Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Trump and Amtrak/Budget cutting funding

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#521 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

Welp, Donald Trump has now cut the funds for the Gateway Project and many other upgrades for the Northeast Corridor! What is the matter with him?!

Source please?  Because the President doesn't have that authority, and his proposed budget was DOA in Congress.  

A quick check of the day's news revealed this article ($900 million slated for Gateway, if approved):

http://www.northjers...trak/467350001/

Here you are.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.3298435

The DOT has withdrawn from the corporation overseeing the Gateway project; That doesn't mean that funding has been eliminated (nor yet approved).  Granted, the Trump administration is not seeking to endorse many agreements and obligations made by his predecessor, and there is no doubt much political horse trading yet to come, but it is simply not true that "Trump has now cut the funds for the Gateway Project"  

A DOT spokesman elaborated in a statement that the federal agency decided to leave the corporation “as a procedural matter to avoid potential conflicts” and to ensure “there is no appearance of prejudice or partiality in favor of these projects ahead of hundreds of other projects nationwide.” It is not indicative of the federal government’s support of the project, the spokesman said.

“The decision to resign from the Board should not be misinterpreted as any form of decision about the multiple individual projects promoted by the Gateway Development Corporation,” the DOT spokesman said.

#522 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:39 PM

The DOT has withdrawn from the corporation overseeing the Gateway project; That doesn't mean that funding has been eliminated (nor yet approved).  Granted, the Trump administration is not seeking to endorse many agreements and obligations made by his predecessor, and there is no doubt much political horse trading yet to come, but it is simply not true that "Trump has now cut the funds for the Gateway Project" 

Yes, Much.

horse-trading.png

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#523 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

For a short time in the 1990s, the Federal Government allocated transit agencies to do a lease-lease back financial arrangement to lease their long term new equipment (passenger cars) to there organizations who paid BIG money to utilize the depreciation tax write-off. The Feds stopped it because they started loosing too much tax revenue. 

A new version of this lease-lease back law could be enacted to help finance around 50-65 percent of new passenger cars and still not have the Feds "loose too much tax revenue". Amtrak could then use other financing to pay for the remaining costs. Bridges also have a long enough lifespan and a large enough cost for a lease-lease back depreciation write-off.

This type of financial arrangement would probably be received well by the current administration because it would get private capital funds to pay for new infrastructure.

#524 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

For a short time in the 1990s, the Federal Government allocated transit agencies to do a lease-lease back financial arrangement to lease their long term new equipment (passenger cars) to there organizations who paid BIG money to utilize the depreciation tax write-off. The Feds stopped it because they started loosing too much tax revenue. 

A new version of this lease-lease back law could be enacted to help finance around 50-65 percent of new passenger cars and still not have the Feds "loose too much tax revenue". Amtrak could then use other financing to pay for the remaining costs. Bridges also have a long enough lifespan and a large enough cost for a lease-lease back depreciation write-off.

This type of financial arrangement would probably be received well by the current administration because it would get private capital funds to pay for new infrastructure.

Like this??

Full-train-McDonald.jpg

I've ridden: ~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~
Books: ~ Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

#525 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

End of the Empire? Amtrak's 15 long-distance rail lines face elimination

http://lacrossetribu...b8bd280a8a.html

President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget would reduce Amtrak’s funding from $1.5 billion to $760 million, part of a larger package of cuts that trims $2.4 billion from federal transportation in all. That would end all of Amtrak’s long-distance routes — 15 of them — including the Empire Builder, which stretches 2,200 miles from Chicago to Seattle with Wisconsin stops in Milwaukee, Columbus, Portage, Wisconsin Dells, Tomah and La Crosse.

It's a long article, so go and read it for yourself...

Moderator Note:  edited to reduce content of quote to comply with copyright rules.

Edited by pennyk, 06 August 2017 - 12:50 PM.
copyright issues

#526 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget would reduce Amtrak’s funding from $1.5 billion to $760 million, part of a larger package of cuts that trims $2.4 billion from federal transportation in all. That would end all of Amtrak’s long-distance routes — 15 of them — including the Empire Builder, which stretches 2,200 miles from Chicago to Seattle with Wisconsin stops in Milwaukee, Columbus, Portage, Wisconsin Dells, Tomah and La Crosse.

