Amtrak Privatization

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief
Will Amtrak ever become a private company in the future? If not, why not?

Also, how would Amtrak have worked better in the first place? As a government-owned company, or a privately-owned company?

Whenever I see a question like this I think "Man, we should probably build a FAQ thread."
Yeah, but, new people won't bother looking for that before posting these types of questions. But it would be nice to have somewhere to point them to.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Amtrak had been created as a Private Company in 1971 it would be History like so many of the Class I RRs that used to run the Passenger Trains in this Country!

If it had been designed to prosper and last, instead of being created by the politicians as an entity designed to fail, we would probably now have a National Rail System that rivaled those in countries like India, Japan, China and in Europe.

As it is, we have what we have, a step child quasi-government agency that is hanging on by its fingernails despite the ever increasing ridership.

There is a reason why Amtrak was created in the first place. All I can say, it's surprising Amtrak is still around after all this time. It's kind of like the South Shore Line was, but on a much larger scale.

There is no privately owned passenger transportation system in the world. It ranges from fully government owned and operated to various forms of "public private partnership". (Actually, there isn't any fully private freight transportation either, but that's another matter.)

Transportation is a basic government function; something the ancient Romans knew, but not everyone in the US seems to know. Every time it's left in private hands, a mess results.

There is no privately owned passenger transportation system in the world. It ranges from fully government owned and operated to various forms of "public private partnership". (Actually, there isn't any fully private freight transportation either, but that's another matter.)

Transportation is a basic government function; something the ancient Romans knew, but not everyone in the US seems to know. Every time it's left in private hands, a mess results.
The less government is involved, the better (and the less taxpayers have to pay). You can say that about a lot of things other than transportation too.

The less government is involved, the better (and the less taxpayers have to pay). You can say that about a lot of things other than transportation too.
Sounds more like a religious principle than anything based on a well thought out analysis to me. But I guess, whatever rocks ones boat ;)

Ask people who have Private, for profit Utility Companies, if they are glad that the evil Government doesn't own their Utilities!

And the tens of millions of Senior Citizens with Social Security and Medicare if they're ready to turn over their benefits to the Wall Street Sharks and Greedy Mega Banks!

And maybe we should make the Interstate Highway System Toll Roads so trucks can deliver our goods cheaper!

And do away with the minimum wage so we can compete with third world countries on the race to the bottom and while were at it repeal Obama Care so 30 Million more lose their Health care!That's what Emergency rooms are for as Mitt Romney said!

People that believe simplistic drivel like this make it possible for charlatans like Donald Trump, Rushbo,Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, Hannity, Glenn Beck etc etc to get rich preaching crap!

You could look it up but why let facts confuse you!

All I know is the airline system and the bus system have a much larger national network than the train system in this country. For LD travel, planes will always be the #1 choice. But for those who don't want to fly, trains should be somewhere competitive with buses. I would guess most Americans would find a train to be more comfortable than a bus, whether it's for two hours or two days/ No matter how bad people say the Amtrak food service is, at least they actually have service. All those cities I said don't have Amtrak in a previous post? I can guarantee most if not all of them have Greyhound or Megabus. And you wouldn't have to go all the way north to Chicago and then back south to travel between Texas and Florida on Greyhound. What are the buses doing the trains aren't (or can't)? I'm sure Greyhound doesn't have to deal with all this government red tape to start a route they think would be popular compared to what Amtrak has to go through.

AmtrakBlue:

Yeah. It was created by Congress in 1971, I know that. But I was really curious to know if it would become a privately-owned company rather than government-owned.

The bus companies have a very large road network to use that is essentially free to access (gas taxes only pay for a portion of the road cost, and a lot of vehicles share the road network to spread out costs as well.) If Amtrak wants to expand, it has to pay a fee to the railroad owners along with paying for any needed upgrades to ensure the timetable is competitive.

And the airlines benefits from several subsidies from the Federal Government as well.

If the "less government is better" crowd was right, Somalia would be a utopian paradise that people flock to for a nice idyllic lifestyle. I'm reasonably certain that isn't the case.

And the airlines benefits from several subsidies from the Federal Government as well.

If the "less government is better" crowd was right, Somalia would be a utopian paradise that people flock to for a nice idyllic lifestyle. I'm reasonably certain that isn't the case.
The bus companies have a very large road network to use that is essentially free to access (gas taxes only pay for a portion of the road cost, and a lot of vehicles share the road network to spread out costs as well.) If Amtrak wants to expand, it has to pay a fee to the railroad owners along with paying for any needed upgrades to ensure the timetable is competitive.
Yes, buses and planes still need federal subsidies. But are you going to tell me airline service is worse off because of American, United, Delta, and Southwest and bus service is worse off because of Greyhound and Megabus? Are you going to tell me if there was at least some private funding for trains that they wouldn't prosper? Not 100% but not 0% either. I don't know if Megabus is a serious bus company or a threat to Greyhound yet but certainly the competition can only help bus service cross country. What's wrong with some competition in train travel as well?

