42 replies to this topic

#21 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:49 AM

I assume the purpose of Double Days was to promote extra travel during slow periods. Why would Amtrak not want to do that now, especially when a leaner AGR program will not cost it as much in doubled points? I'm guessing there will be Double Days. And hoping.

#22 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts
  • Interests:Mechanized Travel

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:05 AM

I assume the purpose of Double Days was to promote extra travel during slow periods. Why would Amtrak not want to do that now, especially when a leaner AGR program will not cost it as much in doubled points? I'm guessing there will be Double Days. And hoping.

I don't think we know for certain what is going to happen with double days as of yet.  That being said, nearly everything Amtrak has done over the last few years has left me riding less and less.  Higher fares, higher mileage requirements, reduced amenities, lower service levels, lower earning levels, and worse scheduling have really taken a toll on my Amtrak travel.  On the plus side Amtrak staff turnover seems to have increased of late and resulted in younger and friendlier staff, at least in my experience. 

Here on AU the conventional wisdom is that no matter how many members Amtrak disappoints there will be a nearly inexhaustible supply of new passengers ready and willing to take their place.  While I suppose anything is possible I actually think AU members are some of the least demanding and most understanding passengers on Amtrak when it comes to general expectations.  Sometimes we get kind of crazy about esoteric logistical analysis and Monday morning quarterbacking, but when it comes to basic service satisfaction our members are probably among the easiest for Amtrak to please. 

In my view any sincere heartburn felt here on AU is likely to be amplified elsewhere.  Or at least that would be my expectation. I would imagine the commuter operations side of Amtrak is likely to enjoy a more loyal following over time, but out here on the LD network Amtrak does not match up well with alternatives such as driving and flying.  Nor does Amtrak do much of anything to promote or recognize loyalty in any practical sense. 

If my position is correct then I would imagine that over time Amtrak is likely to begin reversing course and seeing continued reductions in passenger miles as passengers revisit their assumptions and reevaluate their options. In any case things are likely to get a lot more interesting as Amtrak tries to budget cut their way to breaking even.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 17 February 2016 - 01:40 AM.

I'd rather be a glass half empty than a glass half fool.

#23 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

If passenger traffic is falling as noted in the recent infamous Boardman letter, it seems likely that they would try to increase traffic with promotions like Double Days. But we'll see in a couple of weeks if this is the case.

#24 tonys96

tonys96

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

I don't think we know for certain what is going to happen with double days as of yet.  That being said, nearly everything Amtrak has done over the last few years has left me riding less and less.  Higher fares, higher mileage requirements, reduced amenities, lower service levels, lower earning levels, and worse scheduling have really taken a toll on my Amtrak travel.  On the plus side Amtrak staff turnover seems to have increased of late and resulted in younger and friendlier staff, at least in my experience. 

Here on AU the conventional wisdom is that no matter how many members Amtrak disappoints there will be a nearly inexhaustible supply of new passengers ready and willing to take their place.  While I suppose anything is possible I actually think AU members are some of the least demanding and most understanding passengers on Amtrak when it comes to general expectations.  Sometimes we get kind of crazy about esoteric logistical analysis and Monday morning quarterbacking, but when it comes to basic service satisfaction our members are probably among the easiest for Amtrak to please. 

In my view any sincere heartburn felt here on AU is likely to be amplified elsewhere.  Or at least that would be my expectation. I would imagine the commuter operations side of Amtrak is likely to enjoy a more loyal following over time, but out here on the LD network Amtrak does not match up well with alternatives such as driving and flying.  Nor does Amtrak do much of anything to promote or recognize loyalty in any practical sense. 

If my position is correct then I would imagine that over time Amtrak is likely to begin reversing course and seeing continued reductions in passenger miles as passengers revisit their assumptions and reevaluate their options. In any case things are likely to get a lot more interesting as Amtrak tries to budget cut their way to breaking even.

^THIS^

The worst part of censorship is XXXXXXXXXXX.

When you mute or alter a man's voice, you are not proving him wrong or a liar, you are only telling the world that you fear what he has to say.

#25 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

Last year I got Spring Double Day points for a short, same day round trip on March 30.

