341 replies to this topic

#341 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:01 PM

I know that some may not find transportation to be an important factor in choosing a place to live, but the fact that Chicago is the hub of the Amtrak network is an important reason I plan on moving there next year. While Europe certainly has a better rail system, it would not make sense for me to move there because almost all of the places I would travel to would be in the US so I would have to fly anyway. At least within the US, almost every major city can be reached by rail even if it is inconvenient.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP<p>

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Long Island Railroad, MARC, MARTA, MBTA, Metra, Metrolink, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, New Jersey Transit, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#342 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted Today, 12:37 AM

I was reading an article that listed the budget cuts as proposed by Speaker Ryan. It appears almost identical to Trump's with Amtrak Subsidies -- $1.565 billion eliminated along with transit funds for several groups including the Metro in Washington. Question one, at that amount, isn't that more than just long distance trains being cut? Also, without Metro in DC, where will all of the Washington govt staff park? I realize that this a proposal but still is unsettling.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users