Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Trump and Amtrak/Budget cutting funding

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,178 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

And it should also be remembered that there are many cities which did not have service on A-Day got service. and some then  lost it. Sunset East, Pioneer and Desert Wind are case in point. OTOH Lake Shore Limited was added after A-Day. So there has been ebbs and flows in the history of Amtrak. But make no mistake - Amtrak is a creation and creature of Congress and it lives and dies by what Congress does with it. People who think that an Amtrak CEO can brazenly defy Congress (and even just powerful chairmen in Congress) and go his own way are living in a fool's paradise.

#42 Big Iron

Big Iron

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

I will cast my vote for our own Bob Dylan. He knows how to deal with the DC bureaucrats, and as one former Presidential candidate from Alabama said long ago, Dylan would " dump their briefcases in the Potomac!" LOL.

I'm reserving my vote for Mr. Hud....er Jim....uh Bob Dylan until I know who his running mate will be!!!  :)   

The list of AU'ers would be long and illustrious.  

Trains Ridden: Broadway Limited (3), Capitol Limited (10), Cardinal (James Whitcomb Riley) (4) , Lake Shore Ltd. (4), Silver Star (5), Night Owl (3), Montrealer (2), Illinois Zephyr (10), Palmetto (2)

#43 Radvlad

Radvlad

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

How the heck can Las Vegas not support service from Amtrak? Even if it was just Los Angeles/San Francisco to Vegas? I'm also surprised that Phoenix couldn't hang on to service. Wow.

#44 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:08 PM

Let's keep this focused on what we think is or will be Donald Trump's position on Amtrak.  In that regard, discussion of the comparative Amtrak positions of other candidates of both parties is fine. To discuss issues like Phoenix and Las Vegas service, please start a new topic.

#45 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

I'm suspending my campaign, and hereby announce that, if Trump is nominated and elected, Everything, including Amtrak, will be HUGE!!!

( and someone else will pay for it!😕)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 22 February 2016 - 07:12 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#46 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

Bob- I am writing you in, anyway.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#47 sldispatcher

sldispatcher

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

As others have stated, I would think Amtrak could actually get a boost from Trump.  Not sure about the LD trains, but the day trains could really get a pop.

#48 NW cannonball

NW cannonball

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Interests:People and places
    Justice
    Transport economics
    Techie stuff
    Grandchildren

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:23 AM

I don't have a clue what the big D might do, or not. The best info I got is, from some source or other, that The Donald was into sponsoring Pro Wrestling a while back.

His candidacy  so  so far seems like the stuff that "pro wrestlers" spout from the ring before their (fixed) bouts happen. Duh.

I doubt that this dude with his own private Boeing jet has any clue at all about Amtrak users, he's targeting a different demographic now.

Maybe, if elected, he might choose to sponsor "Trumptrak" or not. Who knows?

Trains experienced:

AMTRAK - Empire Builder, SW Chief, Coast Starlight, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Capital Limited, NER, Silver Star, Pacific Surfliner, Cascades.

Great Northern - Winnipegger, Red River, Empire Builder.

NYC - Pacemaker

Commuter lines - NM RailRunner, Metra, Northstar

outside USA - NS, DB, ÖBB, JR (Tokaido & Sanyo shinkansen, JRE (Tokyo area), JR Shikoku

#49 andersone

andersone

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Riding the Rails, Gardening

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:26 AM

Well from an Ohio perspective if we relecTED  (Ted Strickland ) to the senate the former congressman and governor actually started down the 3C path until he was replaced by Kasich who deep sixed it. That should give inspiration for two elections !!!

Edited by andersone, 23 February 2016 - 06:27 AM.

The California Zephyr  The Cardinal The Capital Limited  The City of New Orleans

The Empire Builder The Lake Shore Limited   The Texas Eagle 

#50 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:06 AM

As others have stated, I would think Amtrak could actually get a boost from Trump.  Not sure about the LD trains, but the day trains could really get a pop.

Not even Trump himself has stated he would boost Amtrak.  Trump has simply claimed, in the most simplistic terms possible, that he would fix all of Americas infrastructure problems with no explanation as to how any of his "plans" would actually work or why the establishment wing of either party would capitulate to his demands.  What other people have tried to say, and you have apparently ignored, is that Trump is no position to control Amtrak's purse strings regardless of his largely undefined position.  In order to have any direct control over Amtrak's future Trump would have to threaten a veto over lack of Amtrak funding.  Which is a position that would likely incur a serious opportunity cost and force the expenditure of substantial political capital.  This seems unlikely to me considering all the other controversies Trump has created or bought into.  I think it's virtually guaranteed that the NEC will remain intact in some form regardless of who is elected, but the likelihood that Trump (or any other GOTP candidate) supports having Amtrak run it seems exceedingly unlikely to me.  It seems far more likely to me that Trump's "solution" will be to privatize Amtrak as part of a giveaway to one or more of his fellow cronies, just like Putin or Burlesconi would.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 23 February 2016 - 07:57 AM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#51 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

