Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Metrolink EMD F125 "Spirit" Locomotive

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,757 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

I suppose we can all agree that the observed fact is that nothing is forthcoming from EMD in the near future. To what extent that is due to the Vossloh issue falls most likely in the speculation category AFAICT. The known potential conflict of interest is in Stadler's desire to sell DMU's rather than push passenger diesel locomotives in the US. But whether that is the cause of reduced enthusiasm on part of Vossloh to engage with EMD, or just their desire to milk EMD for all that they are worth or something else, who knows? Again, what people involved with EMD's Muncie Plant have observed is that Muncie is struggling with the F-125 and is not getting the support at present from Vossloh that they desire.

#42 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

According to a posting in trainorders, the F125 project is currently in deep doo doo. It has not been certified by FRA yet, so deliveries are all held up by the bunch of issues that need to be resolved first. meanwhile Vossloh which is a supplier of design and parts to EMD for the F125 has been acquired by Stadler, which competes with EMD in the US. So things are not exactly going peachy between EMD and Vossloh anymore. Considering that Vossloh manufactures the body of the F125, that is - shall we say - a bit of a problem, over and above the problems with FRA certification, or lack thereof.

With everybody owning everybody else these days, isn't it already quite common that parts are sourced from competitors in the industry? I don't think this situation is totally unprecedented nor unresolvable.

And whereas Stadler may now be building locomotives for the European market, they are not supplying any in the US market nor planning to, so I don't see an immediate conflict of interest.

However EMD does make locomotives for the European market, so there is a conflict there.

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#43 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

Is this a rugged and meaty enough unit to stand up to Amtrak use?

#44 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

You might need to add larger fuel tanks and beef up the HEP. But apart from that i don't see why it wouldn't work.

#45 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:43 AM

You might need to add larger fuel tanks and beef up the HEP. But apart from that i don't see why it wouldn't work.
It would help to have a unit or two for testing...

#46 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

I've read that lately, the F125's have some kind of problems that need modifications. What were the problems?

#47 leemell

leemell

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Saw one today at the Van Nuys Amtrak station.

#48 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:29 AM

Welp, the EMD F125's are already being tested. It probably won't be long until they're in service!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users