Double days gave a minimum of 100 pts. So any fare under $50 fare would garner 100 pts.

Spring Double Days last year was from March 16 to May 16.

Edited by KmH, 19 February 2016 - 11:06 AM.

U. S. Congress - underground trolley system (1963) • Disneyland train (1968 and various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr - Coast Starlight 

. . . . . . .Total Amtrak miles - 11,390

• 4993 miles booked May '17 - Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Illinois Zephyr.

#26 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

"Garner" is the operative word. The 100 point minimum is gone, so I would imagine if Double days return it would be strictly double the point value and nothing more. I used to get 225 one way on a short hop on The Keystones. Under the new system it would be 24 points. I'm not sure if the Select Status(25%)would double or not. If it did I would get 30 points.

#27 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

2016 Double Days are 3/21 to 5/21. Registration starts 3/8. Or so the web site says.

#28 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

So the funeral was held way to early...

#29 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

Here's where to register!

https://www.amtrakgu....com/doubledays

Edited by tim49424, 08 March 2016 - 07:25 AM.

Over 40,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: June 7-14 HOM-PDX-SEA-HOM

Amtrak trains traveled on as of March, 2017:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited and Heartland Flyer.

#30 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

I find it curious that Amtrak has not been running Double Days during January and February which are the lowest-travel months.  But whatever...

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#31 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

2016 Double Days are 3/21 to 5/21. Registration starts 3/8. Or so the web site says.

About the same days as in years past.

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#32 JoeBas

JoeBas

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:36 PM

So the funeral was held way to early...

Or as the old saying goes, it was only MOSTLY dead...

... of course, when you're facing a 90% base devaluation, it's hard to get all excited about a "Double Days" promotion that makes it only an 80% devaluation... somewhere under the category of "Thank you Sir, may I have another???"...

#33 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

Without the 100 point minimum, my point runs using the Keystones..450 points with select round trip for $11.90 are over. Same trip now E:LT-HAR during the promotion would be 60 points. I do have some legitimate trips next month that will garner some points, but i really took advantage of the 100 point minimum to rack up those points. Another way of looking at it..it would cost me $100 to get 450 points during Double Days, instead of $12. 

Yeah those Point Runs were great. They enabled me to do some really nice cross country trips in a roomette, usually taking the longest route possible. 

#34 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:54 PM

Coo Coo La Rue ! ! ! !

Double Days Double Days are alive and well.

I'll be going for a train ride to get me some double points.

U. S. Congress - underground trolley system (1963) • Disneyland train (1968 and various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

• 4993 miles booked May '17 - Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Illinois Zephyr.

#35 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

Yay, my ride on the CONO and Empire Builder New Orleans to Seattle March 29-April 1 is Double Days.  Unfortunately, my return trip on CS, CZ, and CONO is AGR award so I guess no Double Days;.

#36 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:01 AM

The 100 points minimum is gone, but the limits on four one-way segments per day still applies to qualify for the offer.  Why is the segment limitation still in place under 2.0?  Is there some "gamey" strategy I'm missing that Amtrak is still trying to prevent?

#37 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,406 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

I didn't notice that, but they probably just forgot to remove that statement.

Under 1.0, a $15 fare would have earned 100 points (doubled) up to the limit and 30 points (doubled) after that. Under 2.0, all those trips would earn 30 points (doubled).
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#38 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

I bet the lack of the 100 point minimum is going to cost Amtrak in the long run.

#39 penguinflies

penguinflies

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Just a followup.  Double days is on and I rode the lincoln service. Just got my first posting and it doubled regular points, not TQP on the base fare and not on the business class bonus.  So for a $48.00 fare in business class I got 3 entries.  So not really double days, but more like 1.75 days.

03/25/2016 Double Days                                           Other Earning 96

03/25/2016 Business Class Type Bonus                   Other Earning 24 24

03/25/2016 St. Louis, MO (STL) - Chicago, IL (CHI)  Travel Earning 96 96

Edited by penguinflies, 31 March 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#40 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,406 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

How do you figure it is 1.75 days?:huh:

You received 220 points. In the old days with the 100 point minimum, your $48 fare would have given you only 200 points.

Edited by the_traveler, 01 April 2016 - 07:59 AM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users