Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Fresh air stops on Southwest Chief

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 HenryK

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

I'm planning a trip with my wife and new service dog from Chicago to Winslow, Arizona, on the Southwest Chief during the second week of March. Need to know good places to take the dog out for "fresh air".

I know that the carded service stops are Kansas City, La Junta and Albuquerque, but are there other stops where the train might dwell for five or so minutes? I seem to remember Galesburg and Raton, but maybe that particular train just got there early and was burning off minutes before departures.

Thanks to all.

#2 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

Crew changes at Fort Madison and Dodge City.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#3 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,586 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:49 PM

Raton seems to be a longish stop.  I think I got off there, when I was on #3 in Oct 2014, for a stretch.  

#4 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,300 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

You may, if the Chief is on time, be able to hop off in LA Plata and as was said, @ Raton there is usually time for some fresh air. And Galesburg usually has time for a platform fresh air break.

Dodge City is in the wee hours so y'all may be asleep then.

Sounds like your new friend is a keeper, did you sign him up for AGR?😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#5 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

La Junta is always one.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

I assume you are in a sleeper? Can the SCA alert you when the stop is long enough to take care of business? Maybe ask when you board and explain the situation with your doggy friend.

#7 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

I used to travel with a smoker. We were well aware of the "fresh air" stops. :)

From memory: Fort Madison, Kansas City, Dodge City (they don't announce this one since it's during quiet hours), La Junta, Raton, and Albuquerque.

We never traveled past Albuquerque, so I'm not sure if there's one between Albuquerque and Winslow.

Also, since you have a service dog, there may be additional stops where they'll let you out to relieve the dog. I sat with a lady during lunch on the way back to Chicago on the California Zephyr, and she was the only non-departing passenger they allowed off the train at Galesburg. She said the conductor knew she had a service dog and had been making them aware of stops that weren't necessarily fresh air stops, provided the stop lasted longer than a minute or two.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#8 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

If they are early into Gallup, Gallup is sometimes,  Albuquerque is really the last one before Winslow.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#9 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

I used to travel with a smoker. We were well aware of the "fresh air" stops. :)

From memory: Fort Madison, Kansas City, Dodge City (they don't announce this one since it's during quiet hours), La Junta, Raton, and Albuquerque.

We never traveled past Albuquerque, so I'm not sure if there's one between Albuquerque and Winslow.

Also, since you have a service dog, there may be additional stops where they'll let you out to relieve the dog. I sat with a lady during lunch on the way back to Chicago on the California Zephyr, and she was the only non-departing passenger they allowed off the train at Galesburg. She said the conductor knew she had a service dog and had been making them aware of stops that weren't necessarily fresh air stops, provided the stop lasted longer than a minute or two.

You have a pretty good memory, Ms Z.

The designated smoking stops are actually Galesburg, Kansas City, Newton, La Junta, Raton, Albuquerque and Gallup if the schedule permits, so I'd imagine you can break away from that group and take the air. Any other stops are determined by arrival time vs departure time.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 26 January 2016 - 09:41 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#10 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:43 PM

That's so bizarre. We never had the opportunity to get off at Galesburg or Newton in all six years of riding the SWC.

I don't doubt you one bit, Thirdrail. I'm just confused as to why those weren't fresh air stops during our trips, even when we were early/on-time. (I could understand skipping them if the train is behind.)

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#11 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

That's so bizarre. We never had the opportunity to get off at Galesburg or Newton in all six years of riding the SWC.

I don't doubt you one bit, Thirdrail. I'm just confused as to why those weren't fresh air stops during our trips, even when we were early/on-time. (I could understand skipping them if the train is behind.)

Well, it looks like this took effect last spring.  Perhaps they had different stops prior to the change. The old rule of thumb used to be if the train had an arrival and departure time in the public schedule, it was a designated smoke stop as long as there wasn't a law prohibiting smoking.

That fell by the wayside some time ago.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 26 January 2016 - 09:59 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#12 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,094 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

Oh! My last trip was in Dec 2014, so that explains it. :)

Edited by SarahZ, 26 January 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#13 rtabern

rtabern

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:50 PM

I used to do Trails & Rails on the Southwest Chief and have probably ridden it 100 times or more between Chicago and La Plata.

Fort Madison is almost always a smoke-stop... Galesburg is almost NEVER a smoke stop. I think on 1 run they allowed it because we were running very early in.

Galesburg seems to be a regular smoke stop on #5 and #6.  This is apparently the case because they take the trash off the Zephyr at GBB, but not the Chief.

#14 HenryK

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

Thanks to everyone. Looks like Fort Madison will be Trooper's first fresh-air stop outbound from Chicago, followed by Kansas City, Raton and Albuquerque. He has an eight-hour tank so there is some leeway (peeway?) in his schedule.

Edited by HenryK, 28 January 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#15 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

La Junta is always a long stop, service stop and crew change.  Often longer than Raton.

#16 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:52 PM

If they are early into Gallup, Gallup is sometimes,  Albuquerque is really the last one before Winslow.

But if you get off in Winslow, you have to stand on a corner.

#17 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

But if you get off in Winslow, you have to stand on a corner.

And have a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slow down to take a look at you.
Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#18 HenryK

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

Chakk and JayPea, I was just waiting for you guys to burst into song.

#19 Carolyn Jane

Carolyn Jane

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

They have a park there for that...

P1010135.jpg

#20 HenryK

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

The trick to Amtrak Unlimiteding is to get good answers to your original question (as I did here) before the smartasses start pilin' on! But I do enjoy smartassery. When we get to Winslow I'm gonna get a photo of Trooper lifting his leg on the Standin' on the Corner sculpture. Just you wait.

Edited by HenryK, 29 January 2016 - 08:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users