Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

AMTK Locomotive 66 Hit semi and damaged

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#21 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

The solution is simple - put red light cameras at grade crossings.

Institute a $1,000 fine for personal vehicles, $50,000 fine to commercial vehicles.

The cameras will pay for themselves, then pay for quad gates or whatever the best solution is, then can get moved to the next intersection.
  • Steve4031 likes this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#22 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

Institute a $1,000 fine for personal vehicles, $50,000 fine to commercial vehicles.

The cameras will pay for themselves, then pay for quad gates or whatever the best solution is, then can get moved to the next intersection.

I was thinking the cameras and their monitoring would be more expense than the gate.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#23 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:11 AM

It is time to start equipping the grade crossings with four quadrant gates. I think it would help.

Or maybe the railroad should maintain there gates so they only go down when there a train coming. Add some railroad training and paint the crosstie so the crews know where the grade crossing sensor are so they don't fowl the crossing.

Four quadrants gates can fail, when they do two of arms fail down, two of the arms fail up. So five trucks still could get around them in a failure mode.

One thinks with modern technology a failed gate, or a fowled gate could report itself to the dispatcher.
Most of the crossings have detection systems that can track the speed and distance of the train and estimate when it will cross the road, and trigger the sequence when deemed appropriate. When a train stops after activation, the gate stays down until the circuitry realizes that the crossing is not blocked, then it will deactivate.

#24 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

I was thinking the cameras and their monitoring would be more expense than the gate.

According to the link below, the cost is under $80,000, which unfortunately - given the number of violations - would soon pay for itself.  The idea makes good sense (so we know it'll never happen).  

Wonder if there is a practical way to let the railroads do the installation, and reimburse them out of the ticket revenues?  

http://www.itscosts....ment&Query=CApp

Edited by A Voice, 20 February 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#25 Big Iron

Big Iron

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

And something along the lines of a 3 year license suspension for drivers of Class 6, 7, and 8 trucks.  

Trains Ridden: Broadway Limited (3), Capitol Limited (10), Cardinal (James Whitcomb Riley) (4) , Lake Shore Ltd. (4), Silver Star (5), Night Owl (3), Montrealer (2), Illinois Zephyr (10), Palmetto (2)

#26 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

According to the link below, the cost is under $80,000, which unfortunately - given the number of violations - would soon pay for itself.

At locations like this with a very high rate of violations, yes.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#27 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,440 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

Wonder if there is a practical way to let the railroads do the installation, and reimburse them out of the ticket revenues?

That's a pretty good way of going about it. (so as you said, it'll never happen)
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#28 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hmmmmmm. Yes. There's a way to do it. Pass a local law providing a cash payment to any person or organization which provides documented, date-stamped video evidence of an illegal raiload crossing by a motor vehicle, sufficient to lead to a conviction. Then ask the railroad politely to set up a camera to track cars & trucks going around the gate, explaining that they will be paid the prize for providing evidence. I think the railroad would be quite interested.
--Nathanael--

#29 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Like the red lite camera bit. However what to do when gates are down, by failure, or by equipment fowling the signals. Railroads I am told are not permitted to block a grade level crossing for more than 30mins. How long do people sit there waiting for a railroad maintainer to show up?

#30 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

Like the red lite camera bit. However what to do when gates are down, by failure, or by equipment fowling the signals. Railroads I am told are not permitted to block a grade level crossing for more than 30mins. How long do people sit there waiting for a railroad maintainer to show up?

The time limits vary from state to state and most states exempt failure from the limits anyway. It's illegal to go around the gates when they are active, no matter the situation. The only time it's not is when there is a flager directing traffic.

#31 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:13 PM

I like your idea Ryan. There is one place I've been I've watched school buses that were loaded go in front of trains. On a regular basis.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#32 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

There is something to be said for the impatience of drivers. How long indeed? I know some towns fine the railroads for improper gate activation and bill them if police support is needed.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#33 Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:47 PM

How fast do you think the police will respond to a report of gates down, but no train.

How busy is the workload on a 911dispatcher.

Railroads did have some problems in the past get the information to right dispatcher, and then communicated to the right trains.

What is the response time of railroads maintain personal?

Are the police even trained in what to do, and what should be done.

I like bridges, not perfect but you must be truly talented to get hit by a train from a bridge.

Edited by Just-Thinking-51, 21 February 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#34 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,699 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

I like your idea Ryan. There is one place I've been I've watched school buses that were loaded go in front of trains. On a regular basis.

Good god.  What is wrong with your state?   I've never seen school buses do this in NY or California.

--Nathanael--

#35 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

Good god.  What is wrong with your state?   I've never seen school buses do this in NY or California.
I live in South Carolina. So anything is possible. That town was Clinton by the way. It probably still happens. I've never understood why a town with twenty plus trains a day doesn't have gates for two crossings of four lane roads.
View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net
Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)
Steam Engines I've worked behind: Norfolk & Western No. 611; Nickel Plate Road No. 765; Southern Pacific No. 4449

#36 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,477 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:47 AM

I live in South Carolina. So anything is possible. That town was Clinton by the way. It probably still happens. I've never understood why a town with twenty plus trains a day doesn't have gates for two crossings of four lane roads.

We have at least one 4-lane highway with an at-grade crossing.  I'm not sure if there are gates (never paid attention the few times I drive there), but do know they have stop lights in addition to the RR crossing lights.

Here's a recent close call in TX.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=37052898

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 22 February 2016 - 06:49 AM.

#37 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

66 May get scrapped. Lots of internal damage, and the truck driver had no insurance.

Broadcast Engineer
Trains Taken: Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot) 21,157 Miles By Rail...

#38 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,481 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

Do you seriously believe that the truck driver's insurance has anything to do with deciding whether a locomotive will be scrapped or not?

It will get towed to Beech Grove. Legal and insurance issues will get addressed and based on various factors a decision will be made. Let us not jump the guns here. None of us have any expertise or concrete information about how repairable the damage is or not. So let's chill for a while.

#39 FormerOBS

FormerOBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Interests:Literature; History in general, especially American Hist.; Hist. of RR's & Industry; Camping; Travel; Model Railroading. Retired from Amtrak June, 2014 after 27 years and over 3,500,000 miles. What I say here DOES NOT necessarily represent Amtrak's views or policies.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

In the case of actual collisions, footage from the onboard forward-facing video camera that is present on most modern mainline locomotives can and should be used.

In the case of a near miss, this footage should also be used when it can be presented with corroboration or when the video shows something distinctive like a vehicle identification number, license plate, distinctive paint scheme, identifiable person, etc. If onboard footage doesn't exist, we have nothing to fall back on except eyewitness accounts.

Unfortunately, onboard footage only comes into play when there is an actual accident. I believe it should be used in the case of near misses, and I believe security cameras can be installed at a number of locations to be used in charging drivers, whether onboard cameras exist or not.

Tom

#40 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

I found this video which is a recording taken Sunday from a web cam in Rochelle, Illinois of a westbound Union Pacific freight train.  The fourth engine is AMTK 66.  Anyone know where it went?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users