And it should also be remembered that there are many cities which did not have service on A-Day got service. and some then  lost it. Sunset East, Pioneer and Desert Wind are case in point. OTOH Lake Shore Limited was added after A-Day. So there has been ebbs and flows in the history of Amtrak. But make no mistake - Amtrak is a creation and creature of Congress and it lives and dies by what Congress does with it. People who think that an Amtrak CEO can brazenly defy Congress (and even just powerful chairmen in Congress) and go his own way are living in a fool's paradise.

Maybe not brazenly defy, but having a guy who knows how to press all the right buttons definietly helps.

Utlimately, nobody likes to cut funding for a service that is popular and has deep rooted support. It's much easier to cut funding for something that most people are disillusioned with. So ultimately Amtrak's performance and perception are key to its survival, maybe more so than its balance sheet. Cue issues with food service here.

Edited by cirdan, 23 February 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#52 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

I'm suspending my campaign, and hereby announce that, if Trump is nominated and elected, Everything, including Amtrak, will be HUGE!!!

( and someone else will pay for it!)

you mean Mexico is going to pay for the daily Sunset Limited?  :)

#53 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:33 AM

Now that our own Bob D. has suspended his campaign, I do have a serious question about another possibility:

What do you all think of Michael Bloomberg in regard to passenger rail? (Not his chances to win the election, rather what his position might be on passenger rail itself if he did run and win.)

I was impressed when he was mayor of New York that he always strongly encouraged people to take commuter rail instead of their cars when it was bad weather or to a large sporting event, but of course that was local transportation.

Not sure if he would be pro- or anti- long-distance trains, NEC-centric or for the good of the whole country, pro-Amtrak or pro-private rail...anyone have any ideas?

Also, if he decides not to run for president, what about a spot on Amtrak's board for him? (I know he probably couldn't be president of Amtrak if he doesn't have the railroad knowledge necessary for that, but the board could be a possibility?)

#54 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

What do you all think of Michael Bloomberg in regard to passenger rail?

Unlike the blond bobblehead who headlines this bobblethread, Micheal Bloomberg has been very clear and concise on his long term support for mass transit infrastructure. In many ways a Bloomberg presidency would likely resemble the current Obama/Biden position of the past eight years. My expectation is that Bloomberg would recommend major funding increases for implementation of substantial capitol improvements followed by taking what he can get on the operational end with a potential veto threat for baseline service impacting reductions.

http://www.marketwat...ress-2015-05-19

-CRW

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 23 February 2016 - 08:59 AM.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#55 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:34 AM

I would concur with DA's assessment of Bloomberg. In many ways his administration was more progressive on transportation matters (particularly with regards to street design) than his successor has been.

#56 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

The only hope with him is the fact that he's from NYC where trains are a way of life.  Without trains, NYC would probably come to a grinding halt.

I would tend to agree.

While Trump is an unpredictable wild card on this issue, I can envision him re-building Penn Station. OK, it would be called Trump Station, and have a marble and gold ClubAcela ClubTrump.

A new Trump Station would need an expanded Amtrak presents.

Fixed!

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#57 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:16 PM

I have no particular notion of what the Donald might do on Amtrak. I have never been a fan of his, but I do respect his marketing skills. Over on YouTube I count at least five different videos for the "Trump Train", so it would appear he's trying to attract the train lovers' vote.

#58 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

The Trump Train is Leaving the Station! All Aboard!! ( check your Brain before boarding!)
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#59 Caesar La Rock

Caesar La Rock

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hate to bring this old post back, but here is some recent news on trains and Trump.

http://time.com/4247...infrastructure/

Edited by Caesar La Rock, 04 March 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#60 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

Trump may be saying things we like to hear but with a man who takes both sides of so many issues it's virtually impossible to know what he really means.  Sometimes Trumps says whatever he thinks we want to hear and other times he just blurts out whatever pops into his head, but he never bothers to explain how he came to his conclusions or how he would accomplish his goals or why he changed his mind or why the establishment would go along with it.  Even if Trump means every word of his support for Amtrak I still would never be willing to support a fascist bully in exchange for improved passenger rail.  In fact it's kind of insulting to even have to say that.  If a moderator is considering removing or hiding my post because it has crossed some sort of line of decency or decorum I would implore that person to watch any of the recent debates featuring Trump and tell me I'm exaggerating or misrepresenting anything I have said in the slightest.  We are all entitled to our own opinions but we are not entitled to our own facts.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 04 March 2016 - 03:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users