions and requirements near June 18.

One last reminder, don’t forget the waiver and this information is correct at time of this broadcast.
More info about excursion specifics.

Back