Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Metrolink EMD F125 "Spirit" Locomotive

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

Potentially for the same reason that the P40's had that originally, a hostler control stand?

#22 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

Potentially for the same reason that the P40's had that originally, a hostler control stand?

I see. And what did they do on the P40's to remove the rear window?

#23 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:27 AM

Just removed the controls and plated over the window frame.

#24 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

Looks like the official order is now 40.

http://www.metrolink...2016_AprMay.pdf

Interesting. I can't find this new number anywhere else. But I suppose Metrolink must know what they have ordered! Good find! I wonder where they found the money for the other 20.

Ah OK. The actual number of engines ordered so far is 20+9 = 29. They eventually want to order the remaining 11 to make up 40, but so far do not have the funds to do so. They have3 recently gotten another grant that will allow them to order another 4 or so, and another future grant is in the offing that will enable them to order the balance 7 to make up 40, but these orders are yet to be placed and finalized.

See: http://www.railway-t...omotive-4791592

Interestingly, the monococque car body of these locomotives comes from Vossloh, and is European technology.

Edited by jis, 16 May 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#25 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:23 PM

First Metrolink unit out of Muncie as of 6/8. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#26 TheMalahat

TheMalahat

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:49 PM

Lots of pictures: http://www.metrolink...r_4_Locomotives

#27 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

Apparently just arrived per their Facebook page...

https://www.facebook...153701023252934

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#28 MisterUptempo

MisterUptempo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

Located a video of the F125's arrival-

https://www.youtube....h?v=h7Hr1yjLSw4

#29 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

If the rear windows are for hostler controls, what exactly IS hostler controls? Is it the control stand at the rear of the loco?

#30 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

If the rear windows are for hostler controls, what exactly IS hostler controls? Is it the control stand at the rear of the loco?

yep, and the maximum speed was limited to 15 mph on the p40 locomotives while that control stand was in use.

#31 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:36 AM

Cody, why would they need a hostler control stand if they already have a control stand at the front of the loco?

When backing up, the engineer could just simply stick his head out the window and look back, or look in the rearview mirrors.

#32 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

Cody, why would they need a hostler control stand if they already have a control stand at the front of the loco?

When backing up, the engineer could just simply stick his head out the window and look back, or look in the rearview mirrors.

They have ~60 feet of locomotive between the rear coupler and the main controls. The hostler controls allow for easier sight lines when coupling to their cars. This is the same reason that freight trains when coupling have someone on the ground near the coupler giving instructions to the engineer.

#33 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:56 PM

Spotted SCAX 905 at CMF (Central Maintenance Facility) this morning as I was coming into town on Metrolink 100 from Chatsworth.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#34 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

According to a posting in trainorders, the F125 project is currently in deep doo doo. It has not been certified by FRA yet, so deliveries are all held up by the bunch of issues that need to be resolved first. meanwhile Vossloh which is a supplier of design and parts to EMD for the F125 has been acquired by Stadler, which competes with EMD in the US. So things are not exactly going peachy between EMD and Vossloh anymore. Considering that Vossloh manufactures the body of the F125, that is - shall we say - a bit of a problem, over and above the problems with FRA certification, or lack thereof.

Meanwhile EMD is apparently so late that they have already reached the maximum liquidated damages, so they are unlikely to deliver anything further until all issues are resolved. So everyone is sitting around the one hangar queen in possession of Metrolink (905) and apparently another one sitting in Pueblo, which is yet to complete the testing for certification, for issues to resolve first.

Seems like shades of CAF repeating itself here.

#35 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:29 PM

It's not as simple as sticking your head out a window or looking in the side mirrors.

Run an engine long hood forward and you will quickly understand. 

These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#36 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,236 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:34 PM

According to a posting in trainorders, the F125 project is currently in deep doo doo. It has not been certified by FRA yet, so deliveries are all held up by the bunch of issues that need to be resolved first. meanwhile Vossloh which is a supplier of design and parts to EMD for the F125 has been acquired by Stadler, which competes with EMD in the US. So things are not exactly going peachy between EMD and Vossloh anymore. Considering that Vossloh manufactures the body of the F125, that is - shall we say - a bit of a problem, over and above the problems with FRA certification, or lack thereof. Meanwhile EMD is apparently so late that they have already reached the maximum liquidated damages, so they are unlikely to deliver anything further until all issues are resolved. So everyone is sitting around the one hangar queen in possession of Metrolink (905) and apparently another one sitting in Pueblo, which is yet to complete the testing for certification, for issues to resolve first. Seems like shades of CAF repeating itself here.

God Bless America. 

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#37 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:58 PM

I do wonder how long EMD will continue. This is not their first major mis-step in the last several years and Cat has shown signs that they might be willing to pull the plug on it. At the very least, the competition for passenger locomotives is very strong in the usa and this could kill that department for EMD.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#38 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 09:58 PM

I do wonder how long EMD will continue. This is not their first major mis-step in the last several years and Cat has shown signs that they might be willing to pull the plug on it. At the very least, the competition for passenger locomotives is very strong in the usa and this could kill that department for EMD.

EMD has already been withdrawn from use as a brand, though they do still make many freight locomotives.

#39 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:14 PM

EMD has already been withdrawn from use as a brand, though they do still make many freight locomotives.

Yes, though the whole tier 4 transition has been a disaster for EMD too. Progress Rail is a better brand, so it might help reboot EMD even if it's no longer called EMD.

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#40 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

According to a posting in trainorders, the F125 project is currently in deep doo doo. It has not been certified by FRA yet, so deliveries are all held up by the bunch of issues that need to be resolved first. meanwhile Vossloh which is a supplier of design and parts to EMD for the F125 has been acquired by Stadler, which competes with EMD in the US. So things are not exactly going peachy between EMD and Vossloh anymore. Considering that Vossloh manufactures the body of the F125, that is - shall we say - a bit of a problem, over and above the problems with FRA certification, or lack thereof.

With everybody owning everybody else these days, isn't it already quite common that parts are sourced from competitors in the industry? I don't think this situation is totally unprecedented nor unresolvable.

And whereas Stadler may now be building locomotives for the European market, they are not supplying any in the US market nor planning to, so I don't see an immediate conflict of interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users