Photo

Will you try for AGR status in 2016?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Poll: AGR plans for 2016

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Will you try for AGR status in 2016?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

What is the highest AGR status you have achieved for this year, or past years?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Have the changes to AGR changed your travel plans for 2016?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,821 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

That is what I expect will happen to me next year, since I will now be amazed if I even make Select, after I canned the trip to Washington DC for the NARP meeting and changed over to travel by air due to low fares and saving an entire vacation day or two in the process.

#42 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:43 PM

I'm going to try to maintain S+ status at least this year. I front loaded about 800-1000 tqp in January before the change. I am planning 2 overnight Roomette trips this year, and I'm considering the credit card for the tqp bonus. But my main strategy is business class with the 25% tqp bonus. If you ride BC, you ge S+ with a $4K spend instead of a $5K spend.

The main benefit of S+ to me is the lounge, especially at DC and NY. Can't stand the crowds and cattle lines.

#43 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:34 PM

I'm going to try to maintain S+ status at least this year. I front loaded about 800-1000 tqp in January before the change. I am planning 2 overnight Roomette trips this year, and I'm considering the credit card for the tqp bonus. But my main strategy is business class with the 25% tqp bonus. If you ride BC, you ge S+ with a $4K spend instead of a $5K spend.

The main benefit of S+ to me is the lounge, especially at DC and NY. Can't stand the crowds and cattle lines.

I'm torn. I thought about trying to make it to S+ for the lounge access, but I can get the same access with United Club membership for much less that $5000 dollars in one year. I'm not taking the corridor trains as much this year since my clients are closer now and that is where the bulk of my points came from.

#44 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:08 AM

I'm presently at 3805 TQPs (1000 from the CCs, 2805 from travel).  My best guess at the moment is that I'll manage to barely knock my way to SE this year...

...but a lot of that is down to the fact that I know I'll have a few paid trips thrown in (mostly to/from FL).  It's quite possible I'll wind up far short (though the odds of not making Select Plus seem absurdly remote: At my present pace I ought to make it to about 8500 TQPs from travel by the end of the year; I should end up over the edge on the basis of another lone CC batch).  A lot of the "sweet spots" are sort-of dead for me; though the TQP bonus for Regional BC is nice, that is now the only edge the Regional has on the LD trains heading south from DC (the Silvers now theoretically have wifi; before, the question was "Wifi or private room" but now that choice is moot since I can have both).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#45 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:41 PM

I'm torn. I thought about trying to make it to S+ for the lounge access, but I can get the same access with United Club membership for much less that $5000 dollars in one year. I'm not taking the corridor trains as much this year since my clients are closer now and that is where the bulk of my points came from.

I thought about getting United Club membership, which I think is about $500 per year.  However, with S+ I can get my wife or daughter in the lounge with me if we're traveling together.  I believe (and maybe I'm wrong), but the United Club membership only gets the holder into the lounge.  Besides, I almost never fly United, as BWI is my home airport, and when I fly, I usually take Southwest.

#46 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,446 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

I thought about getting United Club membership, which I think is about $500 per year.  However, with S+ I can get my wife or daughter in the lounge with me if we're traveling together.  I believe (and maybe I'm wrong), but the United Club membership only gets the holder into the lounge.  Besides, I almost never fly United, as BWI is my home airport, and when I fly, I usually take Southwest.

United Club members can access Club Acela with two guests, or spouse and all children under age 21.  Note that United Club membership grants access to Club Acela only. It does not grant access to Metropolitan or other Amtrak lounges.

#47 TXhawk

TXhawk

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

Sticking to my original post when the New and Unimproved AGR2.0 was announced, I will only make one LD Trip a year on Amtrak with AGR Points( already booked my AGR RT for October from Austin to Denver for the Gathering) with other trips involving driving, flying or Mega Bus!( much cheaper for short to mid-range travel).

I will spend the LD travel money I used to spend on Amtrak for a Winter trip on the Canadian which is still the best LD Train in North America!

My AGR points will come from using the BOA Credit Card for every day expenses and some travel expenses.( and I'll will no longer buy points when the promos are offered, they are now too expensive!)

My point runs on the Eagles to Taylor and Temple on Amtrak are History( how I made my Status), and my Annual Select or Select Plus Status is also a thing of the past.

As many have said, it was Great while it Lasted! I'll miss it!!!

Will soon make a multi-stop trip back East, our first under under AGR 2.0, 

Yes, I made a few runs between DAL - FTW to complete Select level, but no more.

Agree!  VIA's Canadian is the best LD train in North America.  Used the old AGR for the DAL-SEA and the BUF-DAL legs for 3 years in a row.  Now will use Southwest Air to the West Coast to catch the Starlight, and then Southwest Air  from Buffalo back to Dallas Love Field.  I look forward to the Brightline in Florida, hopefully next year.

