Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Can't book with new Program

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

I can't seem to find the page to redeem. I click on the link to redeem and it sends me to the normal booking screen and asks me to pay with credit card.
Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 
Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken: Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot) 20,221 Miles By Rail...

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,307 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

On the normal looking screen click where it says "points".
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 TylerP42

TylerP42

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

If it was a snake it would of bit me! My bad! Didn't really "jump out" at me, so I didn't see it. Thanks!

Just a 19 year old with a love for the railroad. 
Studying Broadcast Media.
Trains Taken: Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Wolverine, Lake Shore Limited, Hiawatha, Lincoln Service,(Birthday Trip Next), Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr (5,640 Miles) END OF TRIP, Acela Express, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Carolinian, Ethan Allen Express , Adirondack, Texas Eagle, VIA Rail Corridor Service (Toronto-Hamilton/Aldershot) 20,221 Miles By Rail...

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,307 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

Southwest's web page is very similar, so the logic was already hard wired for me. :D
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#5 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

I was having the same problem and tried the solution and I get a message "Sorry for the inconvenience. Currently there is a system issue preventing your request from being processed."

Apparently bugs in the system are being worked out.  I guess patience is key until all are fixed.

Over 50,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: September 25, HOM-SEA RT

Amtrak trains traveled on as of May, 2018:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Lake Shore Limited, Heartland Flyer, Amtrak Cascades, Ethan Allen, Capitol Limited and Carolinian

#6 Big Iron

Big Iron

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

I'm on the payment screen right now and do not see "points"  anywhere.  Payments methods are Vouchers and credit card only.  

Also, I cannot find the "points estimator" on the AGR website.  Can someone point me in the right direction.  I'm trying to determine how many points would be need for a trip costing $934.00.00

Trains Ridden: Broadway Limited (3), Capitol Limited (10), Cardinal (James Whitcomb Riley) (4) , Lake Shore Ltd. (4), Silver Star (5), Night Owl (3), Montrealer (2), Illinois Zephyr (10), Palmetto (2)

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,307 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

You have to select "points" before you get to the payment screen.
Posted Image

#8 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,305 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

I'm on the payment screen right now and do not see "points"  anywhere.  Payments methods are Vouchers and credit card only.  

Also, I cannot find the "points estimator" on the AGR website.  Can someone point me in the right direction.  I'm trying to determine how many points would be need for a trip costing $934.00.00

Go back to the 1st screen that shows the trains.  There are two buttons near top left  Dollars / Points.

#9 Big Iron

Big Iron

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:26 PM

Go back to the 1st screen that shows the trains.  There are two buttons near top left  Dollars / Points.

I am trying to book using the "multi-city" option and I don't see it.  I do see it trying to book round trip.  What I'm trying to do is book a trip departing RVR to CHI but I want to take the Cardinal west from WAS rather than taking the bus option from RVR to CVS.  I'd rather wait in the Acela lounge than taking the bus.  

Also, where can I find the point estimator tool on the AGR website?  

Thanks, I'm trying not to be dense.  

Trains Ridden: Broadway Limited (3), Capitol Limited (10), Cardinal (James Whitcomb Riley) (4) , Lake Shore Ltd. (4), Silver Star (5), Night Owl (3), Montrealer (2), Illinois Zephyr (10), Palmetto (2)

#10 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

And, I discovered if you switch from dollars to points, you have to re-select your desired accomodation. If you are on dollars and select sleeper bedroom, it goes back to roomette when you switch to points!

The "Points Estimator" went away when AGR 2.0 went into effect. Wish it was still around!

Edited by FrensicPic, 31 January 2016 - 06:38 PM.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

5540 miles booked for this fall on the Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, Illini/Saluki, Southwest Chief.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/

#11 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,305 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

I am trying to book using the "multi-city" option and I don't see it.  I do see it trying to book round trip.  What I'm trying to do is book a trip departing RVR to CHI but I want to take the Cardinal west from WAS rather than taking the bus option from RVR to CVS.  I'd rather wait in the Acela lounge than taking the bus.  

Also, where can I find the point estimator tool on the AGR website?  

Thanks, I'm trying not to be dense.  

Ah.  Don't fret about it (being dense).  It's a new system and a lot of people are having problems navigating it.  I haven't even tried to book anything with the new AGR.  Maybe all the bugs will be revealed, if not fixed, by the time I do want to book something.

I think, but not sure, I read that you have to call for multi-city bookings.  And I also think I read they removed the estimator tool.  :(

#12 Big Iron

Big Iron

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone!!!  I did a test booking round trip WAS-CHI with roomette on the Card and on the CL, came to 32,155 points which would have been, IIRC, 40,000 points under the original AGR setup.  Roomette on the Card and bedroom on the CL was 48,542.  

That doesn't factor in the RVR-WAS round trip but that would be a nominal cash outlay.  

#13 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

Along this line, I have yet to see any option where you can combine "Cash" and Points, other than booking 1 way with Points and the other with Cash on separate reservations.  If you call AGR, can they do a Cash/Points combo?

#14 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:23 PM

Along this line, I have yet to see any option where you can combine "Cash" and Points, other than booking 1 way with Points and the other with Cash on separate reservations.  If you call AGR, can they do a Cash/Points combo?

Supposedly not ready yet.

#15 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:36 PM

They still want you to buy points for that.

Although I think it would be interesting to see people start doing their own 2.0 "Toledo Shuffle" at whatever location they run out of points...

#16 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:06 AM

The "Points Estimator" got pulled from the AGR website (probably about the time someone realized it was, in fact, not true for many trips).  However...

https://web.archive....rak.com/rideon/

The Wayback Machine is your friend!  Feed it cookies!  Click on the fifth dot down.  If the points cost doesn't roughly line up with what the cash price estimate converts to there, you have a Bad Deal (since that's the baseline price).

Amtrak mileage to date: Somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 miles...I /really/ need to run all of my trips through a calculator sometime.

...and no, I am not /that/ Anderson...;-)

#17 Big Iron

Big Iron

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

The "Points Estimator" got pulled from the AGR website (probably about the time someone realized it was, in fact, not true for many trips).  However...

https://web.archive....rak.com/rideon/

The Wayback Machine is your friend!  Feed it cookies!  Click on the fifth dot down.  If the points cost doesn't roughly line up with what the cash price estimate converts to there, you have a Bad Deal (since that's the baseline price).

Thanks Anderson.  I've downloaded plenty of music from the archives but have never spent much time on the wayback machine.  

#18 Big Iron

Big Iron

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'm going back to the well of knowledge again.  I am trying to use the multi city option to book an AGR trip and cannot determine how to pay with points?  The payment section only shows credit card or voucher payment.  

I am working on a RVR-NYP-CHI-WAS-RVR trip.  The routing using the round trip option (where I see the button for points) only offers a too close for comfort connection from 88 to 49 of 56 minutes.  I would prefer to take 164 that offer more cushion but that option does not appear.  Train 164 is not sold out for my travel dates.

Thanks in advance for the help.

#19 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,305 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

I've booked trains separately in cases like that.  Used points to WAS then used either points or cash for a later regional home.  If 164 gives a good cushion, then consider booking it separate from the rest.

#20 Big Iron

Big Iron

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

Good thinking, thanks.  I'll just book 4 separate one way trips using points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users