64 replies to this topic

#21 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

I suckered for this and got 5 points for a survey, but not the 250 points for registering.

When you qualify for a survey and complete it, you get the 250.
Well, I qualified for and completed a survey......and received 5 points for the survey but not the 250 for registering. Oh well, nothing is free, right?
Not sure what may have happened then....I got my 250 after six tries (not eight that I said earlier) and for each of those five failed attempts, I got 5 points for each. Plus I was able to qualify for another one worth 20 . All told, that was 295....more than I'll receive on a day trip I'm taking tomorrow to CHI.

Edited by tim49424, 18 February 2016 - 08:26 AM.

Over 40,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: March 20-24 HOM-FTW-OKC round trip!

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2016:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster and Lake Shore Limited.

#22 wdscott

wdscott

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

I concur with afigg - points appear to be related to AGR tier level. At Select Executive I was also offered 500 points.

#23 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:53 AM

If I wasn't already overloaded with AGR points I'd consider it.  Unfortunately, I already have more points than I want; if I could get something other than AGR points for Amtrak travel I'd take them.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#24 BALtoNYPtraveler

BALtoNYPtraveler

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:59 AM

Hi Anderson,

If you have any upgrade coupons or anything unwanted you want to throw my way, we can be instant friends!

:giggle:

#25 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

If I wasn't already overloaded with AGR points I'd consider it.  Unfortunately, I already have more points than I want; if I could get something other than AGR points for Amtrak travel I'd take them.

I am more than willing to help a fellow AUer with a problem. As a favor to you and not asking any compensation from you for the favor, I'll let you provide a points bedroom round trip from GRV to NYP for me and my bride. I'll also agree to make the same offer in the future. :hi:

#26 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,299 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:16 PM

Ditto for me Cliff!😁

I'll settle for a TE/SL/CS/EB/CONO/Crescent/SM trip from AUS-MIA in a Roomette! I'm not Greedy!😊

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#27 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

Ditto for me Cliff!

I'll settle for a TE/SL/CS/EB/CONO/Crescent/SM trip from AUS-MIA in a Roomette! I'm not Greedy!

What a nasty person you are! Here, I offered to help him out for HIS BENEFIT not for a moment thinking about myself and did it just because it is always better to be the Good Samaritan. On the other hand you want to take something from him rather than to give. How can you be so low? :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

#28 afigg

afigg

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

It took more than a few survey attempts, but I finally was able to complete a survey to get the 500 AGR points. I kept getting told I was not eligible or did not qualify for completing the survey after answering the initial questions. The survey that I completed was for an advertising campaign by Medstar Georgetown Transplant Institute for their kidney transplant program (as in Georgetown University Hospital in DC). I don't nor does anyone in my family needs a kidney transplant, but guess they were looking for responses from people in the DC area on their ad campaign to get people to select Medstar for kidney transplants.

Anyway, I ended up answering a lot of survey questions providing info about me to get the 500 AGR points. Not sure it was worth it, but 500 AGR points could come in handy.

#29 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,299 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:37 PM

I got 5 points for the survey I took and then took the option to Cancel my Account!

Don't have the interest to go through 100 of these "Surveys" aka Marketing Fishing Trips!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#30 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

I got the 500 points taking the initial survey and 30 or 40 for a few more. The last week or so I've gotten 5 points for each failed attempt. The points post immediately. If you have the time, it is a very slow process to get points,but it;s something. With the 100 point minimum gone, this is an alternative and it doesn't cost anything.

Speaking of points and AGR 2.0 I was in Chicago for a couple of days last week and got the urge for a short trip just to ride. Chicago to Joliet was the cheapest I cold find $11.04 R/T. Up until January 23rd that trip would have earned me 250 points. Just checked my statement. Now this trip garnered me 28 points.

#31 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

I got the 500 points taking the initial survey and 30 or 40 for a few more. The last week or so I've gotten 5 points for each failed attempt. The points post immediately. If you have the time, it is a very slow process to get points,but it;s something. With the 100 point minimum gone, this is an alternative and it doesn't cost anything.

