Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Trump and Amtrak/Budget cutting funding

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#21 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:39 PM

What's with this idea of gold in Trump Station? He never NEVER uses gold in his buildings. It's all sort of gold-colored, well-polished bronze. Loud, flashy, phony, and cheap … just like himself.

#22 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

What's with this idea of gold in Trump Station? He never NEVER uses gold in his buildings. It's all sort of gold-colored, well-polished bronze. Loud, flashy, phony, and cheap … just like himself.

Dear goodness we need a like button for this thread.   ^_^

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#23 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:52 PM

I thought this Trump building had gold coated glass?

https://imagesus-ssl...eae6828ef2.1.10

Potential prototype for a Trump Station's ClubAcela.

http://i.dailymail.c...46653257605.jpg
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#24 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

IMHO,"like" buttons are simply ego-strokers unless accompanied by "ho-hum" and "sux" buttons.

Edited by niemi24s, 22 February 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#25 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

IMHO, like buttons are simply ego-strokers unless accompanied by "ho-hum" and "sux" buttons.

The more the merrier!

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#26 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

IMHO,"like" buttons are simply ego-strokers unless accompanied by "ho-hum" and "sux" buttons.

Like buttons can keep a thread from getting bloated with short posts saying "This", "I agree", etc.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#27 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,452 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

^^^ What she said.

The functionality is there, just needs to be turned on.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#28 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

I thought this Trump building had gold coated glass?

https://imagesus-ssl...eae6828ef2.1.10

You're right. I only know some of his NYC buildings and hadn't paid attention to this one in Vegas. But yes:

Trump International Hotel and Tower Las Vegas shines with Viracon's 24-karat gold-coated glass. The company applied an optically thin layer of gold to the second surface of insulating glass units enclosing the 45-story tower. Selected not only for dramatic aesthetics, the highly reflective coating lowers heat absorption. ...

Glass Magazine, 2008

#29 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Does this mean the White House could become the Gold House?  :o

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#30 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

I would guess Trump would occupy a middle ground between a couple of candidates who are perhaps likely to propose budgets that would increase Amtrak funding and a couple of candidates who are perhaps likely to propose budgets that would decrease Amtrak funding (just looking at the Top 5 candidates, 2 Ds, 3 Rs). Or maybe it would be better to say he is a big question mark - perhaps increase, perhaps decrease, perhaps status quo, in regards to Amtrak funding.

#31 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,760 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Remember that the President only proposes numbers, which are typically mostly ignored by Congress. It is Congress that comes up with the numbers that actually become law.

#32 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Remember that the President only proposes numbers, which are typically mostly ignored by Congress. It is Congress that comes up with the numbers that actually become law.

^^This.

Remember if you really want to support Amtrak in your voting, pick your congressional representatives that support Amtrak. (I probably could say, "if you really wanted to change government...)

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#33 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Historical and Genealogical research, Travel, Model Railroading. Lions Club & Anything Dealing With Trains

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

And therefore: ask your Congressional Rep how he/she stands on Amtrak and vote accordingly. (of course, where I live, there is only one party running for the seat in the House), but an Ohio Democrat for Senate who will support trains. 
Ask the questions and see what they say!

Amtrak Trains Ridden So Far:
Lake Shore Ltd, Capitol Ltd, Pennsylvanian, NE Corridors, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Hoosier, SW Chief, Surfliners, California Capitol Corridors, Coast Starlight, Cascades. Texas Eagle, San Joaquins, Missouri River Runner,Cardinal, Downeaster, Silver Meteor, Keystones, Auto Train, Adirondack, Lincoln Service, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Texas Eagle Detour Rt, 2013 Autumn Express Tour PHL, Silver Star, Sunset Limited -Acela Express-  2015 Autumn Express ALB  - Empire Service    

81,815 Amtrak miles & counting     
Via Rail Corridor Trains Cobourg-Ottawa-Montreal,(round trip)  The Ocean (round trip)--   2,250 miles

#34 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

IMHO, like buttons are simply ego-strokers unless accompanied by "ho-hum" and "sux" buttons.

The more the merrier!

I INSIST on a "Meh" button.

#35 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

The more the merrier!

I INSIST on a "Meh" button.

I'm EXTREMELY lukewarm to this request.

#36 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

Exactly.  All I know is my gut says maybe.

#37 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,009 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

A Civics Lesson that All of the Candidates and most American Voters are badly
in need of, especially that Unreality TV Star with New York Values!😉😕

Edited by Bob Dylan, 22 February 2016 - 04:22 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#38 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

We all talk about if the right candidates get voted in then Amtrak will flourish.

Well Amtrak hasn't flourished since its inception from what I remember. We've had many more cuts and many cities lose service than we have gains/expansions (and I believe most if not all of the gains have been state funded).

Have we just voted in the wrong people for over 40 years? Or maybe Congress doesn't really have as much an effect on Amtrak as we think they do?

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#39 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

Or maybe Congress doesn't really have as much an effect on Amtrak as we think they do?

Were it not for Congress, Amtrak would not exist.  Two different Presidential administrations - Reagan and Bush - proposed to end all subsidies for Amtrak (sometimes with a vague, fictional promise that private interests would pick up the "profitable" portions).  

In the horse trading necessary to pass a budget through a dysfunctional Congress every year, Amtrak is always shortchanged, with compromises that provide just enough funding to keep the trains rolling another year.  But it survives every fiscal year too - thanks to the same Congress.  

Such shortsighted planning has to change, of course, a point which was made previously - circa 1981 as I recall.  Amazing how little the politics have changed.   

Edited by A Voice, 22 February 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#40 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

Or maybe Congress doesn't really have as much an effect on Amtrak as we think they do?

Were it not for Congress, Amtrak would not exist.  Two different Presidential administrations - Reagan and Bush - proposed to end all subsidies for Amtrak (sometimes with a vague, fictional promise that private interests would pick up the "profitable" portions).  

In the horse trading necessary to pass a budget through a dysfunctional Congress every year, Amtrak is always shortchanged, with compromises that provide just enough funding to keep the trains rolling another year.  But it survives every fiscal year too - thanks to the same Congress.  

Such shortsighted planning has to change, of course, a point which was made previously - circa 1981 as I recall.  Amazing how little the politics have changed.   

There's a lot of cities for which Amtrak didn't survive and others who still have service but lost one or more trains (like Philly who lost the Broadway Limited/Three Rivers) for example. Don't ask someone from Phoenix or Las Vegas about Amtrak "surviving" because Amtrak didn't survive for them.

Edited by Philly Amtrak Fan, 22 February 2016 - 05:34 PM.

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users