Amtrak 704 new paint and logo?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAV

Hi

I spotted 704 one of the P32 "dual mode" locos today on the Chicago camera fresh from a Heritage Phase III paint job at Beech Grove.

Does anyone know what the extra log on the side is??

070116-704.jpg

Looking at a pic on FB, it says Empire Service. I also read that this is one of the dedicated engines for the Empire Service.

The first P32AC-DM #704 rebuild has come out wearing Phase IIIb livery. Some insiders are reporting that the entire fleet as it goes through rebuild will be repainted in Phase IIIb

See https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12509516_10204471251656399_1205804946118255378_n.jpg?oh=4e4dcfa7a39fa3708d68d4ec771cf5b8&oe=5744B239

There are a few unsubstantiated reports that as the P42s go through major overhaul they will also get Phase IIIb.

Should be interesting times ahead....

Meanwhile 8400 is getting Phase IIIb as expected at Beech Grove. Same is expected to happen to the Viewliner I fleet as it gradually cycles through the Grove. Not clear whether they will get the new layout at their next major maintenance cycle or not though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, for one, really like the IIIb scheme on the GE's. It looks smart and striking, which the "blue wave" scheme just does not have. Also, looking at that video courtesy of Agent, all I have to say is dayum! 704 needed that rehaul BAAAAAD! ^_^

The State of NY is paying for these repaints. Amtrak simply does not currently have the budget to repaint all of their locomotives to Phase IIIb, so any locomotives that get the paint right now are state funded.

The State of NY is paying for these repaints. Amtrak simply does not currently have the budget to repaint all of their locomotives to Phase IIIb, so any locomotives that get the paint right now are state funded.
Could you provide a source from where you learned that? Thanks.

Painting locomotives is a basic cost of doing business, Amtrak has successfully budgeted for it for 40+ years. If they can't afford to do it now they're in more trouble than I thought.

I've heard it from a few Amtrak sources, including a conductor and a foreman.

I've heard it from a few Amtrak sources, including a conductor and a foreman.
Unfortunately those are not the best of sources for matters related to Amtrak's finances, which is what we are talking about here.

Actually, the P42s are also scheduled to get the new livery as they run through major maintenance, which they will, since it is part of regular operations, as will the Viewliner Is. 8400 is receiving it as we speak. None of that has anything to do with New York State.

New York State like every other PRIIA 209 operation pays for equipment usage, part of which is targeted for capital maintenance. Amtrak decides on scheduling maintenance as needed for operations. The painting is happening as part of the current major overhaul cycle that the P32AC-DMs are going through to extend their useful life.

According to Beech Grove Employees last October on the 4rr.com site - "Amtrak no longer has a big enough budget to regularly refresh the paint on its locomotives. However, the employees can handle anything that is thrown at them when the budget permits. West coast state-funded programs are being worked on currently at Beech Grove, as well as occasional wreck - repaired paid for by the offending party's insurance."

www.4rr.com/INTRO/photos_001.htm - bottom of page

OK, I guess you have the true inside track on Amtrak's finances from the trusted source rr.com. So I won't waste my time arguing about it. ;)
I never said it was true, I just posted what I observed. Never in my post did I say "This is true and everyone else is wrong because 4rr said it". Even I do not trust 4rr very well, but I was just providing information that I found.

The track record of 4rr is such that if they say the sky is blue, I start to wonder if it really is pink.

If you want to find a specific P40 or P42, look there, the site is great for that. The commentary on the other hand is far from accurate.

Anyways, on the other side of things, looking at their budget this year they've allocated a healthy sum of funds for locomotive rebuild which I am guessing may or may not include paint.

Anyways, on the other side of things, looking at their budget this year they've allocated a healthy sum of funds for locomotive rebuild which I am guessing may or may not include paint.
Trust me, Cleaning up the exterior and applying livery or wrap is lost in the noise in the budget.

The P32 switch engines seem to be getting repainted in Phase V with their heavy rebuilds at Beech.

I like the nostalgia of Phase III as a limited heritage scheme, but it looks old and reminds me of a not-very-pleasant 80s-90s Amtrak. The large white stripe will very quickly turn yellow-ish with all the dust and dirt that doesn't come off in the car wash. Look at the new baggage cars - the three strips are already dull and dirty. The current dark blue band with small red and white pin stripes does a better job of hiding the dirt from a distance.

American Airlines got rid of their red, white and blue stripes for a current look. Is Greyhound repainting their buses back into an old 1990s paint scheme? Phase IV looks "current" to me. If you want to change - fine. But we're supposed to be moving forward, not backward.

Flame on...

Maybe we should reupholster the interior with orange walls, purple doors, tan curtains and brown seats while we're at it. Humph....

Maybe we should reupholster the interior with orange walls, purple doors, tan curtains and brown seats while we're at it. Humph....
LOL! Is this for the diesel engines? Or have we transitioned to passenger cars now?

Looks like you are the only one doing the flaming ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing that strikes me as odd is that 704 has a higher white stripe as opposed to the red stripe that the baggage cars are in, plus it only says Amtrak instead of Amtrak America, but that makes more sense since 704 is in Empire Service and not in long distance. Things are getting pretty interesting at Amtrak, and if what you're saying is true jis, I really look forward to seeing more consists similar to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back