I'd agree with this. If you have a lot of extra time on your hands (like I do) it's well worth it. I've qualified for over 25 surveys and earned nearly 1,200 points. Very few have the time to do this however, and finding a survey to quality for can be quite frustrating at times. I find it more rewarding than points for shopping or purchasing points because of the fact it's free. However, it's not everyone's cup of tea....and even in my case, the novelty may wear off but not likely right away because I enjoy taking surveys when I get something in return.

Over 40,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: March 20-24 HOM-FTW-OKC round trip!

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2016:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster and Lake Shore Limited.

#32 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,491 posts
  • Interests:Mechanized Travel

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:56 PM

I'm thinking of starting a new youtube channel that hands out loyalty points in exchange for releasing deeply personal information while dancing on camera.  Any given panhandler on the side of the street would probably decline such a ridiculous offer, but I have a theory that points chasers suffer from a unique delusion that prevents them from properly analyzing basic value equations whenever points are involved.  :wacko:

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 28 February 2016 - 04:21 PM.

I'd rather be a glass half empty than a glass half fool.

#33 HARHBG

HARHBG

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

All you have to do is simply "make-up" your answers.  I've done this for years but in this survey they're getting better at "catching" conflicting answers, so you just have to remember what you answered before so you don't get "kicked-out" for conflicting answers.

I actually enjoy trying to deliberately trying to skew the surveys.................."Come the Revolution", :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

#34 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

All you have to do is simply "make-up" your answers.  I've done this for years but in this survey they're getting better at "catching" conflicting answers, so you just have to remember what you answered before so you don't get "kicked-out" for conflicting answers.

I actually enjoy trying to deliberately trying to skew the surveys.................."Come the Revolution", :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I think people get "kicked-out" for speeding through the surveys while making up the answers.  If you're too fast at answering they figure you're faking your opinion......even if you're not.    They also throw in trick questions to make sure you're paying attention.  

#35 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

I happen to have a lot of time on my hands and I've been taking a survey or two every day. Not quite the same as "point runs" earning 250 points for a relatively short inexpensive round trip(I miss that 100 point minimum!),but if you have the patience and do pay attention to the questions you can rack up some decent points in a short time. Best part of all of this is the fact it is free.. 20 points here, maybe 40 points and 5 points if you don't qualify for a particular survey,but I figure they all add up and I'm sitting at home doing this. It will take a long time to accumulate enough points for a sleeper, but this is a nice alternative. 

#36 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

I happen to have a lot of time on my hands and I've been taking a survey or two every day. Not quite the same as "point runs" earning 250 points for a relatively short inexpensive round trip(I miss that 100 point minimum!),but if you have the patience and do pay attention to the questions you can rack up some decent points in a short time. Best part of all of this is the fact it is free.. 20 points here, maybe 40 points and 5 points if you don't qualify for a particular survey,but I figure they all add up and I'm sitting at home doing this. It will take a long time to accumulate enough points for a sleeper, but this is a nice alternative. 

4,670 points earned, 134 surveys completed (about 75% rejection - most of which 5 points rewarded) since February 17.

Edited by tim49424, 30 March 2016 - 05:46 PM.

#37 siena1965

siena1965

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

joined points for surveys on 4-15-16 to date got 8595 in points very happy with the surveys.

#38 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

joined points for surveys on 4-15-16 to date got 8595 in points very happy with the surveys.

I find that hard to believe. Even if you got the max 500 points to join and then received 5 points for each survey; you would have to had to complete 1619 surveys to get that many points. My gut instinct says stay away. Why give away your AGR member number to an unknown cyber entity?

#39 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

I find that hard to believe. Even if you got the max 500 points to join and then received 5 points for each survey; you would have to had to complete 1619 surveys to get that many points. My gut instinct says stay away. Why give away your AGR member number to an unknown cyber entity?

If you complete a survey, you earn more than five points.  I've earned 6,640 since February.  It's been well worth it for me.

#40 siena1965

siena1965

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

update u can earn 20 30 40 50 points for completing surveys its easy to do. to date now 9805. I look for surveys all day long on my phone some days I can do 7 or 8 surveys. this is a great way to build points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users