All I know is Amtrak has had almost 45 years and their service and national network in general has gotten worse since then. Look at the routes Amtrak has added since 1971 and the routes they cut. Do you think the routes added outweigh the ones cut? Why not give someone else a chance if they're interested?

That is a position that I would agree with and is a distinctly different one from "The lesser government is involved the better", which you stated earlier. Government does have a role and a huge one at that in enabling and fostering a capable transportation infrastructure and service. It cannot just walk away from that. Once the government does its job then private players can play on the infrastructure provided just as the buses and planes do. Due to historical reasons the way rail infrastructure is set up in the US is currently not as conducive to enabling universal passenger service of any kind, private or public, and that needs to be fixed pronto. But the fault really lies with the Class I railroads (private enterprise greed) than the government as far as that goes. If anything the fault of the government is in being too hands off as far as that goes. Not too much government, but too little.

For reference, the intercity bus network is anemic and has been shrinking. I have nothing against letting private entrerprise help out -- I'm a capitalist, I invest in utility companies -- but it can't even keep a bus from Ithaca to Syracuse running.

In certain situations less government can be better while with others its involvement is necessary. Concerning passenger rail we would not have it if government had not stepped in. The freight railroads didn't want to be in the business so Amtrak was created to save the national rail passenger network. This system is a vital part of the US transportation network that carries over 30 million passengers per year.

If there was a desire by private industry to get back in the passenger rail business they can easily do it. On several routes private railroads do participate in passenger rail, namely the Burlington (BNSF) in the Chicago area and the Iowa Pacific on the Hoosier state route BUT they do it with government assistance.

I would enjoy seeing a privatized Amtrak but its not going to happen. Today only 6 main corporations control the entire US long distance rail system (except for the NEC). If they had interest in passenger rail they would enjoy a friendly audience in Washington.

Government is involved in all aspects of transportation whether it be the roads, airports, ports or passenger rail. They receive large subsidies, except for Amtrak that receives about 3% of the total transportation budget. There is no such thing as pure privatization of any form of transportation.

Ask people who have Private, for profit Utility Companies, if they are glad that the evil Government doesn't own their Utilities!

And the tens of millions of Senior Citizens with Social Security and Medicare if they're ready to turn over their benefits to the Wall Street Sharks and Greedy Mega Banks!

And maybe we should make the Interstate Highway System Toll Roads so trucks can deliver our goods cheaper!

And do away with the minimum wage so we can compete with third world countries on the race to the bottom and while were at it repeal Obama Care so 30 Million more lose their Health care!That's what Emergency rooms are for as Mitt Romney said!

People that believe simplistic drivel like this make it possible for charlatans like Donald Trump, Rushbo,Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, Hannity, Glenn Beck etc etc to get rich preaching crap!

You could look it up but why let facts confuse you!

Just because a government doesn't do something doesn't mean greedy Wall Street has to do it.

There are for example mutual banks, owned by the members rather than greedy investors. There are housing associations. There are farming cooperatives. So there are plenty of constructs that work in the grey area between government, charity and big business and may incorporate elements of all three but are actually none of the these. I don't like the thinking that just because Wall Street doesn't handle something properly, the government should run it instead, or vice versa.

Free business thinking isn't all evil and neither is government. People need to break out of this bipolar way of thinking.

The OP actually asked about privatization of Amtrak. That's not at all the same as selling of Amtrak to the highest bidder and then forgetting about it.

I don't think anybody in the private sector would be crazy enough to buy Amtrak without there being a strong government commital to continue funding it.

But maybe a UK style franchsing system would work. The government seeks franchisees for all routes, setting performance targets and laying out a bonus / malus system for on time performance and building ridership and other goals in return for offering a guaranteed susbidy. In the UK an operator needs to renew its franchise something like every eight years. If a lot of investment is invloved the period is longer so the operator thus has more opportunity to recover benefits. Because the agreement once signed is set in stone for the duration and that subsidy cannot be taken away as long as the pre-agreed targets are met, this leads to stability. Amtrak on the other hand needs to fight for its budget every year with all the usual idiots threatening to zero out that budget, and this is detrimetal to long-term planning and investment.

In this respect, I propose that Amtrak would benefit from privatization.

The UK is a good example that government has to be involved. Government owns the track, ROW, and stations. Only some routes and lines have an above the rail operating profit. We can be sure some private company would like to operate above the rail costs only on the NEC

Back