Metrolink Using BNSF Locos For Cab Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief
I know that Metrolink is currently using BNSF AC4400's in place of the Hyundai Rotem cab cars while the Oxnard crash is under investigation, but does anyone know when this is supposed to end? The AC4400's are not going to be suitable for the high speed rail when it comes into effect.

End? They haven't even fully implemented the practice.

My daily commute on the Ventura County line is mostly without the BNSF locos, sometimes with.

BTW, this past week, they installed temporary ramps (for wheel chairs, etc.) on the platforms at LAUS to accommodate the trains with the BNSF loco that can't line up properly with the permanent ramps.

CAHSR is still a ways away...by the time HSR is here in So Cal the BNSF locos will be gone and probably Metrolink's current power as well.

From Metrolink's website this addresses the OP's initial question...

"When will the locomotives be added to the Metrolink System? How long will they remain on the system?

Metrolink started deploying these BNSF locomotives across its system on Dec. 18, 2015 and will continue adding them until all 40 are in service. The initial lease is a year. The BNSF locomotives will likely be replaced when the new Tier 4 clean locomotives are ready to be put into service."

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/agency/page/title/our_trains

Seems to me that if they do what All Aboard Florida is doing (Engine at each end) it would solve all their problems once and for all and even provide enough power to the trains to accelerate out of stops decently. Also provide a certain level of redundancy should one engine fail enroute. This mindless focus on trying to run all rains with precisely one engine is somewhat mind boggling. Yeah it does seem to save some money, but at some cost of reliability and safety.

If I'm understanding correctly, trains with these BNSF locomotives are only using the Metrolink engines for HEP. Is there a theory behind this?

Inward facing cameras. Providing a false sense of security to America since May 13, 2015.
Huh?

If I'm understanding correctly, trains with these BNSF locomotives are only using the Metrolink engines for HEP. Is there a theory behind this?

Inward facing cameras. Providing a false sense of security to America since May 13, 2015.
Huh?
BNSF locomotives are freight units. They don't have the ability to provide head end power.

The inward facing cameras focus on crew actions during a run. They had been appearing since the Metrolink crash that killed a bunch of poeople. Some crew members feel they are invasion of their privacy and are of no practical use in preventing accidents.

Sorry, the May, 2015 date is the crash of Amtrak 188 in Philadelphia, where the actions of the engineer before the crash are unknown. So some think inward facing cameras would provide answers for this type of crash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huh?
BNSF locomotives are freight units. They don't have the ability to provide head end power.

The inward facing cameras focus on crew actions during a run. They had been appearing since the Metrolink crash that killed a bunch of poeople. Some crew members feel they are invasion of their privacy and are of no practical use in preventing accidents.
Of course the freight units don't provide head-end power. On the other hand, the Metrolink units do provide motive power. Why aren't they?

To be honest, your workplace is your employer's business. So, unless they're sticking cameras in the restrooms, it's hardly an invasion of your privacy.

Who says the metrolink locomotives AREN'T providing motive power in addition to the HEP? On paper, it says that they are just there for HEP, and all motive power is coming from the BNSF loco only, but in real life, the engineer rarely takes the time and effort to isolate the metrolink loco, so it is providing motive power along with the BNSF loco.

Who says the metrolink locomotives AREN'T providing motive power in addition to the HEP? On paper, it says that they are just there for HEP, and all motive power is coming from the BNSF loco only, but in real life, the engineer rarely takes the time and effort to isolate the metrolink loco, so it is providing motive power along with the BNSF loco.
Right. And in theory, it could help save fuel on the Metrolink loco, am I correct?

Right. And in theory, it could help save fuel on the Metrolink loco, am I correct?
I spoke to one of their engineers recently and asked him regarding this subject: BOTH locos are providing motive power.

I ride the Ventura Line daily for my commute.

Edit/Add: Both locos in use was also made evident by engine noise and exhaust emissions observed as the train departed the station.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huh?
Of course the freight units don't provide head-end power. On the other hand, the Metrolink units do provide motive power. Why aren't they?
To be honest, your workplace is your employer's business. So, unless they're sticking cameras in the restrooms, it's hardly an invasion of your privacy.
To which I say come work for the railroad and have to deal with the BS we deal with. I don't want to have some train master who doesn't know a thing about running a train or being a conductor telling me what I could have done differently when my train hits a trespasser. Railroads constantly hire Train Masters who have jack experience on any train. They're the morons telling us how to do our jobs and they don't know a thing about what we do.

To which I say come work for the railroad and have to deal with the BS we deal with. I don't want to have some train master who doesn't know a thing about running a train or being a conductor telling me what I could have done differently when my train hits a trespasser. Railroads constantly hire Train Masters who have jack experience on any train. They're the morons telling us how to do our jobs and they don't know a thing about what we do.
Seems like this is more a reflection on your management than on cameras in the workplace....

Back