Photo

Will you try for AGR status in 2016?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: AGR plans for 2016

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Will you try for AGR status in 2016?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What is the highest AGR status you have achieved for this year, or past years?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Have the changes to AGR changed your travel plans for 2016?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,613 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

I would point out though that this year I had to travel 2,200+ additional miles (compared to last year), collect bonus TQP on a few Acela First paid trips over that period when it was offered, and collect 2,000 TQP from the BoA Card in addition to that to make Select+. The amount of Free travel I had each year was about the same distance. Good thing I had some significant expenses like replacing some appliances and such. Though the real big travel bills were still payed on the United Card for the expensive international tickets.

#62 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

I got Select status by accident this year, due to waaaaay more trips than normal.  I don't know what good it does me, since it expires at the end of February and I have no more trips planned.  The free upgrade coupons are pretty useless since I don't travel on trains on which they work.

If you earned Select status in calendar year 2016, your status is good through 2/28/2018. The AGR page now shows 2/28/17, but sometime on or before 3/1/17 it will refresh and show 2018.

Oh!  Thank you, that's very helpful.  I have a trip planned in March, so it will have some benefit.  :-)

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#63 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:54 PM

Interestingly, I just got a AGR Monthly Status Report email in which my Select Status earned this year expires 2/28/2018 while the website still uses the 2017 expiration date.  In checking I found that Hilton Honors interestingly shows status earned this year on the website as expiring Feb 2017 while 2018 is the correct date.  American Airlines website has the same date anomaly since I am permanent Gold(million miler earned in 2005 before the more restrictive elite earning was instated).  The expiration date is rolled and updated every year in February.

#64 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

No changes here.  With the exception of overseas travel, if Amtrak doesn't go there, I don't go.  AGR changes don't affect that.

I've never "tried" for AGR status, but have been Select for the last 3 years.  The first two due primarily to LD sleeper travel (14 nights per year), and the most recent due to BoA credit card use.  This year I will make my 14 night quota, but haven't "earned" many points because most trips have been one night stands using points, of which fewer were required than with old system.

Incidentally, I question the wording of the first question.  It seems to be asking whether you would purchase Amtrak tickets merely for the purpose of achieving status (so-called points runs).  It never made sense to me to pay for travel just to get points.  The points are just a fringe benefit. 

The only real question I see is is my credit card strategy of loading all customary and normal expenses on the AGR fee card optimal.  Since my only luxury is sleeping  car travel, I don't see the point of wasting what brain power I have left on that question.

#65 uppereastsider

uppereastsider

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak Select+

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:54 PM

Believe I just took my final Amtrak trip of the year. Will end up at 17,000 TQPs and see no need to try to get to Select Executive. Now, I only wish Amtrak had rollover TQPs similar to Delta!

#66 Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

I have never had select status and never worried about attaining it since train travel was infrequent. But this year, due to multiple family crises, I traveled so much that I am within range of it! (800 points).

So if someone could help me figure this all out?

What is the advantage to select status?

How do I calculate how many points I can earn for trips? I gather from other posts that it has to do with segments but I haven't yet found a definition for "segment" - it sounds like it is one train. Do the number of trains matter more than the length of my trip on a train?

I'd really appreciate someone explaining all this.

Edited by Chey, 05 December 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#67 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,597 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:14 AM

Select gets you:

• Two one-class upgrade coupons (coach to business, business to first, but no sleeper). Upgrades confirmed within 12 hours of departure.
  • Two single-visit passes to Club Acela or Metropolitan lounges
  • 25% bonus for points earned for Amtrak travel (bonus points do not count toward tier qualification)
  • Ability to make outbound points to points transfers to Choice and Hilton hotel programs up to 50,000 points
  • Priority call handling for phone reservations or service (allegedly)

Paid Amtrak coach or sleeper travel earns 2 points per dollar. Business Class (Acela or conventional) earns 2.5 points per dollar. Acela First earns 3 points per dollar.

#68 Chey

Chey

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:North American passenger trains, especially Amtrak and VIA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

Thank you! Much simpler than I thought!

#69 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:13 AM

With a pair of legs outstanding (CHI-WAS and WAS-NPN), it looks like I'm back in for SE for another year.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#70 wdscott

wdscott

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

Historically there have been reports of a "soft landing". That being defined as dropping no more than one AGR status level in one transition. However there has not been, to the limited extent I've looked, any publicly facing policy on that pre or post the 1Q16 AGR plan transition. Anyone have some insight here?

--Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users