Moderator Note:  edited to reduce content of quote to comply with copyright rules.

Re-hash (to make local) of not-so-recent news. 

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#527 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Like this??

Full-train-McDonald.jpg

An interesting possible direction for Amtrak's café cars.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#528 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:01 PM

Like this??

Full-train-McDonald.jpg

An interesting possible direction for Amtrak's café cars.

As long as the "wrap" doesn't cover the windows and obscure the view!

Actually, this (second) round of save Amtrak long distance has been going on for what, two months now? Mid-June saw the "Rally for Trains.

We've been seeing many articles which are localized (which is fine) versions of the main story from a couple months ago. Drive the story home to rally the population! 

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#529 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,192 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

Yup old story being rehashed and getting stale specially now that both House and Senate appropriations folks have spoken.

#530 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

Yup old story being rehashed and getting stale specially now that both House and Senate appropriations folks have spoken.
I agree; it is extremely unlikely the Empire Builder will be discontinued. However, it's still good for the story to spread so more supporters can be gained.
Routes Travelled: CL WAS-CHI, Card. CHI-WAS, Caro. CLT-RGH, CS SJC-LAX, Cre. BAL-ATL, EB MSP-CHI, ES NYG/NYP-NFL, LSL BOS-ALB, ML ALB-NYP, NER FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, PS LAX-ANA, Pen. NYP-PGH, Pie. RGH-DNC, SM ORL-NYP, SS FTL-WAS
New Routes: LSL NYP-CHI, CZ CHI-RIC, CS SJC-SEA, EB SEA-MSP

#531 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:30 AM

How is spreading overblown debunked stories different than fear mongering?
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#532 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,192 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

The consequences of endlessly crying wolf comes to mind.... People just tune out after a while and become desensitized, and come next time they just have a tendency to say "Meh". Be careful not to lose the trust of those that you need. Very important to be factually accurate to maintain trust.

#533 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,568 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Precisely. We’ve already seen a fair bit of that this time around.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#534 Poindexter118

Poindexter118

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

I was relieved to see Amtrak was taken off the chopping block.  I have written my senator, and said I was worried that long distance trains could be taken away.  In my letter, I said we need a balanced transit system.  A few weeks ago, I also wrote a letter to President Trump asking him to reconsider gutting Amtrak.  I haven't heard back, but I'm assuming with thousands of people calling, writing, or Emailing, that maybe the message may have gotten through.  

MODERATOR NOTE:  A new topic, which was created by OP entitled "saved again," was merged into this existing thread on the same topic.

Edited by pennyk, 08 September 2017 - 04:58 AM.

#535 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

Well, this is a replay of something that has been happening more years than not since Amtrak started in 1971.  I don't want to sound dismissive, and I, too, have made letters and calls.  But Amtrak long distance service has been a target since I can remember.  Bush zeroed out the budget, too, for instance.  But I was far from panicked about it, and the result was actually better than I thought, so far not even major cutbacks.

The dance continues as it has for decades.  Amtrak gets enough to survive, but never enough to thrive.

Silver lining:  John Mica (R-FL) is gone!

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#536 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

I don't think any message got through to anyone. The truth is, at this moment, real problems are publically obvious, such as Harvey, Irma, and FEMA running out of funds. This they have real fights to distract the public from the hidden underlying ones like our collapsing infrastructure and unsustainably low taxes.

When those go back to being the issues of concern, the old punching bags will be dragged out again, and the teapot tempest machine will be switched on once again.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#537 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

At least the diners don't have Mica around to punch them anymore.  :P

Edited by zephyr17, 08 September 2017 - 05:51 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#538 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:03 AM

In the last few days, a specific, grandstanding attempt to kill all Amtrak funding in the House was defeated 293-128.  Attempts to remove Gateway funding were defeated 260-159.  Essentially unanimous Democratic support for Amtrak and about 1/3 of the Republicans, with additional Republican support if it didn't mean supporting the Northeast Corridor.  :sigh:

This is actually better than in previous decades when the votes were tighter.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users