#48 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

I've earned Select again this year.  Only need a 3500+ to reach Select Plus but living in Nashville with no Amtrak service(thruway to St Louis is not Amtrak to me), I will not make it.  I only have one trip remaining CZ Chicago to Emeryville followed later by CS Emeryville to LAX in October in Roomette - not enought for 3500 points.  To Chicago and from Los Angeles is award travel from American Airlines.

#49 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:29 AM

Okay, this topic has been laid dormant, but I shall bring it to life once again. Although I just can't make AGR Select this year, I may barely be able to make that happen next year, once I manage to take 18 trips next year, with three of them in a sleeper and/or a few in CS Biz class (if that's still a thing next year). Never been gone Select or beyond just yet.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015

Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail

Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9

Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC

Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#50 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,821 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 07:44 AM

Against all odds, mainly due to TQP earned through the AGR card and the bonus TQP period aligning accidentally with my previously planned Acela trips, I managed to squeak in another year of Select+.

Edited by jis, 11 November 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#51 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:32 PM

I will be Selective Executive another year, with a little help from TQP bonuses from credit card.

Amtrak miles: 199,559; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean.

#52 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

I made Select and may make Select+ in December.  How do you earn TQP bonuses from the credit card?  I have the fee card but have not received TQP bonuses from the card.

#53 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,821 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

I made Select and may make Select+ in December.  How do you earn TQP bonuses from the credit card?  I have the fee card but have not received TQP bonuses from the card.

You have to spend enough money using it.

#54 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:42 PM

When the nearest Amtrak station is about 275 miles away, it's quite difficult achieving any status.  American Airlines is another story.

#55 amamba

amamba

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

The lack of the 750 point one way on Acela in FC - even with an upgrade coupon - has kept me from status. I won't bother to try this year. First year in sometime that I won't be select and my H won't be S+.

#56 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:04 PM

Yes, I live in Nashville about 200 miles from nearest Amtrak station either on the CONO or Crescent routes and only use my BoA CC for Amtrak charges mostly LD trips.  I make enough of those each year to make Select.  This is first year I will make it to Select+ and I had to add a day trip DC to Wilmington Regional BC and return Wilmington to DC on Acela FC to earn the +.  Only benefit I can use is the extra bonus points for Select+ on all my paid trips.  Never been able to use the upgrade or companion tickets traveling sleeper class on LD trains.

#57 penguinflies

penguinflies

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

I am 91 points away from Select plus with one trip not counted yet.  I noticed it's taking Amtrak longer than usual to post the trips.  My CZ trip posted two days into our travel.  Of the last two Lincoln service rides, one took 6 days to post, the other ride taken now 11days and has not posted.  (Not a complaint, just an observation).

T

This year was about 40-50 round trips between CHI and STL with business class upgrades.  I think I rode coach about 6 times out of that.  1 oneway on the California Zephyr CHI to RIC.  The B of A card maxed out.

BofA you need to spend $5000 to get 1000 tqp with the max amount earned by credit card spending being 4000 TQP per calendar year.

I maxed out that benefit by prepaying my utilities (speed pay fee of $2.75 per transaction with no % fee per transaction), and prepaying my condo dues ($2.75 per transaction with 2% to reduce their cost of the credit card fee).

I just started my last Lincoln Service multi ride ticket of the year during the tail end of double days to max out on my point earning during the promotion.  During the promotion I was buying one-way business class tickets to max out the 25% premium bonus.  With the 10-ride and accommodation upgrade, Amtrak only gives a bonus on the $21 accommodation charge.

For 2016 to make Select Plus in the midwest:

4000  -B of A

1633 - CZ Trip over Halloween.

5500 - Riding the Lincoln Service

#58 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

I am Select until the end of February of next year. With the change of AGR in January and the loss of the 100 point minimum, there is no way I can achieve Select for next year. I have been a Select member for several years, but all good things end.I was one of those point run people. I would get 400 points during Double days riding the Keystones between Elizabethtown and Harrisburg or Lancaster for $11,04 round trip for many years.. It was a great run.

#59 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:30 AM

I got Select status by accident this year, due to waaaaay more trips than normal.  I don't know what good it does me, since it expires at the end of February and I have no more trips planned.  The free upgrade coupons are pretty useless since I don't travel on trains on which they work.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#60 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,446 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:19 AM

I got Select status by accident this year, due to waaaaay more trips than normal.  I don't know what good it does me, since it expires at the end of February and I have no more trips planned.  The free upgrade coupons are pretty useless since I don't travel on trains on which they work.

If you earned Select status in calendar year 2016, your status is good through 2/28/2018. The AGR page now shows 2/28/17, but sometime on or before 3/1/17 it will refresh and show 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users