• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#461 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:36 AM

An interesting graphic which compares side-by-side, before and after.

"A visualization shows hundreds of cities that would lose long-distance trains under the president’s proposed budget."

https://www.citylab....utm_source=feed

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

6489 more miles booked

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#462 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:51 PM

I suppose this should go under the Budget thread, but these two paragraphs are key:

How likely is it Congress will embrace the White House’s vision when it receives its more-detailed budget (which typically happens in mid-May)? Since the railroad association put out its alert it has witnessed a “huge public outpouring,” with thousands of its members calling their elected representatives, says Sean Jeans-Gail, vice president of government affairs and policy. “We can verify Congress is hearing this outcry, and they’re taking notice. We’ve seen a shift among Republicans from guarded, noncommittal statements to guarded statements that emphasize that Congress has the power of the purse. That’s progress.”

Trump-leaning politicians might want to listen to these voices, as many of them are coming from the rural denizens that fed the president’s rise to power. “The majority of passengers on these trains aren’t using them to go from big city to big city,” says Jim Mathews, the railroad association’s president and CEO. “They’re small-town Americans who don’t have a lot of transportation alternatives. The ridership figures on these trains are lower because the towns they serve are smaller. If you live in McGregor, Texas, and you’re trying to get to Fort Worth for business or a medical procedure, the [Texas] Eagle is as important to you as the Northeast Corridor is to a New Yorker—probably more important, since Temple doesn’t have access to a LaGuardia or JFK.”

Some of the off corridor trains are just as important to their riders as the NEC is to the passengers they serve. Hopefully, the message is delivered.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#463 Poindexter118

Poindexter118

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

I wrote a letter to President Trump asking him to reconsider cutting Amtrak funding.  I haven't heard back from him, but I'm sure I'm not alone in requesting to keep Amtrak with a good budget.  

I also wrote a letter to our Senator in California asking her to vote against the budget concerning Amtrak.  

#464 Crescent ATN & TCL

Crescent ATN & TCL

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:10 AM

According to Amtrak reports they are only off by 6% from the break even point, surely if push comes to shove 6% could be temporarily made up for in one way or another.... 6% "making America great" surcharge on all tickets with a message about making small sacrifices to bigly support the most tremendous yuge president....

#465 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

I wrote a letter to President Trump asking him to reconsider cutting Amtrak funding.  I haven't heard back from him, but I'm sure I'm not alone in requesting to keep Amtrak with a good budget.  

I also wrote a letter to our Senator in California asking her to vote against the budget concerning Amtrak.  

Good for you, man!

#466 siena1965

siena1965

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 PM

i don't think trumps budgets  cuts for Amtrak is going to make America great again. i hope he does not get away with this.

#467 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted Today, 08:04 AM

I wish there was a way to subsidize Amtrak's long-haul trains that didn't involve the general fund. I'd support a few cents increase in gasoline taxes dedicated for that purpose. Unfortunately, there's little political motivation for increasing any taxes right now. Trump, wants to cut taxes, at least for some people. I'd like to see a radical change in what the US taxes, moving generally from taxing productivity to taxing consumption, even though this would hurt me personally.  I believe it's the only way we can start manufacturing stuff here in America again.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users