Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Fresh air stops on Southwest Chief

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

The trick to Amtrak Unlimiteding is to get good answers to your original question (as I did here) before the smartasses start pilin' on! But I do enjoy smartassery. When we get to Winslow I'm gonna get a photo of Trooper lifting his leg on the Standin' on the Corner sculpture. Just you wait.

:giggle:

#22 CoachSlumber

CoachSlumber

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

I used to travel with a smoker. We were well aware of the "fresh air" stops. :)

From memory: Fort Madison, Kansas City, Dodge City (they don't announce this one since it's during quiet hours), La Junta, Raton, and Albuquerque.

We never traveled past Albuquerque, so I'm not sure if there's one between Albuquerque and Winslow.

Also, since you have a service dog, there may be additional stops where they'll let you out to relieve the dog. I sat with a lady during lunch on the way back to Chicago on the California Zephyr, and she was the only non-departing passenger they allowed off the train at Galesburg. She said the conductor knew she had a service dog and had been making them aware of stops that weren't necessarily fresh air stops, provided the stop lasted longer than a minute or two.

When I took the Zephyr several years ago, Galesburg was a smoke stop. Several of us outside--including the attendant, nearly got left behind when the doors started closing before the engineer did his single beep.

#23 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:33 PM

Just so I know west of Albuquerque(it seems pretty clear all the such stops east of ABQ, which are called as a smoke stop or sometimes called as one if time allows for it), which ones are the smoke stops? Am I correct in thinking Gallup, Flagstaff, and San Bernardino are the *usual stops called as such? Are there any others that are less often called as a brief stop during the overnight hours between ABQ and LAX, such as Kingman or one of the others in eastern California before San Bernardino?

I didn't know Dodge City was considered a brief overnight smoking stop for the SWC, so interesting to learn about that one in this thread. And allegedly Newton, as well(probably for those transferring to the Newton-OKC bus, or from that to the SWC going to Newton allowing a few minutes there).

*- I know these stops except for the very longest ones(i.e. Albuquerque, KC) can be shortened or eliminated, if the train is running late.

Edited by dogbert617, 15 July 2017 - 09:34 PM.

#24 Dan O

Dan O

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

Just so I know west of Albuquerque(it seems pretty clear all the such stops east of ABQ, which are called as a smoke stop or sometimes called as one if time allows for it), which ones are the smoke stops? Am I correct in thinking Gallup, Flagstaff, and San Bernardino are the *usual stops called as such? Are there any others that are less often called as a brief stop during the overnight hours between ABQ and LAX, such as Kingman or one of the others in eastern California before San Bernardino?

I didn't know Dodge City was considered a brief overnight smoking stop for the SWC, so interesting to learn about that one in this thread. And allegedly Newton, as well(probably for those transferring to the Newton-OKC bus, or from that to the SWC going to Newton allowing a few minutes there).

*- I know these stops except for the very longest ones(i.e. Albuquerque, KC) can be shortened or eliminated, if the train is running late.

Flagstaff looks to be only a 6 minute stop. San Bernardino and Kingman even shorter. 

Amtrak miles 13487
Pre-Amtrak train miles 6678

#25 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

I don't recall Gallup as being a fresh air stop. But don't quote me on that. ;) And I do recall at least one case where the SWC was running a bit late and the fresh air stop at San Bernardino was scrapped altogether. Just time for passengers to get on or off and that was that.
Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#26 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

Flagstaff looks to be only a 6 minute stop. San Bernardino and Kingman even shorter. 

Gotcha. I was suspecting anyway that none of the fresh air/smoking stops were definite ones, other than KC, La Junta, Albuquerque, and the brief 6 minute one at Flagstaff. And that shorter ones like Flagstaff and San Bernardino could be eliminated, if the train was running late. I have sometimes been just looking on juckins.net and also on amtrak.com and looking up train status(and searching for separate arrival and departure times), to figure out which are the less obvious smoking stops which are sometimes called and sometimes not depending on time. I'll be able to deal with it anyway, and thanks.

Edited by dogbert617, 16 July 2017 - 07:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users